New Rescuer... What should I know?

NobleRuby

Hi to all!
I am currently considering adopting a 2 year old Basset Hound from the animal shelter. I do have young children but I really dont think aggresion will be an issue, not only is the breed calm but hes been an absolute baby every time we visit him! I am trying hard to do my "homework" on rescue dogs but when I look it up I just keep finding dogs available for adoption rather than actual articles on preparing for a rescue dog. Im sure there are plenty of rescuers here, so any tips on getting an abandoned dog? We know that he was adopted from a pet store but the microchip information was never updated so they cant find the old owner. Hes been on the streets for awhile (several months probably) because he is severly underweight and has some minor bumps, as well as fur discoloration from the ground. Thats about the extent of my knowledge. Are there any "trials" I should give him before bringing him home? (Like checking to see if he gets along with other cats, and so on) What will he need once hes here? Just how stubborn are basset hounds? Any advice would be really appreciated!!

Members online

No members online now.