Snoopy is 4 years old

mebp1057

We brought Snoopy home on July 5th. He is 4 years old and his previous owner gave him up because although she had bought him for her 11 year old daughter, her now 15 year old, was not participating in his care. Sounds like she had a schedule down packed, but, nevertheless she gave him up.

She said he was housetrained, which was a major factor in us taking him, but now we see to the contrary.

Not having had a dog in such a long time, I don't know what to do about the major issue with Snoopy:
-he frequently pees on my leather recliner in the family room, (which is where is is for the most part now). And he will pee even after having been taken out within the last hour or two. The previous owner had him using the training pads. But he mostly pees on my chair, or something else or somewhere else in the room.

I don't want to put him in a crate, but I don't want to have him continue to pee on my furniture, etc., and I'd like to get him away from the training pads.

Help!!!:eek:

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
Is he neutered? You need to treat him like a puppy. If you can't watch him you need to confine him.. whether it be a small space or a crate.

If my dog was peeing on my furniture, I'd be taking action so it couldn't happen again. Tethering the dog to you so it can be corrected and taken out when it inappropriately potties is also a good method.

lizzybeth727

Just because a dog is potty trained in one house with one family does not mean he will be potty trained in every house with every family. No matter what the previous training was, you'll always have to retrain a new dog you bring into your household (and you'll probably have to retrain if you move to a different house). I agree with MP, start from the beginning, keeping him within sight at all times, and as long as you can prevent accidents in the house, and reward when he potties in the yard, you should see progress pretty quickly - they're usually quicker to potty train the second time.

Paige

Let it be
I have had to retrain potty manners in every house my dogs have lived in. The boys are more solidly house broke in our current home than in our last. They'd sneak off and go pee if not confined. Now I can leave them loose with no potty accidents and I am not near as crazy about taking them out for potty breaks now.

Treat him as you would a puppy. In my old house when the boys were being brats they had to be tethered to me or put away in their confined spaces if I wasn't going to watch them like hawks. If they are going to eliminate in the house they need less freedom.

Have you taken him to the vet? It may also be a physical issue.

Members online

No members online now.