Parvo Risk?

I noticed on Rolyx's papers, that he had parvo while at the shelter. With that, I will be getting a new pup early next month. I went to the vet today to update Ro's shots, and went ahead and asked if I should be concerned. She said as long as the puppy has his first shot [which he will], it'll help protect him greatly but there are never guarantees. She said to try to keep them separate until the pup is older and has more vaccs, but this is impossible.

I plan to take the pup to a area in the yard where neither of my current dogs potty, but I still feel concerned about inside the house on that chance that some feces was tracked in on feet. Deep down, I think the chances are slim because Ro had and shed the virus while at the shelter, but I'm also reading conflicting things about the issue so I get confused.

Is there anything I can do to help reassure the risks are low? I do apologize if I sound stupid, but I have never had a dog that previously had parvo and I see so many scary stories how it takes pups down so fast...I'd just rather be safe than sorry.

SaraB

Cleaning the interior of your home with bleach will help! Bleach is the only thing that destroys the virus.

Aleron

The shedding period for Parvo is fairly short (generally 2 weeks I believe). So if he had and recovered from it prior to you bringing him home, chances are he was never shedding it while in your care.

Thank you for the quick replies, that does help put my mind at ease more than it was. I took Ro home a good 3-4 months after he had it according to the papers, so it should of been long shed. I will do the bleach wipe down of the inside of the house just to be on the safe side. I was even considering spraying the part of the yard I was taking him to, but maybe a bit overkill.

Thanks again, much appreciated.

Aleron

Thank you for the quick replies, that does help put my mind at ease more than it was. I took Ro home a good 3-4 months after he had it according to the papers, so it should of been long shed. I will do the bleach wipe down of the inside of the house just to be on the safe side. I was even considering spraying the part of the yard I was taking him to, but maybe a bit overkill.

Thanks again, much appreciated.
If it was 3+ months after he had it, you really don't have anything to worry about. He's not going to still be shedding the virus that long after. Really, it's more of a risk that you might accidentally track it into the house from where ever.

If it was 3+ months after he had it, you really don't have anything to worry about. He's not going to still be shedding the virus that long after. Really, it's more of a risk that you might accidentally track it into the house from where ever.
I do feel better about it not being so close to home, as in it was for sure shed elsewhere. I still plan to wipe down my floors just as a precaution [as you said, never know what's been tracked in from elsewhere], it's about that time for a good spring cleaning anyhow. :)

Members online

No members online now.