Congestive heart failure, help please

shazbot

not so newby
KC my golden who will turn 8 in Dec might have congestive heart failure. He goes in for x-rays, ekg and a few other tests on Thursday to have this confirmed. He's got all the symptoms, coughing, weight loss, fluid build up, lethary, no appetite...etc...

Can any body give me some info on what to expect? Is this something that the vet can medicate to help or is this something that I should have him pts to avoid him suffering? I don't want him to go through the pain and suffering if there is any. I certainly don't want to come home to him having passed alone while I was at work because of this.

Please any information you can give me on this would be greatly appreciated.

elegy

overdogged
if you can afford it and it's feasible, i'd really encourage you to take him to a board certified cardiologist. they will have the best information and the most cutting edge treatments available.

there's a lot that can be done for heart problems. there are heart medications out the wazoo for all the different types of heart issues. with medication, depending on the type of heart disease, dogs can have good quality of life for quite some time.

thinking good thoughts for you and kc and fingers crossed that medication will help him be comfortable again.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I can't help too much past what Elegy said. I had a sheltie with CHF and she lived a long, full life with a lot of quality even towards the end.

Sending you lots of good vibes and (((HUGS)))

adojrts

I know it is hard but don't despair until after all the testing has been done. My dog had been dx with CHF put on meds etc because of x-rays showing an enlarged heart which also could have been what they called an athletes heart. He also had other synptoms.
Needless to say I was very upset........we then went to a cardiologist had more testing done including an Ultrasound. His heart was fine, he had a lung infection, which was treated and cleared up.

shazbot

not so newby
Thank you for the advice. He will be going to a cardiologist, as he is insured. Just really hard right now, if it is CHF I don't know what I'll do. This is the same thing my mom passed from...so it's even harder to deal with. :(

I just want to sit in a corner and cry...

Barb04

Super Moderator
My friend's dog had the same problem. She finally took her dog to a Holistic vet. The vet gave the dog accupuncture treatments that helped with the congestion almost immediately. I know she also had to give her dog some supplements the Holistic vet prescribed. You can find a holistic vet on this site: AHVMA - American Holistic Veterinary Medical Association

puppydog

Tru evil has no pantyline
Lilly is living with it everyday. She is medicated, walked everyday and MOST importantly, I have taken her off corn. She is on a raw diet. Change him over to a healthy, preservative free diet. Lillys medication has recently been halved because of her food.

shazbot

not so newby
Lilly is living with it everyday. She is medicated, walked everyday and MOST importantly, I have taken her off corn. She is on a raw diet. Change him over to a healthy, preservative free diet. Lillys medication has recently been halved because of her food.
So what should I expect on his day to day living? I've been reading that most dogs don't live past 6 months after diagnosis. What kinds of things should I be looking for?

puppydog

So what should I expect on his day to day living? I've been reading that most dogs don't live past 6 months after diagnosis. What kinds of things should I be looking for?
What medication is he going to be put on?
Lilly has become a puppy again, she is on Fortekor and Lasix. She has her days when she is a little tired but otherwise totally fine.

Watch for fatigue, coughing, lethergy and disinterest in food. If he coughs up phlegm, collect it in a jar and take it to the vet. Ensure any little cold, cough and sniffle is checked out, you can't take risks with them.

Once he is on the road to feeling better, start exersizing him every day. He is going to need gentle exersize to build up that heart muscle.
Lilly goes on a 9km walk every morning, and she was near death 7 months ago. The vet is expecting her to make her full life expectancy. Don't let yourself be bogged down by doom and gloom. There is so much that can go RIGHT with this. Keep positive and do all you can.

shazbot

not so newby
What medication is he going to be put on?
Lilly has become a puppy again, she is on Fortekor and Lasix. She has her days when she is a little tired but otherwise totally fine.

Watch for fatigue, coughing, lethergy and disinterest in food. If he coughs up phlegm, collect it in a jar and take it to the vet. Ensure any little cold, cough and sniffle is checked out, you can't take risks with them.

Once he is on the road to feeling better, start exersizing him every day. He is going to need gentle exersize to build up that heart muscle.
Lilly goes on a 9km walk every morning, and she was near death 7 months ago. The vet is expecting her to make her full life expectancy. Don't let yourself be bogged down by doom and gloom. There is so much that can go RIGHT with this. Keep positive and do all you can.

I don't know what meds the vet will put him on. I will find out tomorrow. I will post more tomorrow when I get him from the vet.

Thank you for the advice, reading that you have a dog living a happy fullfilled life with this makes me feel so much better. He's definitely my boy.

puppydog

He will be fine. If you have caught it early enough you can almost stop it in it's tracks. It does get expensive! I buy all of Lillys medicaiton right away at the beginning of the month so I know I will have it before I run out of money.

shazbot

not so newby
Watch for swollen legs too .

I did read about that also. I have been very vigilant in watching for any kind of warning signs that might require an ER visit.

I know that the meds can get expensive along with the vet treatment. I'm so glad that I decided to get him insurance. It makes it much easier to make decisions based on how my boy is doing, and not having to worry about whether I can afford it or not.

I'm still holding out hope that this isn't the issue with him. But I want to be prepared for the worse so I'm not blind sided about what could be.

Thank you all again for your advice and support.

AnitaF

Members online

No members online now.