How to Not Kill a Puppy While Resting Him

BostonBanker

Gusto's on rest again.... Ideas?

Why oh why do these things always happen when it is spectacular weather and trial season and trail riding season and you have a million things you want to do?

Gusto is lame again, and I want to whine like a little kid. It's the same bicep; obviously it didn't get rested enough the first time. It was hard for the vet to get much info at all, because it's such an intermittent thing, she could never see him off. Once in a while I'd watch him jump off a chair or something and think I still saw something, but I wrote it off as paranoia. But Wednesday evening, when I went to take the dogs out in the meadow with me while hacking Tristan, he was very clearly lame. We turned right around and went home, and called the vet in the morning.

I actually taped the lameness on my phone this time when I saw it, so the vet didn't think I was insane. We also got one or two off steps out of him moving him around outside during his appointment. He's back on partial rest (Unlimited leash walking on good footing, take him swimming, even a little running on good footing is not a huge issue) but no hiking, no agility, no trail rides. I should be grateful it isn't full crate rest, but mostly I want to just throw a fit.

He's going in for laser weekly, and we have a bunch of exercises to work on at home in between. Four to six weeks. This is Vermont, that's half our good weather. :mad:

We've got our exercises from the vet, and I'm going to see just how far we can take It's Your Choice while we are resting. Most of our regular training stuff (agility, Recallers, Crate Games) is out, because of all the sudden movements and turns and running and such. I'm trying to the think of other things we can be working on in the meantime that will make me grateful when he's ready to go back to work. He does have a lot of distraction issues, especially with sniffing. Any other ideas of stuff to do for the next month or two?

Last edited:

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Well, Fred is getting fat. If that gives you any clue as to how we cope lol!!

We have become immune to the whining for the most part. And we bribe with food. A lot. And we just do a lot of ignoring... It gets easier, he settles more quickly. We try and have him in the room as us, and evenings he's allowed out as long as he settles.

But its not easy.... Especially when you own a dog that doesnt walk ANYWHERE. He gallops, skids, slides, pounces and lunges. Even on the lead! So....

Good luck with that!

We are on week two post Patellar Luxation surgery.

I feel both of your pain. Well, we are not quiiiite to week two yet. We go in tomorrow to remove the one stitch that Dr Zen felt he should leave in and have my vet check everything out. Yup, Zen removed all of his stitches but one while wearing a cone and being crate rested except leash walks.

He's also a huge weenie, so while I feel he should be limping a lot less already he still has a pretty decent limp. Grrrr.

BostonBanker

I wish there was a lay-up/rehab service for dogs. I think Gusto is worse for me than he'd be for other people, because he just expects that life is going to go along as usual. I took him for his vet-approved swimming yesterday (and we are about to head out again), but the 15 minute walk through the woods to the water was miserable, since he has to be on-leash. And it broke my heart to put him in his crate when I took Tristan out hacking in the afternoon. Going hacking with his horse is his favorite thing ever.

Six weeks. Well, 5 weeks 6 days now. We can do it. I ordered his Back on Track sheet last night. The two trials he was entered in will give me 50% refunds (and one of them offered to take the rest of the money and stick Meg in a few more classes).

We will survive, and hopefully this will just be the end of it.

The Back on Track coats... worth the money?

I'm thinking now that Zen has had major surgery and we are still hopefully going to continue with all activities (agility, running, swimming, etc) that maybe I should look into one. What is the science behind them? Do you know anyone who uses one for a dog with a past injury and has had success?

$70-$100 is a ton of money to spend on a coat for a dog who is hot all the time. Poor Zen, I had to buy a cool bed for his crate because he refuses to lay on any bedding that makes him warmer. No matter how much you put in there he squishes it to the front and lays on the plastic.

I set up and ex-pen and let Zen play with the bob-a-lot for dinner last week. Gave him a little bit of fun and excitement while keeping him contained and not jumping/twisting/spinning.

BostonBanker

I know several people who have used them with dog that had old injuries and swear they help; generally they let the dogs sleep in them, plus keep the coats on before/after agility. I have the mesh horse sheet for Tristan (although I couldn't ever use it on him much because it rubbed him), and they really are pretty light. I don't have dogs who have issues staying cool in general though, so I'm not sure how much it would bother a dog that tends to get hot.

I've had bad luck with the horse stuff, not because of the products but because Tristan is odd. I have quite a few friends who use them for their horses and swear by them. The very good massage/body work guy I know was skeptical at first apparently, but finally tried some of the stuff on himself and now recommends the products. I also have a friend with fairly bad arthritis who has had good luck using the gloves.

Their website explains how the products are supposed to work:
http://www.backontrackproducts.com/How-It-Works-13.html

I figure it is worth a shot; my birthday is soon, so I pretty much just asked my parents if I could order the blanket on their card and have that be my present. Happy birthday, Gusto!

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Well we are on week 3 post op, and we were resting for...... 2 or 3 weeks prior to that. So 5 or 6 weeks in, at least.

We have another 3 weeks to go. And that's only till our check up lol. Could have up to another 6 weeks after that (6 to 12 weeks rest).

It's very annoying, but you get used to it. I can not WAIT until he can let rip and run! But I really don't want him to do any permanent damage..... So we wait.

He and we haven't been perfect. He ran down the stairs once (we have a baby gate, and bathed bodhi upstairs, Bodhi ran down and opened the gate (its home made, no lock) and he ran up... We panicked so he turned and ran right down again!). He's jumped off the sofa about twice, he's pounced around the room a few times.

But seriously, trying to keep a 9 month old gsp still is hard, and I think we deserve a medal!!!!

We can walk him 3x per day now for 10 mins, but only take him once, as he moves enough when he's out his crate I feel. I take him out more for the stimulation.

I don't know about fancy coats and what not.... Think good old fashioned rest is the best bet. We also use anti inflammatories, and have been advised to do so for at least a month.

We think.... Think... He's stopped limping. But it's so hard to tell!!

I stopped with pain medicine ASAP. My reason being I think he needs to feel a little pain to encourage him to be a little more still.

I've been leash walking once a day for 10 minutes and doing some passive ROM with the joint. There is no visible swelling, and after the first week I had cut down Zen's pain medicine to twice a day and just slowly weaned him off judging by how he was acting.

We still have 8-12 weeks of rest, leash walking, and slowly building back up his activity.

This isn't who did his surgery, but this is the rehab program I'm following.
Luxating Patella Rehab

Oh, and yes. I know what you mean by accidents.

Zen tried to back down our 3 steps from the door to the grass and fell off. He also slipped on our linoleum entry way while leashed.

Our dogs aren't allowed on the furniture, so luckily in the 2-3 times I've let him chew a bone while I sit on the computer he's been pretty good.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
They're naughty. I wouldn't want him if he wasn't naughty though :D he was only on pain killer for 5 days, it zoned him out which was really good at keeping him still!! I wish we could drug him up sometimes lol. Would make life easier!

BostonBanker

Nose work actually might be ideal, as far as the sort of activity he's allowed to do. But - and I say this with love - I think Gusto qualifies as disabled as far as smelling ability goes. He is *terrible*. I think that might be why he's so heavily distracted by smells at agility and hiking; he can't find the smell for the longest time. If I drop a treat on the ground, it can be two inches from him, and it takes him forever to find it.

Luckily the weather is holding up for us; upper 70s and sunny. Having to walk him on-leash through the woods to get to the swimming area is a pain, but he's been really good about just going back and forth fetching sticks, and not bolting out of the water to go galloping about. Hopefully the swimming will keep him a bit calmer! I give serious credit to those of you who are doing this with dogs that need full crate rest.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Another 6 weeks lead walking :D

Do I win a prize???

Although we have been given the ok to start hydrotherapy!

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
We are also up to 20 mins. Huzzah.

We can increase by 5 mins per week too, so it's not all bad... And they've ok'd us to go back to training as its all lead work, and as long as its very low impact. Double huzzah! And they've also ok'd showing, again as long as we don't over do it. But trotting round a ring is ok.

He's still sore in his right shoulder (when manipulated), and has some muscle atrophy so is obviously still not fully weight bearing (you can't see this, they felt it).

But they said it will continue to improve, and we need to bring his strength up...

No need for a follow up appointment, just phone them in 6 weeks. Continue with meds.

Fingers tightly crossed........ I am waiting for them to say, ok you can let him off the lead..!!

And waiting for him to instantly injure himself in his excitement throwing himself into something :)

And waiting for him to instantly injure himself in his excitement throwing himself into something :)
THIS! So much THIS!

I am so worried about the day we are given the thumbs up for off leash. He already tries sneaking in the giddy, silly, jump/bucking bronco impression right after we walk down the steps onto the grass. I have to be ready to tighten up on the leash so he doesn't have room to jump.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
THIS! So much THIS!

I am so worried about the day we are given the thumbs up for off leash. He already tries sneaking in the giddy, silly, jump/bucking bronco impression right after we walk down the steps onto the grass. I have to be ready to tighten up on the leash so he doesn't have room to jump.
Ha yeah. You should have seen Fred when he was stalking a blackbird and a rabbit ran past. He managed some self control for about 30 seconds bless. Then he was a tigger on a piece of string. We often compare it to walking a tigger :D

He's ok on his lead walks as long as I don't take Bodhi. He gets lost in smells and sights though, so we've been working on me standing still and not moving again till he remembers to give me eye contact. He seems to be figuring it out :D

I think he'll be full pelt when he is let off though... I just think he's forgotten about running for now...

BostonBanker

Gusto went back in for another laser appointment yesterday, and got a gold star. I haven't seen any lameness in the last week, and the vet could not longer feel any sensitivity. One more week of gradually increasing his leash exercise, and after his next laser appointment, if things look good, he can go back to a bit of agility, with a goal of having him able to run a few courses by mid-June. Still no off-leash, outdoors running, which is what I miss most. She worries that in his insanity, with the uneven footing, he will do more damage than any agility could do.

BostonBanker

Oh, and because it came up earlier - he LOVES his Back on Track coat. Obviously I have no idea if it is healing him or he's healing himself, but he practically begs to have it put on at night. This is a dog I have to wrangle to get into his winter coats for walks. I wanted to let him and Meg share it, so since he's sleeping in it, I went to put it on her after dinner one night. As soon as he saw me with it, he squeezed in between me and Meg and sat perfectly still, waiting for his coat.

Members online