Horse hooves?

Paige

Let it be
My dogs go ape for them. I'm assuming they are fine to let them have but I'd like to be backed up on it.

BostonBanker

All of our barn dogs hang out underfoot (literally) when the farrier is working. Hasn't harmed any of them yet! I assume it must be the same as cow hooves, just fresher. I do keep them away when the one horse at our barn who is constantly getting hoof oil applied is being worked on. I doubt that stuff is good for a dog's tummy!

Mal would like you to know that if you think it's not healthy, you may mail them to him. He misses them since we lost Tazzie last fall and no longer have access to them. :p

I loved living on the farm years ago. The farrier would work on the horses right outside the dog fence and all the dogs would sit there and watch eagerly, waiting for the goodies to get tossed to them.

That was the one stranger no one minded.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
My dogs have always done well with hooves. I do get rid of the smallest piece just in case they swallow it.

Paige

Let it be
Good good because I brought home some massive hoof chunks off this guy who hadn't had his feet done in ages. They were pretty excited.

Miakoda

You know? The farrier is coming tomorrow to trim all the horses. I never thought of bringing home the leftovers!

sprintime

Horse hoofs are suposed to be an excellent source of bonemeal from what my farrier had mentioned. All my dogs ate them and wents nuts for them and none ever had any ill effects.

Members online

No members online now.