They apparently knew about the food poisoning.

GlassOnion

Thanks, and Gig 'em.
I'm sorry if this has already been posted, I"m just now finding it but the story is a day old so I'm not sure. Anyhow:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/03/20/national/main2587087.shtml?source=mostpop_story

7 out of the 50 sample size died. It's actually a 40-50 sample size (it doesn't specify in the article) but that's a 14 - 17.5 percent chance that an animal would die while eating this food. You'd think that someone at the agency would have thought "hmm, maybe we shouldn't feed this to animals."

It's a shame that they put profit over the well being of the animals.

ToscasMom

Harumph™©®
Hardly a surprise. They were counting up the profits and decided a few dead animals weren't going to get in the way. After all, only seven of the animals died, right? I mean when only seven out of fifty die just by eating your food, that can't be serious.

I predict the next story like this one will have the word Beneful in it.

Amstaffer

The reason they can get away with that kind of BS is people can't sue for huge amounts of money because dogs are just "property" like a VCR. If they sold tapes that ruined VCRs you could only sue for the replacement cost at best.

I found that out the hard way....I lost a 1 year old Rottie to malpractice vet, I could only sue him for what I paid for her and future potential earnings :mad: The court didn't care that she was the love of my life and I was crushed emotionally.

The company most likely rolled the dice hoping that the profit of food produced would out weigh the loss cause by bad PR. Greed is a wonderful thing :rolleyes:

ToscasMom

Harumph™©®
I hardly don't even recognize America anymore. Even the human food chain has gone to hell from spinach to peanut butter. Chicken has to be treated like toxic waste. Mad cows enter the system and it's always somebody else's fault. Nobody is watching the fox anymore, nobody cares who handles our food or even where it comes from. Accessibility to and affordability of good health care has gone to hell. Good jobs have been flushed. You can't even get decent customer service anymore. And now, our pets are just fodder. Nobody cares about anything but corporate profits anymore. All that humans hold dear just don't have a place here in the face of Profit anymore. Including freedoms. We have all the signs of not even being part of the civilized Western World anymore.

ACooper

It is truly a sad thing, I feel for the people who have lost their pets. It is one thing when it is accidental on the company's part, but this is something else. I think if it can/has been proved they knew, it should be a different ball game!

Members online

No members online now.