Reserve Dogs

Zhucca

Lab Love
I just got transferred to a Native Reserve restoration job. They got hit really badly with the floods and we're re-doing their basements. So far, I like this job. There is dogs EVERYWHERE you guys! Some of them are healthy, some aren't. Me and my co worker are kind of a meals on wheels deal and we both hand out breakfast and supper throughout the day as we travel through houses. Most people aren't allowed back in their homes yet, leaving their dogs alone. And there's a lot of stragglers that don't really belong to any particular house. I'm seriously going to end up with one without a home one of these days, I can't handle some of their cuteness.

These are all cell phone pics so sorry for the quality in some.
Here's a pup, who was named the company dog (but got adopted to one of the guys)

I'm pretty sure this dude was her daddy.

I kind of look like a bag of dirt, but this is my favourite so far. His name is Bronson. He follows me around from house to house. (but duh, I have food!) He actually was caught in his previous owners house and floated down the river *in* the house, only to come back 2 months later.

eating some breakfast

cute little girl.

<3 I seriously love this dog.

Then at the end of the day, trying to leave:

That's it, thanks for looking.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Awww, they're cute! I tend to love the "reservation dog" look. The generic labby/shepherd/chowy mix look.

We actually have a rescue here that is solely dedicated to taking dogs off a reservation here and spaying/neutering the ones that people want to keep there.

frostfell

Kung Pow Fish
i seem to recall some kind of study, or maybe it was just a theory, that when you close a genetic population of dogs, and remove selective breeding, that REGARDLESS of the breeds or traits that pool started with, what youll end up with is a generic yellow curly tailed prick eared double coated 40-50 lb dingo ish looking dog

Taqroy

There is no way I could have that job. I would bring home all the doggies. Bronson is super cute and that black and tan female - <3.

GoingNowhere

i seem to recall some kind of study, or maybe it was just a theory, that when you close a genetic population of dogs, and remove selective breeding, that REGARDLESS of the breeds or traits that pool started with, what youll end up with is a generic yellow curly tailed prick eared double coated 40-50 lb dingo ish looking dog
My guess would be that this would happen if the population to start with was varied enough and not entirely homozygous (or else you'd get no changes). For example, I can't imagine that most purebred dog breeds, if "closed off" as a genetic population (of only a single purebred breed) and allowed to mate freely, would end up looking like generic medium sized brown dogs with prick ears, especially if that breed consists of a whole lot of unique recessive traits - you'd need to have those dominant genes coding for the "generic phenotype" to start... or else you'd only ever be able to get the recessive genes.

Either way, beautiful dogs!

Does the group that does free altering ever go there? Our SPCA has been trying to get them to come up the reserves up here for a very long time, I need to check to see if they ever got them!

Zhucca

Lab Love
Awww, they're cute! I tend to love the "reservation dog" look. The generic labby/shepherd/chowy mix look.

We actually have a rescue here that is solely dedicated to taking dogs off a reservation here and spaying/neutering the ones that people want to keep there.

Yeah, that pretty much summarizes the look of 80% of the dogs here. Generic shepherd lab types. Pretty dang cute though, the lot of them. There's a rescue here that does take reserve dogs too (actually two I think) but I'm not sure if they do the spay/neuter program. Thanks guys!

Wow!! Awesome to see their pics here, but poor fellas at the same time. Keep the pics coming!
Sucks for them in winter, mostly! We had our first snow fall the other night and had a -15 day and I was thinking about them.

You should totally steal Bronson. Just sayin'.
I just might. He doesn't really have any owners, just this one household who feeds them (they own the border collie x with blue eyes) He's a really nice dog and I'm really considering asking them if I can take him. Not sure Duke would love it, though.

There is no way I could have that job. I would bring home all the doggies. Bronson is super cute and that black and tan female - <3.
It's tough! I just want to take. all. the. dogs. The B&T pup is a real sweetheart, pretty sure she'll have a home in no time. Which is good, she has a hernia. I'm not sure if she belongs to anyone though.

My guess would be that this would happen if the population to start with was varied enough and not entirely homozygous (or else you'd get no changes). For example, I can't imagine that most purebred dog breeds, if "closed off" as a genetic population (of only a single purebred breed) and allowed to mate freely, would end up looking like generic medium sized brown dogs with prick ears, especially if that breed consists of a whole lot of unique recessive traits - you'd need to have those dominant genes coding for the "generic phenotype" to start... or else you'd only ever be able to get the recessive genes.

Either way, beautiful dogs!
This makes sense. While most of them have the same type there are still quite a few purebreds running around. German Shepherds, Labs, Hounds, 1 catahoula, and a good number of border collies.

Does the group that does free altering ever go there? Our SPCA has been trying to get them to come up the reserves up here for a very long time, I need to check to see if they ever got them!
I'm not sure! I don't think so at least. Most of the dogs are intact, but I'm not sure if they've been here or not.

Kim says she is pretty sure he is her daddy, too.

Wow, that is a definite likeness. Kim has a bit of a slimmer structure, but I've seen a female dog running around that looks even similar. I haven't been able to get close to her yet, she's a bit sketch. But her similarity is uncanny.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
Wow, that is a definite likeness. Kim has a bit of a slimmer structure, but I've seen a female dog running around that looks even similar. I haven't been able to get close to her yet, she's a bit sketch. But her similarity is uncanny.
She's the feminine version ;)

Members online

No members online now.