Bath Problems

I've had my dog for 5 years and he's of course been taking baths, but he hates them! He's a toy poodle and a grumpy little man. I pick him up and carry him to the tub and he starts to bark and growl. Then I put him in and start to wash him and he shows me all of his teeth and tries to nip. I yell at him and he stops. Then if I go to pick up the shampoo he jumps out and runs, I retreat him and put him back in the tub and wash him. then whn I'm towel drying him he likes it but catches an attitude. So when I yell at him and stop drying him he stop barking/growling and insists with head gestures to keep on so I continue, but he still continues to get agitated.

Does anyone know how to help my stubborn dog?
BTW I have to take him a bath today.

Brattina88

Okay, it sounds like we have a lot of retraining to do with your dog.
Since you said you have to give him a bath today I'll see what I can say to help, but I can tell you that it is not going to be an easy or a quick thing to fix. It seems he has learned to absolutely hate baths. Can you bath him in a different location than you usually do? He needs to relearn all about baths, but if he is used to bad experiences in the tub he will do the usual behaviors as soon as you carry him toward it. I suggest having Everything you need for a bath, brushes, shampoo, towels ect ready by the sink/tub whatever before you grab him. Since he jumps out I'd suggest having a bath collar (I have a chain collar that I put on my Shih Tzu so the color doesn't get wet and stain her fur and I can move it to wash all of her neck) to keep a hold of him. Putting shampoo and water in a spray bottle before hand works really well when you are lathering him up.
Make absolutely sure the water is not too hot or too cold. There is no way his behavior can improve if he is feeling discomfort.
Ignore the barks and the growls (unless of course you are going to get bit-), yelling at him might be escalating his 'grouchiness'. Try a quick "Shh," or a quiet "eh-eh!" Distract him with peanut butter -- if you spread a line of peanut butter across the side of the tub he may pay more attention to that as apposed to the horrible bath :p
His threats are working if you stop washing, drying him ect. Reward with treats and praise when he is quiet and non-threatening, even if you think he is still giving you an evil eye.

How is is health, mainly his skin? Is his fur brushed out, ie. no knots, before you bathe him?

Members online