How do the show dogs do it?

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
How do the show dogs get such shiny coats? Is it a special supplement, good diet, or conditioner?

I take good care of Zeus and he has a nice healthy coat, but it certainly doesn't gleam like that. Although, granted, I think he looks gorgeous in my siggy. :D How do you get those results?

hiya
we show cocker spaniels and golden rets the cockers have got a lovely shine on there coat they are brushed everyday but i also think it helps if you feed them on a type of food.also we use finishing sprays to get a shine

showpug

Well, that just depends on the breed you are talking about. It could be oil, hair dye, finishing spray or a curling or flat iron that gave the coat that look LOL!! I sware by diet to give my dogs what they need for the ring. I feed Innova Evo and vitamin C. They are bathed every two weeks and that usually does the trick. Before a show I will usually clip, bathe, force dry and finish with a little liquid silk etc. I would say that most of all it's diet...

I supplement my dog's diet every day with salmon oil and she gleams. When we used to show our Welsh pony we would spray him with Gliss and he dazzled - so cute!

Lexus

I don't have a show dog per say! But my girls coat is naturally glossy! It wasn't always that way though, for most of her life, she had dry flaky skin and shed quite a bit, till I switched diets, now I do totally raw with her, and WOW!!! No flakes, and super shine! So I back that up- diet is the root of it all!

I used to help show setters, and they glowed. They got bathed at least once a week, fed special diets and vitamin supplements, groomed within an inch of their lives, exercised till they were in top condition and lived outside in the fresh air. The conditioners and sprays that went on the night before were just the final touch. Those dogs were in good shape, and they looked fantastic.

Though I realize this kind of detracts from the 'good living' explanation, I have to add that one major topic of conversation with show people was always what vitamin/additive/shampoo/conditioner/spray they were experimenting with this week to add that extra shine.

Members online

No members online now.