Training videos?

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
What are some good beginner training videos? Assume I know nothing about dog training. Does anyone do step by step, video by video training? I'm talking about sit, stay, heel, and then moving onto shaping tricks, etc.

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
I'm so excited! I watched two kikopup videos (what is clicker training? And fastest way to teach stay) and I wanted to load the clicker so i did click+treat a few times and then did sit+treat (since she knows sit already) and did that for a while, and then I decided to try to start luring a down. It took several times and some patience but she does it every time now! (with the lure). I'm really excited! I can't wait to try teaching other things. :) Going to work on sit and down until I can use only a verbal cue. How long typically should that take? The hardest part of training for me is not giving too much to learn at one time and knowing how soon to make it harder (ie removing the lure, etc).

Like the others said, Kikopup is a really good resource. I used a couple of the videos to teach my dog stuff and it was very effective.

Another resource I would recommend are ebooks (most come with vids). A lot of them catch a bad rep, but some of them are really helpful and come with a videos accompanying each exercise in the book. If you exhaust the resources of kikopup I would try a review site like http://thegreatdogs.com, the guy is a trainer and reviews a bunch of em. I used ebooks when training my puppies and they turned out great!

Good luck with the training!

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
I'd get rid of the lure asap. I usually lure just a couple times so Juno gets the motion, and then the lure is gone and its just a hand signal. Ill go back to using a lure if she's not following the empty hand but usually it's not necessary.

As far as how long to get verbal only -again depends on the dog and IME, the trick. How I do it is I say the command, wait a second, and then use the hand signal. It's important to make a distinct separation between the two, so don't say the command and use the hand signal at the same time. Eventually, when you say "down" she'll do it because she is anticipating that the hand signal will follow. And then you jackpot!

And you can technically train as many new things as you want as long as she doesn't get confused. I'm always starting.g multiple new things at the same time.

Hope that helps!

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
I loooove tab289... his gsd is so cute! And he is too ;)

I stick to one command at a time, until it's reliable. But you can get that command highly reliable in a few days if you practice several times a day. Do tons of puppy pushups before meal time, during commercial breaks, during playtime, etc. she'll be a pro at down in no time! Then start working on down stay.

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
Getting rid of the lure:

Make "food fingers" with your lure hand. Do everything EXACTLY as if you had food. As soon as she hits the deck, pop a treat in her mouth from the opposite hand. Do that a couple of times and she'll get that she doesn't have to see the food to get a reward. At that point, the bribe becomes a reward, and you have a hand signal. You gradually make the hand signal smaller (if it stops working, you made too dramatic of a change to soon) until it's a reasonable motion.

To put a verbal cue on it, do as South Paw said. :)

Members online

No members online now.