What do you think of this breeder?

jammer

High Maintenance
I've been wanting a little schnauzer pup for a very long time. I've found a breeders website and it seems legit. The prices are a little steep, but I don't know how much a good quality puppy goes for.

http://www.lonestarschnauzercountry.com/photos.htm

Does anyone else know of any reputable mini schaunzer breeders? We won't be ready to buy for a few months- 1 year and we are definitely willing to wait for the "right" puppy. I wanted to start a little research now though and figure out what the best option would be.

jammer

High Maintenance
Thanks so much. I've read a lot about the schnauzers and I really love their little personalities. I'm hoping to buy a good quality dog and use her/him for a therapy dog in the future.

Lizmo

Water Junkie
I didn't look very much, but none of there breeding stock has ANY titles :( That should have been a red flag.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Remember that claims such as 'Champion sired' and 'Champion lineage' means nothing really if they don't compete with their own dogs.

jammer

High Maintenance
So it's better if they have titles for their own dogs? What does that imply? I guess I'm not really looking for a show dog. More a really well bred family companion and possible therapy dog. I don't know what I should be looking for, I guess!:eek:

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Well, a lot of BYB and puppymills can have 'Ch lined' dogs. All that means is someone let one of their show lined dogs into a home without a foolproof spay/neuter policy. Not all show bred dogs are breeding quality. Just because a dog's sire is a champion does not mean that the dog is up to standard at all.

The reason I like seeing titles is it tells me that the people put time into their dogs. A Ch title shows to me that a dog is a good looking example of their breed. If I'm going to spend money on a certain breed, I want to make sure the dog I get is going to look as close to the standard as possible. I also like seeing either obedience or agility or tracking or CGC titles too. (at least in my breed) They prove to me once again that the dogs are multi-functional or that they have a good temperament and that the breeder puts time into the dogs.

I guess it comes down to this for me. If I'm going to buy a dog- in this case a schnauzer- and I want to go the breeder route, I want my schnauzer to look like a schnauzer and to act like a schnauzer. Titles help insure this because in order to get these titles, judges would have to evaluate these dogs. Not all dogs that are bred by responsible breeders are titled, but the majority should be and if the breeding dogs are not titled, I want to know why not.

Also look for health clearances such as OFA and CERF. I['m not sure what schnauzers are generally tested for.

Lizmo

Water Junkie
Well, a lot of BYB and puppymills can have 'Ch lined' dogs. All that means is someone let one of their show lined dogs into a home without a foolproof spay/neuter policy. Not all show bred dogs are breeding quality. Just because a dog's sire is a champion does not mean that the dog is up to standard at all.

The reason I like seeing titles is it tells me that the people put time into their dogs. A Ch title shows to me that a dog is a good looking example of their breed. If I'm going to spend money on a certain breed, I want to make sure the dog I get is going to look as close to the standard as possible. I also like seeing either obedience or agility or tracking or CGC titles too. (at least in my breed) They prove to me once again that the dogs are multi-functional or that they have a good temperament and that the breeder puts time into the dogs.

I guess it comes down to this for me. If I'm going to buy a dog- in this case a schnauzer- and I want to go the breeder route, I want my schnauzer to look like a schnauzer and to act like a schnauzer. Titles help insure this because in order to get these titles, judges would have to evaluate these dogs. Not all dogs that are bred by responsible breeders are titled, but the majority should be and if the breeding dogs are not titled, I want to know why not.

Also look for health clearances such as OFA and CERF. I['m not sure what schnauzers are generally tested for.

Yup :) Well said, Laurelin. In the case of my breed, I want to see working title on dogs that I am looking at. Not show titles because, they are breeding for looks and not temp. and health, and well that's a whole nother thread.
But def. look for titles ON there breeding STOCK...not on the past dogs.
Also you said you wanted a dog for therapy work, most show dogs are going to have the right temperment for therapy work because they are from show lines and that would most of the time imply that they are going to have good temp for that. Since they are show dogs they are being handled ALL the time.

Maxy24

So it's better if they have titles for their own dogs? What does that imply? I guess I'm not really looking for a show dog. More a really well bred family companion and possible therapy dog. I don't know what I should be looking for, I guess!
Isn't it frustrating! Most people have no idea what to look for in a breeder and think as long as the pups are healthy and in a good clean environment then it is a great breeder. Many people know what a puppy mill is but very few know what a back yard breeder is and why they are bad. To address your first question yes the parents (both parents) of your puppy should be champions in the show ring. No you don't want a show dog but you want a well bred dog that fits the standard and is a good representation of the breed. After all this shows they are bettering the breed and not just breeding for the money. The only way to prove you have good standard dogs is to show and win championships. Another thing I saw no where on that site was OFA (or other testings of that kind) testing on any dogs. OFA testing should be done on both parents to insure neither of them carry the genes or have the diseases/conditions common to the breed or that dogs are very prone to such as hip dysplasia, luxating(might have spelled that wrong) patella, Elbow dysplasia, thyroid problems, eye problems, and more specific problems common in the specific breed. Without those tests you are risking getting a dog with those problems when you could lessen your chances by choosing a breeder who tests. This also shows they are not just in it for money. I also noticed that this breeder has 4 litters all coming in the same month :yikes: What good breeder would have time to raise and properly socialize ALL those puppies, clearly they are in it for money (pump out as many dogs as fast as possible for the most profit). Even more shocking was that they are being born in early May and are "ready to go" in mid June!!! That is way to young to be selling pups. that would be what 5 or six week old puppies, thats just asking for an unstable temperament. Definitely choose a different breeder. Most breeders that are good will not actually sell the pups online without meeting you first or talking to you over the phone and really getting to know you and for you know the breeder. Try going to a dog show and talking to the owner of the min. schnauzer being shown and see if she breeds or ask about the breeder of her dog. Also the list showpug gave you will be very good it was found from the Miniature Schnauzer club of America website. That is the best place to look for lists of breeders for any breed you desire just google (breed) club or America and somewhere on the site there will be a list of breeders affiliated with the club. Good luck in finding a breeder and dog!

otch1

Hi Jammer.. showpug gave you a great list to referance from. Do your homework. Meet as many breeders as you can. There are always pros and cons to buying a dog from a hobby breeder, as well as some proffessional breeders. Some pro breeders can have as many health problems in their line, as the good hobby breeder. Many consider all of their dogs "show quality' and will sell them for a very high price, even thought they really are pets. Some will insist on a co-ownership contract and those can be a real headache if you and the breeder should come to any disagreement in the future. A hobby breeder can have several nice dogs that have an occassional litter that's sound and healthy, approriate testing done and well socialized. This breeder looks like neither. Unfortunately, too many breeding pairs, too many litters, obviously not a pro- breeder with proven dogs, but she's also not selling these pups for pet price! Research as many breeders as possible and it never hurts to look someone up with the Better Business Bureau before you write that check. They should have a license and a tax i.d number in order to sell dogs for profit. Any prior complaints or legal issues with a breeder will be easily accessed there.

They refer to their dogs as the "breeding crew" ... how tacky!

Edited to add from their website...

Boarding: Our Miniature Schnauzer Puppies are ready to go to their new homes at 7-8 weeks of age. If a puppy is kept at Lone Star past 8 weeks of age at the customer's request, boarding will be charged at the rate of $10/day.
They seem to want to get rid of the pups fast.. I wouldn't think this would be a common practice among most breeders. If you've got a good home for a pup why charge per day if the owners can't pick up on an exact date?!

Net4n6

Check your PM.

I pmed you information regarding the mini schnauzer breeder that I got my pup from. The best decision I ever made was got a mini from her.

Hmm, I would'nt really trust this breeders,they seem,well....
Dodgy really.Just my opinion though,I could be completely wrong.
Why not adopt a dog,hmm?
Go on! Adopt!

Maxy24

Why not adopt a dog,hmm?
Go on! Adopt!

i can't believe i didn't mention that! (time for guilt trip) j/k but seriously it's good to consider! i could not find any mini ones but I searched Schnauzer and clicked small for size and just look at them

http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=7901776
http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=7906084
http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=7879877
http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=7942912

Just something to think about ;)

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Well, the OP said they were looking for a dog from a breeder. Some people choose to adopt, others choose to buy from a reputable breeder. Either decision is fine to me and if Jammer wants to be sure he/she is getting a high quality schnauzer, there is nothing wrong with that.

jammer

High Maintenance
Wellllll....I currently have a lab mix that was an adoptee and LET..ME..TELL...YOU...:popcorn:

She is a piece of work and a half. Food aggression, general wariness of people, the whole shabang. We got her at nine months. We've been hand feeding this dog for about a month with only slight progress with the food aggression. I have thought about adopting, but I have a nine year old. I also want more kids, so I really want to know where this dog is coming from. Our current dog is very touch and go and we might have to rehome her eventually. She's put teeth on me before and she absolutely can't be trusted. That's why I am hesitant to adopt.

Maxy24

ok I understand, just thought I'd put it out there but respect your decision either way as long as you get a pup from a good breeder and not a BYB. Though i still don't think you should let one bad experience keep you from adopting again (but not from the same place, from a place that screens better) OK i'll stop now I promise *hehe* I totally understand what you mean though you don't want to risk putting your children in an unsafe environment with an unpredictable "time bomb" dog. Good luck in your search!

PS: have you posted anything in the training section about your current dog, we may be able to help.

-Erin :)

Members online

No members online now.