Do Good Breeders Ship??

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Shipping alone doesn't make a breeder "good" or "bad"...it's who they're shipping to and why.

I was at a local BMD event over the weekend along with many BMD Breeders. I don't know how the discussion got started, but a heated debate regarding shipping puppies to their new owners arose. Somer breeders said they were happy to ship their pups to their new homes, but most declared that it was the sign of a "shady breeder," and not acceptable. Most stated that a "Good Breeder" would demand a meeting with prospective owners at a minimum, preferably at the owners home - but they would NEVER ship. What is the concensus here?

I think generalizing a breeder based on the fact they will or won't ship is ridiculous. My opinion is that it has absolutely no bearing on how reputable or shady a breeder is. It's not even last on my list for checking out a breeder's ethics - it's an issue that didn't even make it on the list! lol

Shipping is one of those things that is a personal preference. I personally know breeders that are producing poor quality pups who refuse to ship, breeders that sell absolutely top notch pets/breeding stock who ship on a regular basis. I don't ship pet puppies, but that's because it's a terrible hassle for me to transport a litter of pups to the airport. My buyers are screened through an application and subsequent phone interview before they ever step foot in my home. And yes, I do prefer pet people to pick up pups, watch them interact with pups, and yes, I have on a rare occasion returned deposits after an initial visit. That being said, I will ship my best pups to other breeders. Consider that it's difficult to find new bloodlines within an enclosed area of the country, so a serious breeder would need, at some point, to have a pup shipped to bring in new lines or just have the opportunity to breed dogs they never could have acquired locally.

My own breeding program would be non existant were other reputable breeders not willing to ship pups. I do not have one dog that I acquired from a local breeder, simply because I started out looking for a very specific type of hare hunting hound that I could not find in my area. Being in NYC, some of the closest NY state breeders were 6+hrs away :eek: Plus, I was looking for something dual purpose ... back then I could count how many dual purpose breeders were in the entire country on one hand and still have fingers left over.

I would think that shipping would be a necessity with a rarer breed, say a Schipperke or Foxhound. Anyway, I've been grilled by the breeders who shipped out to me, including the field people, and wouldn't have it any other way. It's that screening and openness about health issues, faults, etc. that make a breeder worthwhile or not. And it's very possible to get to know someone pretty well with applications/interview process by knowing the right questions to ask. My 2 cents ...

I've been considering having a puppy shipped to me when I am ready to bring her home. I have already talked extensively with the breeder, who, in return is very interested in the environment I am bringing the puppy into. We talk every so often. It makes it easier that we both have BlackBerries so we can do the whole BB messaging thing. I'm not going to be bringing home a puppy until the end of the year, but already we have established a friendship. She answers my questions and asks some of her own and can provide references (even some people that live around my area).
When you're looking for the perfect puppy of a breed that's not common in your area, sometimes you have to research other means of purchasing.
Also, I would imagine that it would give the breeder a better chance at finding a suitable owner, rather than having to pick from those who live nearby.
The breeder I know offers airline transport (direct flight and only if weather is suitable) or a ground transport that has proven themselves many times.

Members online

No members online now.