Moral dilemma: Bordatella vaccine

JacksonsMom

Honestly, I consider it one of the "safer" vaccines, imo, and I give it to let Bailey go to daycare. She's a healthy animal, I'm far less concerned about the intranasal bordetella vaccine than I am about a lepto vaccine.

So, if it were me, I'd give it so I could take my dogs swimming.
Jackson had a BAD terrible reaction to lepto as a 12 week old pup. I seriously thought I was losing him. That's what made me research more into vaccines, etc.

Acckkkk, I just can't decide. And I only have about an hour until vet appointment. lol.

I'm just not sure swimming is worth it -- it's really expensive at that place so really was only going to probably be able to take him a total of 3 times anyway, so it's like ... I'm just not sure if the 30 minutes of swimming is worth a vaccine that I really could care less about. And literally, nothing else he does requires it ... I think I'm leaning towards just canceling his swimming appt. and not doing it.

Especially after reading this: http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/bordatella-vaccination-dogs/

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Lepto is the most common to have a reaction too IIRC. We don't give it to the shelties as a rule but I know a lot of people with different breeds that have also had problems with it. The funny thing is that I have NEVER given it to my dogs and we don't give it, period, but I know people with other breeds who instead load their dogs up with steroids and antihistamines just so they can give it and try to manage the reaction they know is coming. WHY?? WHY??

Honestly I wouldn't give it unless you knew you would be going there regularly enough to make it worth it. Just a few times over the winter wouldn't be worth it to me. If I were planning to go every other weekend for a while, yes, but not just a couple times.

I don't give it regularly to my dogs, but I also wouldn't have a problem with giving it one time, one year if it was required for something I really wanted to do.

ETA: But I wouldn't say I have a strong ethical stance against the vaccine, I just don't think it's necessary for my dogs' risks so I don't give it. So it wouldn't really be a moral/ethical decision for me, just a risk/benefit decision.

JacksonsMom

We skipped it, LOL ...

Thanks for all the opinions guys. :)

All else checked out very well at the vet! He's healthy as can be. :)

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
I don't give it regularly to my dogs, but I also wouldn't have a problem with giving it one time, one year if it was required for something I really wanted to do.

ETA: But I wouldn't say I have a strong ethical stance against the vaccine, I just don't think it's necessary for my dogs' risks so I don't give it. So it wouldn't really be a moral/ethical decision for me, just a risk/benefit decision.
This. I am not "against vaccination" at all. If the vax is to protect against something that could actually kill my dog (like parvo for example) and is proven to protect.. I am 100% for it.

For me, my whole beef with bordatella is that 1. Kennel cough doesn't kill or even really cause healthy dogs to get THAT SICK and 2. MOST dogs that have this shot get kennel cough regardless. So for me, it's not worth the money spent to get it at all.
BUT if my dog needed it to do something I really wanted to do, doggy day care, some training classes etc.. he/she would probably get it. The side-effects are minimal so even if I don't believe that it's protecting against much, the gain from all the fun stuff makes it worth it.

BlackPuppy

Owned by Belgians
Somebody said to me once, "This is the computer age. It's easy enough to produce and print off your own vaccination report."

JacksonsMom

Somebody said to me once, "This is the computer age. It's easy enough to produce and print off your own vaccination report."
I actually thought about it, not gonna lie ... lol. I mean, it's just bordatella, but I don't think my conscious would let me. And I've already called the place and told them the date (I thought maybe they'd excuse it, since it's only like a week 'overdue' but they wouldn't). So ah well.

BostonBanker

I'm with Fran. I do really minimal vaccinations, and titer before I give anything past puppy shots (other than rabies), but if I really wanted to do something and it required bordatella - I'd do it. I think it is a pretty useless vaccine, but I also wouldn't expect either of my healthy adult dogs to have an issue receiving it.

elegy

overdogged
I don't know, I don't consider Bordatella a particularly "risky" vaccine for a healthy dog, just kind of a dumb one. So how strongly to do you feel about the vaccine, and how strongly do you feel about swimming? It's up to you.
That's pretty much where I fall. I don't give it because I don't feel my dogs need it, but they had to all get it in order to board last spring, so they did. If Steve had to get a bordetella vaccine in order to swim? He'd get the bordetella vaccine.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Has anyone else seen a reaction like Victor has? He acts like he has a migraine, like it hurts to even shift his head. It lasts for a couple days.

crazedACD

Has anyone else seen a reaction like Victor has? He acts like he has a migraine, like it hurts to even shift his head. It lasts for a couple days.
Yes, not unheard of. I've also seen some notations of nasal tumors in vaccinated dogs, though that may not be a causation. There's a lot of interesting theories about vaccines and although I'm not an extreme conspiracy theorist, I can't ignore some of it. I very minimally vaccinate my dogs. It's been at least four years since I've given the parvo/distemper though I've been considering doing it lately. All my dogs have had a series of puppy vax though and maybe two boosters.

It's important to remember too, that even though the vaccine might be kind of dumb, kennel cough isn't always something to take lightly. I've certainly heard of dogs dying from it, though they usually have a compromised immune system (old, stressed dogs).

I had three dogs get KC indirectly and they were fine. Then years later just healthy Soldier got it...and his rapidly got pretty bad. He was just laying there wheezing, couldn't eat, was miserable. Had to take him into the vet for fluids and antibiotics. So yeah, it can get kind of serious depending on the strain I think.

crazedACD

Oh! And the three dogs that got it, were the only dogs we had at the time, and all three were vaccinated. None of them had been anywhere near other dogs, but I worked at a kennel that had KC going through it at the time. I was able to pass the virus from my clothes/shoes onto my vaccinated dogs. Yeah, the vaccine works SO well..sigh.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
That's pretty much where I fall. I don't give it because I don't feel my dogs need it, but they had to all get it in order to board last spring, so they did. If Steve had to get a bordetella vaccine in order to swim? He'd get the bordetella vaccine.
This pretty much sums up my feelings on it too.

All of mine had to have it to come to work with me, but after I did it once I never did it again, and they didn't care. None of mine ever got sick with it in the two years I worked there either, even though they only had it once.

Enzo got it a week or so after she got the vaccine at the first daycare I worked at though. :p I was slightly worried she'd get it again the second time she got it, but she was fine that time, even though it was several years later.

Coming from a family of vets, I personally wouldn't do it. The vaccine only "protects" against a few strains of Bordetella while there are a whole lot more out there, this summer we saw a pretty nasty strain pop up in our clinics. But it's your dog, you are the one that will make that decision.

Members online

No members online now.