Clannish dogs

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I swear paps are one of the most breedist breeds, lol.

We went to the dog park again and it was my two and two IGs in the small dog park. The IGs tried and tried to play with the paps but the girls wanted nothing to do with them. AT ALL. They behaved they just completely ignored them. Zero interest whatsoever. The other day the small dog side had a yorkie, my 2 paps, 4 chis and a bc and the girls had a blast playing with them.

Paps seem to like other paps (they get REALLY excited about paps), poms, and chis the most. Both Mia and Summer do really nicely with border collies and I'm not sure why, maybe it's because we know so many? Mia gets excited when she sees a JRT but then she usually is overwhelmed by them. Beau loves JRTs, they're his favorites after paps of course.

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
I've been told that border collies can be breedist, but Finn just loves any dog that will run as fast as him, regardless of breed. :p

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
I've heard chihuahuas are the worst when it comes to breedism. many don't like ANY dogs other than other chis.

stafinois

Professional Nerd
My Malinois, Harry, was raised by Pit Bulls. I had two adult male Pit Bulls when I got him at 7 weeks. Most of my friends were APBT & AmStaf people. I took him to weight pulls, and UKC dog shows where he hung out with the APBTs.

The first time I tried to show him he was about 7 months old. He took one look at the other Malinois and he hated them. He didn't want them ANYWHERE near him. If one came to close, he would snarl. I was SO embarrassed. After we got dumped, I took him over to the AmStaf ring to check out what was going on. Harry immediately settled down, and plopped himself down on the ground with some of my friends' dogs. Then he looked up at me like, "Why did you take me over there with those ugly pointy nosed things?"

Remember that Disney movie The Ugly Dachshund? Harry is The Ugly Pit Bull.

Doberluv

I've heard that too, about Chi's. Mine must be the exception. They are so use to having lived with my Lab and my Doberman, now Tokie...the mix. I don't think they much care what breed a dog is. They are not prejudice. They take each individual as he comes. In fact, they're not that enthralled with other dogs at all. They'll tolerate them and Jose` will join in and play sometimes, but they're sort of mainly interested in the household dogs. Probably, a lot of little breeds are like that. They're suspicious sometimes. After all, they have their safety to keep in mind and an image to maintain. But you can tell from my avatar that my little Chi was partial to much bigger, handsome, black dudes. LOL. Such a free spirit...

My Dobe was very selective and quite ornery and reactive toward a lot of dogs. But Golden Retrievers, he definitely couldn't stand. They were the worst in his book. LOL. I have no idea why. He never had any encounter with one, good or bad. But if he saw one while on a leash walk, he got especially riled up.

And then there's Toker. She thinks everyone is just stupendous and a potential party...doesn't matter what breed.

dogsarebetter

EVIL SHELTIES!!!!
Cesar M. says that at his rehabilitation center that the rotties hang with rotties, the pits hand with pits, the gsd hang with other gsd, so fourth and so on.

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
chis if raised with other breeds are fine WITH other breeds BUT if given the option of having a chihuahua as a companion, and having another breed as a companion, Most chis will choose other chis.
chihuahuas tend to much prefer the company of other chihuahuas and are a breed that do incredibly well as a same breed "pack"
they can however be quite ornery with other breeds if not socilized with them when young.

cresties seem to be clannish too, but not to the extreem as the wowies...
they definatly prefer the company of their own breed, followed by breeds of similar size, but cresties can also be REALY random. Jasper will try to play with anything that will let him...but ruby, other than the wowies, ruby will only choose to play with small fluffy primarily white dogs, infact when i worked at the day care she loved the 2 maltese and the 2 red and white cavaliers, she would play with bichons, white poodles (wouldnt go neer the black poodle though) as a breed though they do prefer other cresties...i think its a cult thing though lol.

charlie the cocker, and every cocker weve had dont seem to be "clannish", he seems to interact better with dogs smaller than himself, but beyond that he has equal ickynedd no matter the breed (he can be good buddies with 1 beagle and hate every other beagle in the world lol)

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
cresties seem to be clannish too, but not to the extreem as the wowies...
they definatly prefer the company of their own breed, followed by breeds of similar size, but cresties can also be REALY random. Jasper will try to play with anything that will let him...but ruby, other than the wowies, ruby will only choose to play with small fluffy primarily white dogs, infact when i worked at the day care she loved the 2 maltese and the 2 red and white cavaliers, she would play with bichons, white poodles (wouldnt go neer the black poodle though) as a breed though they do prefer other cresties...i think its a cult thing though lol.
Lol that's exactly how the paps are. First they like dogs to be other papillons then if not it seems they like a similar size and shape (chis, poms, etc). Then there are random likes... Summer loves German Shepherds and border collies. Mia also really likes border collies and yorkies. Beau loves every dog he's ever met, lol, but he really loves playing with JRT.

What is really weird to me is that regardless of the fact that 4 of my paps used to live with shelties, none other than Beau like shelties. Summer takes extreme offense to shelties. It took her forever to accept that Nik and Trey weren't big hairy monsters, lol.

Lizmo

Water Junkie
Blaze always seems to enjoy being around other Border Collies compared to other breeds - he wouldn't even look at my friend's female Lab. LOL

Lolas Dad

The rare times a Chin is at the dog park Lola wants nothing to do with them. She is more into Yorkie's, Westie's, Pomeranian's and any small puppy no matter what the breed. I keep telling her to say hi to her cousin the rare times there is a chin there but she will not play with them. Maybe she thinks she is to good for them :rofl1:

PlottMom

The Littlest Hound
My younger Plott will only hang out with hounds, and even then she's pretty snippy about them "stepping out of line", but I've seen her get downright nasty towards dogs with pointy ears. GSDs, huskies, heelers - it's like she doesn't recognize them as dogs. My basset was raised with beagles, and while I try to get her to hang out with all the bassets at the dog park, she (all 35lbs of her) turns up her nose at the land-whales and takes off with the tiny dogs :)

Members online

No members online now.