Question about feeding amounts

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
I was recently informed by a pet-drug company sales rep that if you weren't feeding within the recommended guidelines on the back of the bag of dog food (say, for a 50 pound dog 2-3 1/2 cups of food a day or what have you) that your dog wasn't getting the entire amount of nutrition it needed from the food it was consuming.

True, or false? I'm inclined to believe false, but wanted to get other opinions.

I ask, because Chloe only eats a cup of food a day and she is a 45 pound dog. That is what she is maintaining her weight at (she's actually still a bit too heavy for my liking), so that is what she gets. If I fed her the recommended 2 cups of food a day she'd be fat as a blimp. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't depriving her of nutrients because of that.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
False. They push more food than necessary because they want to sell more food. typically. It also varies a lot depending on activity level. a 50 pound coach potato is going to need a lot less than a 50 pound working dog.

Each kibble is pretty identical ingredient wise. So it's not like when a kid doesn't finish his plate/only eats his mashed potatoes and leaves his vegetables.. the kibbles are all the same, so regardless of how MUCH they eat, they are still getting all the nutrition from all the ingredients used to make each kibble. Their body might NEED MORE of it to work, but either way, it's all there.

If she is maintaining weight and doing well on 1 cup then 1 cup is what you should be feeding. All the nutrition is in there and her body is telling you she has enough food and calories to work just fine

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
False. They push more food than necessary because they want to sell more food. typically. It also varies a lot depending on activity level. a 50 pound coach potato is going to need a lot less than a 50 pound working dog.

Each kibble is pretty identical ingredient wise. So it's not like when a kid doesn't finish his plate/only eats his mashed potatoes and leaves his vegetables.. the kibbles are all the same, so regardless of how MUCH they eat, they are still getting all the nutrition from all the ingredients used to make each kibble. Their body might NEED MORE of it to work, but either way, it's all there.

If she is maintaining weight and doing well on 1 cup then 1 cup is what you should be feeding. All the nutrition is in there and her body is telling you she has enough food and calories to work just fine

That. And it's about the ratios of then nutrients, I would assume. As long as the dog is getting enough calories to maintain a healthy weight, and as long as the food is balanced, there's nothing to worry about.

Did you ask him if feeding a skinny dog more than recommended makes them overdoes on vitamins? LOL That was my first thought.

My poor dog must be nutritionally deprived then..lol We feed her twice a day, but she usually only eats once. I think he was full of it.

Am I supposed to just shove the food down my dogs throat?????? -_-

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
this... Until now. Elsie's supposed to get 2 cups/day.

She gets almost 5.
she's going to od and die!

ETA: Sidenote, I feed raw so no cup measurements, but for perspective, Mackenzy (37lbs) eats LESS than Keeva (22.5 lbs). :lol-sign: Macky gets 8 oz/day and Keeva gets 10-12 oz/day.

Last edited:

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
That's the first time I've ever heard that before. Wonder where that info came from? I mean, yeah, lots of dogs would get fat on the recommended amounts... so what are we supposed to do to keep them at a healthy weight if this were actually true? (which it's not).

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
That's the first time I've ever heard that before. Wonder where that info came from? I mean, yeah, lots of dogs would get fat on the recommended amounts... so what are we supposed to do to keep them at a healthy weight if this were actually true? (which it's not).
I honestly don't know where she got the information from. Which was why I was pretty sure she was not correct in any way, shape, or form. But, I've heard people say you can't mix different brands of foods due to the fact the dog won't be getting the proper nutrition, so I thought, well, better be safe than sorry.

Good point about feeding a skinny dog more. But, excess vitamins are just excreted from the body. I don't think you can really OD on them. ;)

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
I honestly don't know where she got the information from. Which was why I was pretty sure she was not correct in any way, shape, or form. But, I've heard people say you can't mix different brands of foods due to the fact the dog won't be getting the proper nutrition, so I thought, well, better be safe than sorry.

Good point about feeding a skinny dog more. But, excess vitamins are just excreted from the body. I don't think you can really OD on them. ;)
Well, no, my understanding is that that depends on if the vitamins are water soluble or not. Those that are not water soluble can build up in the body, though I believe most are.

(Hence the catterwalling about raw fed dogs dying of Vitamin A toxicity from eating raw liver. Except that it takes a LOT of raw liver for a LONG time for them to die from it.)

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Oh geez, yeah right!
If I fed the recommended amount of food, Frodo would look like a hippo. He's gotten an a-ok from every vet he's ever seen (except for his temperament, of course, lol) and a couple months ago had a complete blood panel done and everything was where it should be.

Well, no, my understanding is that that depends on if the vitamins are water soluble or not. Those that are not water soluble can build up in the body, though I believe most are.

(Hence the catterwalling about raw fed dogs dying of Vitamin A toxicity from eating raw liver. Except that it takes a LOT of raw liver for a LONG time for them to die from it.)
We JUST talked about this a couple weeks ago in one of my Physiology classes! :D Vitamins A, D, E, K are fat-soluble (versus water soluble) so they can build up in the body versus being excreted through the urine. However, it takes A LOT to reach toxic levels, and Vitamin A and Vitamin D are the only ones that have proven to be dangerous in large amounts - no one can really say for certain what excess Vitamin E does and excess Vitamin K supposedly increases coagulation, but again, it's not definitive.

But yes, I think the guidelines on the bag are just that - guidelines. A super active, working 50lb dog is going to need more food than the elderly 50lb couch potato. Just go with whatever amount works well for your dog and keeps them at a good weight!

Members online

No members online now.