Another question, how much will gender matter?

theresa92841

Gigi Monster & Evil Puppy
Yes, I'm sure the temperment makes the biggest difference. But I'm speaking from the experiences I've had with all my dogs at work (dozens of dogs that I've worked with for usually 6 months to 1 year), my friends' dogs, and the dogs I've lived with (mine and roommates' dogs). All were also spayed/neutered. But again, yes, they are broad generalizations, and there are always exceptions.
Maybe Californian females are more chill. :D

And it seems like there are enough exceptions listed on this board for me to think the broad generalization overstates the situation. And who knows what goes into that generalization. Females with only other females. Females with males and females. Etc. Family situations, training situations, etc. Raised as a puppy with the other gender, rescued, etc. I think there are enough parameters to keep from knowing cause and effect in gender.

So we all can really just share our experiences . . .

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
I will always have females. I have found every male that I have owned to be way too needy and emotinal and very sensative to the silliest things. Dont get me wrong I love my male dogs, but for now one I will be sticking to female dogs. I find that they are a little more independant, Also even though that is the case they are still all very cuddly and they do not let the most juvinile things upset them. But that is just my experiance with male and female dogs.

lizzybeth727

And it seems like there are enough exceptions listed on this board for me to think the broad generalization overstates the situation.
Really? Because - not counting you and me - it seems that 4 people on this thread say that females are more independent and males seem more laid-back.... only one person says otherwise. :confused:

xpaeanx

You can add me to the side of males being easier. More laid back, less independent, less "serious," more love buggy.

This is from all the dogs I've had my entire life plus friends & family dogs which included, altered and intact, raised from puppies and rescues, kept with male/female female/female and male/male.

theresa92841

Gigi Monster & Evil Puppy
Really? Because - not counting you and me - it seems that 4 people on this thread say that females are more independent and males seem more laid-back.... only one person says otherwise. :confused:
I was talking about the generalization of having more than one female and how her female would get on with a female vs a male. Which is what I thought the OP was asking about. And I counted several that think females can be fine together and you don't have to get a male for it to work out.

So maybe we are having two different discussions and aren't even talking about the same thing.

~Tucker&Me~

Thanks again for the advice. For awhile in my life an older dog was the only thing I would consider. The reason I am not considering an older dog is because I have a little guy to worry about. I want a large dog, and even Jasper, knocks him over from time to time. I'm hoping if we get a puppy, since it starts off smaller than my son, it will keep that mindset as it grows bigger, plus, if it's a puppy and I miss preventing it from jumping on him a few times while it is young, it won't hurt him. i just think a puppy is the better bet in our situation. it can grow up with koen and jasper, and learn how our life presents itself from a young age. I feel like any young puppy raised right (except a puppy from dogs that were bred to fight or for agression, I would worry about that) will grow into a well adjusted and well behaved dog. If i were to adopt an older dog, I don't know it's history, I don't know any things that would possibly put my son in danger. maybe it was abused and say, my son is carrying a newspaper and that sets it into defense mode. I dont know. our foster dog was a great example of that, she was absolutely amazing with koen. loved him. we considered adopting her. But there were random times when jasper being near her set her off and she would snarl and snap. That is why we couldn't keep her, because if koen got in the way of that, there could have been unthinkable results. A puppy probably wouldn't have these kind of issues. and if it did, it's small enough and young enough to deal with.

I understand hesitation with rescue dogs, but don't forget that breeders often have show prospects that don't work out. These dogs are generally older but still in the puppy stages. Good breeders will have well socialized and well rounded dogs, and you can talk thoroughly with them about the personality of the animal and whether or not it would be suitable for a young child.

I hate to be a downer, I am just worried that you may bite off more then you can chew with a puppy. Like others have mentioned, puppies will try and play with your child's toys, and they go through the shark stage. Those puppy teeth are brutal and could harm your toddler.

You could

noludoru

Bored Now.
I hope I don't offend anyone, but the title of this thread has been bugging me and I needed to say something.

[Gender is] "the socially constructed roles, behaviors, activities, and attributes that a given society considers appropriate for men and women".
[Sex is] either the male or female division of a species, esp. as differentiated with reference to the reproductive functions.
What we're really referring to in this thread is the sex of dogs, not their gender, as they don't have a gender.

When it comes to the actual topic of the thread, I'm firmly in the "it doesn't matter" camp. Each dog is an individual, and that matters more than what their reproductive organs are. Finding the right fit for your family is going to involve meeting lots of dogs and finding the one whose temperament and energy level work best for your lifestyle.

LilahRoot

How old is your child? If under the age of 6 I'd suggest an older dog, not a puppy. Puppies are as time consuming as toddlers. You must be able to provide sufficient exercise, training, and metal stimulation to a puppy.

My puppy is 4 months and I am just being able to sleep through the night without having to be up to take him potty.

I took him to visit with my friend who has a toddler and we spent the entire time either removing toddler toys from the puppy and giving him something appropriate or keeping him from annoying the toddler and vice versa. It was a hectic visit and something I couldn't imagine having to do day after day. This isn't a non-dog savvy friend either. She owns 3 of her own dogs and is housing two rescues and she does dog competitions with me. She even commented that she had forgotten how busy puppies are.
I agree with this a million percent! I think that you should REALLY think it over before bringing a puppy home with a child that is not even two years old yet. What if the puppy starts to bite your child? What if the puppy goes to the bathroom on the floor where your child is crawling, napping, eating? It happens. I also would NOT bring home a "free puppy" with a toddler in the house. You could be exposing your child to all kinds of diseases, parasites, etc. That is extremely irresponsible IMO.

I wouldn't be worried about getting an adult dog that would knock your son down, I would be worried about getting a puppy that will use him as a chew toy.

I've raised male and female pups together 3 times, two of those pairs were littermates. I have to say that the female pups were the ones who woke me up at night, were the nervous nellies (barking and going off the deep end over minor noises), and were the instigators of most of the fights that they had with each other.

I got King and Molly when they were about 9 weeks old. I was shocked at how different they were. King, from day one, slept all night, not a peep out of him. Molly would pant, pace around, and wanted out every 3 hours, max. The panting and huffing puffing was very annoying, to the point that King began glaring at her and growling at her when she would walk into my bedroom. It wasn't that she actually had to go, she just couldn't sit still that long. That hasn't changed much. King sleeps all night, and every couple of hours, Molly wanders the house. She knows better than to wake King up, so she just passes through, and goes out through the doggy door. A few days ago, the neighbors started a car up with no muffler, and Molly went off. King was stretched out on the couch and ignored her at first, but after a while, his head popped up, and then the ears went up. Molly saw him staring at her, and went back to bed.

When I had the other pair of littermates, they both slept ok, but the female pup seemed to get upset much more easily than the male pup did, even though the male was very hyper in general. With the two unrelated pups, it was the same way. She whimpered when she heard other dogs, any really loud noise, birds, etc. The male pup was much more laid back.

Personality wise, the males took the prize, it was no contest. If I do the two pups thing again, depending on the breed, I might just get two males next time.

sugarskull

I have observed over the years that females tend to be more independent, investigative, etc... and males to be more clingy, glued to your side, petting addicts. This only applies to their GENERAL personality. They are equally as loving, loyal, and enjoyable and there are positives and negatives of both.

As far as getting along, I don't think mixing the sexes makes a difference. If properly socialized at a young age, a puppy will more than likely get along with your dog. I think it's more of a question of what your current dog will tolerate and that (in my opinion) will be a matter of matching personalities.

My only advice is to take your time acquiring the right dog for your situation. Do a lot of research on how to pick a puppy, introducing the new dog etc...

I would also encourage you to get a rescue dog. If you speak with your local shelter, often they will have dogs/puppies who they have background info on and/or have been fostered with other pets and children. Also, often times they will allow if not require that you bring your dog to meet the new one to make sure they can get along. If they don't have a dog that meets your needs, you don't have to adopt one right then. Just keep looking for the right match.

Members online

No members online now.