Jazz is being a b!tch to Emma

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
Now she is in NO way showing HA or really DA just towards Emma. They are fine together in thier 1 acer run but just now Emma was on my bed and Jazz atacked her. No blood drawn and Jazz stoped when I yelled but Emma didnt. They both got hauled to thier crates. Yesterday Jazz was laying in the chair and Emma walked by. Jazz growled. I thought it was a tired groan. Emma went to sniff Jazz almost took her face off. It was a lunge not a fight. They play together fine.

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
It seems like a posesion thing. Emma was on the bed with Eric me and Jazz and Jazz growled last week. We told her to stuff it and that was the end of it. Right now new rule. 2 legged or feline on the couches or beds only. No dogs. Any other ideas?

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
She turned 2 in Feb. She has been pushing the rules a bit like seeing what she can get away with and general manners but that was easily corrected with re enforcement. I am thinking it was a comming into maturaty thing but it was never agression.

Romy

Taxiderpy
Who is usually "in charge" in the household? Maybe Jazz is trying to challenge Emma or something now that she's grown? Not really sure what the right course of action would be, but taking away their privileges feels like the right way to go about it. If it's resource guarding, she can't guard something she doesn't have.

Strider used to get a little uppity sometimes with other dogs when they were visiting, or we were house sitting with my aunt's dogs. He plays perfectly and sweetly with them. Even the little poo puppy, he spent 45 mins playing tug of war with her Sunday and kept letting her win. But then he would be chewing on a bone or getting a treat, and if one of the dogs came near him he would roar and lunge. I don't know if it was completely the right thing to do, but I took all his stuff away and made him earn it all back. Kind of like being grounded. Anyway, he lost his bed, his toys, his treats. His dinner went in my pocket and he spent three days on a 4 foot leash tied to my belt. He had to do good stuff to earn his regular meal throughout the day. He wasn't even allowed to pee without me telling him okay. When he finally earned everything back (it took about a week) he was totally better though. Better overall. He stopped being a hormonal jerk and he stopped resource guarding with the other dogs. Maybe being grounded reminded him that "his stuff" was really mine on loan to him? Another nice side affect, is that he now unloads his pee in one trip instead of saving it to mark 20 different trees on our walk. Yay for not marking!

Maybe a similar treatment for Jazz would work? I don't know if in the long term it was a good thing to do, maybe one of the more knowledgeable trainer types on here can help?

R

RedyreRottweilers

Same sex aggression is not unusual in Dobes if I remember correctly.

Jazz is becoming mature. IF these were my dogs, I would keep a very close watch when I had them out together, and they would never be together unsupervised.

The Dobe is capable of killing the Beagle in seconds, as I'm sure you know.

I hope you get it worked out with them. I have 2 girls who don't get along, and it is a pain in the neck sometimes.

pacopoe

Yikes. Two females that don't get along are a trickier juggle than two males.

In addition to the advice already given, I'd set up a series of tie-downs in the house so you can have both in the same room safely. Even if only Jazz is down then at least both are safe (assuming Emma is not the aggressor).

The thing is that it needs to be nipped in the bud now. If now it will only escalate and then it will be a big issue. Good luck, it's a tricky one!

xpaeanx

YIKES! I'm sorry. I'm not sure what to tell, but I'll offer my best wishes that you can resolve this quickly. Maybe Jazz is reacting to all the stress you've been through lately? In anycase, I wish you the best!

B

Backward_Cinderella

Maybe its you? You're preggers, and Jazz may be sensing that and being protective of you because of it. Or does it happen when she's NOT near you? When my cousin was pregnant her dogs were on edge with eachother, the older dog got upset with the pup a lot because she was being hyper and they'd have similar scuffles. Just putting it out there.
I hope it gets better soon. <3

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
Thanks guys. Jazz is usually the one in charge. Its wierd because she can be around other dogs no problem its just Emma isnt aloud on the fuirnature now. I am thinking (and hoping) its a resorce guarding and or reacting to the stress in the household.

But yes they whont be left together unsupervised.

Also I dont have to be there.

R

RedyreRottweilers

Just be really careful. If I were you I would pick up some pepper spray, familiarize yourself with how it works, and keep it handy.

In my experience with Rottweilers, once a bitch starts giving these warning signs of aggression and intolerance, it only escalates.

If a real fight ever happens, it could save Emma's life, and prevent personal injury to whomever is there to break it up.

Sweet72947

Squishy face
We tried to have two females once. Daisy's ear was almost ripped off (horrible fight happened while I was at class, my parents weren't supervising appropriately). After that they couldn't be in the same room together without the other dog trying desperately to attack Daisy. I would put both on NILIF because Emma could be instigating Jazz with a look you might not even notice. I would probably be a little more strict with Jazz though, she needs to learn that crap won't be tolerated before it has a chance to escalate.

Members online

No members online now.