I feel so... decisive. Finally!

JacksonsMom

I'm so excited to finally have a path as far as... my life goes. lol. Or school at least.

For what seems like SO LONG, I feel like I just dilly dallied around with school, no idea what I wanted to do. I knew I didn't want to be working daycare jobs and dog sitter jobs and restaurant jobs for the rest of my life, it's just not my thing. I kept thinking 'I am 23 years old now, this is ridiculous'. I just felt like I should be farther in my life than I am ya know? I am still living at home, which in itself isn't a huge deal as I do have my own space and am very thankful to have supportive parents. But just feeling very blah over no direction really.

Well I stopped harping on age, and said Eff it, most of my friends who did the typical 'right' thing and went right from HS to college and experienced all of that are now living back at home because they can't afford to be on their own or can't find the best job with a degree they picked when they were 18 and now regret. I am NOT too old to finish school and do something I want to do even if it takes me a while right?

Well I really really either want to get into the physical therapy assistant program or radiologic technologist program at my community college. Surgical technology is my 3rd option (technically 'easiest' program to get into). The first 2 are things that I really looked into back when I was 18/19 but thought 'I'm not smart enough' 'it's too much school' etc. I've got such a different attitude now. of course I regret putting this all off back then. I've been back in school all this semester and I am finishing pre-reqs -- I've already got most of my basics (both English classes, psychology, biology, etc) completed from the past. So this semester I'm in chemistry, algebra (not college level yet, ugh, suck at math) and medical terminology. I really like medical stuff, more than I even thought I would, to be honest, and this is something I can truly see myself doing and actually being successful at it.

So the thing that sucks is the program is two years full-time. Both programs. I'm still in pre-reqs so can't even apply to program yet, and will next semester as well, I still need to take anatomy & physiology 1 & 2, as well as college algebra. And a different psychology class for the physical therapy program. So of course then I start thinking omg I am going to be 26 by the time I finish all this. lol... but there's a certificate program for Sterile Processing Technician that takes 6 months to complete. I can do that while doing my classes next semester and be certified in that so at least can hopefully find a job with that for the next 2 years while I finish my degree. It gets me experience in a medical field as well maybe an 'in' with our local hospital, where I do already know a few people who work there.

Whew. So I've been through so many career options - cyber security (was NOT for me, I am a computer nerd, but sooo not into coding, and I've honestly figured out I hate being behind a desk all day, I need to be doing something to feel motivated about going to a job), teaching, business... in the end, medical field keeps calling me, and I've finally convinced myself I AM CAPABLE OF DOING THIS.

If you read all this, you deserve a cookie. I am kind of just rambling but this is the first time I truly feel good about something I am doing and I am really pumped about school for the first time ever and where my life hopefully is headed over the next few years. There's still a few things I need/want to improve within myself but this is a really good first step.

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
Such a great feeling, isn't it?!

Good for you for making the leap! I know from experience it is a big one. Don't regret those off years. Life experience will help you a ton in school and the profs really respect the older groups, I think.

2 years is nothing! It will fly by. :)

Ozfozz

Highbread Dingbat
It's great when you finally figure out what it is you wouldn't mind doing for a living :)
Best of luck with your classes!

k9krazee

That's great! Don't worry about the timeline -- it'll fly by! Even at 26, you'll be lightyears ahead of most 20yearolds!

I went to college right out of high school and my twin brother stayed home. Last year (at age 25) decided that he wanted to go to school --the same school I went to out of high school!---to be a pharmacist. My brother was a C student with little desire to do well, and now he's rocking out his second year studying pre-pharm with like, 6 years left to go!

There's no timeline on life. Enjoy every day of it and work towards your goals.

AND enjoy living home with parents! If you have a good thing going, why change it? I'm at least 20k still in debt because I rushed off to live on my own and am still struggling to get it under control 4 years out of school.

Don't regret putting it off, your attitude going in makes a huge difference. I'm glad you found a path, and glad you didn't rush into making a decision before now.

JacksonsMom

Such a great feeling, isn't it?!

Good for you for making the leap! I know from experience it is a big one. Don't regret those off years. Life experience will help you a ton in school and the profs really respect the older groups, I think.

2 years is nothing! It will fly by. :)
Thanks! I really hope it will fly by. :)

It's great when you finally figure out what it is you wouldn't mind doing for a living :)
Best of luck with your classes!
Thank you!!

JacksonsMom

That's great! Don't worry about the timeline -- it'll fly by! Even at 26, you'll be lightyears ahead of most 20yearolds!

I went to college right out of high school and my twin brother stayed home. Last year (at age 25) decided that he wanted to go to school --the same school I went to out of high school!---to be a pharmacist. My brother was a C student with little desire to do well, and now he's rocking out his second year studying pre-pharm with like, 6 years left to go!

There's no timeline on life. Enjoy every day of it and work towards your goals.

AND enjoy living home with parents! If you have a good thing going, why change it? I'm at least 20k still in debt because I rushed off to live on my own and am still struggling to get it under control 4 years out of school.
Wow! That's AWESOME, congrats to your bro.

Thanks so much for the encouraging words, too.

That's what I am hoping that I can at least save money and continue to live at home for a bit longer. I'll just tell myself that hopefully I'll be all set up for my 30's! lol. I know so many people that end up having to move back home at some point in their lives, often in their 30's, from mistakes in their 20's. So at least I got my indecisiveness out of the way before 25 :rofl1:

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
How very exciting :) I agree with the above, forget the timeline there is no timeline lol
Congrats on finding a path, it feels good to have a direction!

I'm going onto my first "big girl job" and it's still full of confusion lol

JacksonsMom

Are you able to go full time? Taking summer courses?
I'm hoping to take A&P II in the summer possibly. Because if I can do that, I should be set by fall to enter the program. I believe that'll be the last class I will need. Plan on taking college algebra, A&P I and developmental psych in the spring. Otherwise that's all I CAN do so far. Oh and then for the Certificate (Sterile Processing Tech) that begins in February, and takes 6 months, and it starts out being every Saturday from like 9-5. I think I'll end up doing the sterile processing tech externship on Friday's and Saturday's (you do them at our local hospital) and take my other courses Tuesdays & Thursdays at the college.

It's such an annoying process, like I had to be eligible for college level math before getting into A&P otherwise I would've already started this semester. I also took Biology 101 already but apparently I needed chemistry as well. So that is the stuff currently holding me back and what I am trying to get finished!

I'm crossing my fingers that by fall of 2015, I'll be a sterile processing tech! Many of those positions are at night so it will work out perfect with my school schedule. Because the radiology program, for example, is M-F during day. It starts off with a lighter load but by the end of it, it's practically a full time job in itself, and I believe physical therapy assisting is about the same type of schedule.

So I was really worried about how I was going to have a decent paying job during that time. But if all works out properly, I'll hopefully be getting experience in a hospital AND paid at the same time :p Supposedly, full-time sterile processing techs average $32,000 in Maryland. So if I was making that for the next two years while in school, I would be a happy camper.

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
I'm hoping to take A&P II in the summer possibly. Because if I can do that, I should be set by fall to enter the program. I believe that'll be the last class I will need. Plan on taking college algebra, A&P I and developmental psych in the spring. Otherwise that's all I CAN do so far. Oh and then for the Certificate (Sterile Processing Tech) that begins in February, and takes 6 months, and it starts out being every Saturday from like 9-5. I think I'll end up doing the sterile processing tech externship on Friday's and Saturday's (you do them at our local hospital) and take my other courses Tuesdays & Thursdays at the college.

It's such an annoying process, like I had to be eligible for college level math before getting into A&P otherwise I would've already started this semester. I also took Biology 101 already but apparently I needed chemistry as well. So that is the stuff currently holding me back and what I am trying to get finished!

I'm crossing my fingers that by fall of 2015, I'll be a sterile processing tech! Many of those positions are at night so it will work out perfect with my school schedule. Because the radiology program, for example, is M-F during day. It starts off with a lighter load but by the end of it, it's practically a full time job in itself, and I believe physical therapy assisting is about the same type of schedule.

So I was really worried about how I was going to have a decent paying job during that time. But if all works out properly, I'll hopefully be getting experience in a hospital AND paid at the same time :p Supposedly, full-time sterile processing techs average $32,000 in Maryland. So if I was making that for the next two years while in school, I would be a happy camper.
That is great! I should start up the semester threads again. :)

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
That's so awesome! :) Congrats!

It's really amazing when you find something you actually are willing to work at to be your career! ^_^ As far as age, like everyone else said don't even worry about it! I floated around a lot not knowing what I wanted to do and didn't start working on my 5 year degree until I was 22 yrs old. I'm now 26 and only a year away from graduating. Heck, my twin sister is planning on going back to school next semester at 26!

Good luck with your classes! :D

DJEtzel

Yay! That's so exciting!

I'm 22 and still not sure what I'll end up doing, but I'm happy doing what I'm doing now, at least... Who knows if dog stuff will stick or not.

Glad you got something figured out, and good luck!

Congratulations on making that decision and taking the leap to start the process!! I just thought I would jump in and say that surgical tech program is a blast (I went to Mt Hood Comm Coll in Oregon) and just graduated in June. It is an awesome career and I love it. I too was looking at PTA school but chose surgical tech because the inside of the body is so fascinating. I will say with our program there was no way we would be able to work full time during the second year with clinicals. I worked weekends and during breaks and full time during the first year.

If you have any questions about the job I would be happy to answer them :)

Again congratulations on taking the leap back into school! You won't regret it!

JacksonsMom

Congratulations on making that decision and taking the leap to start the process!! I just thought I would jump in and say that surgical tech program is a blast (I went to Mt Hood Comm Coll in Oregon) and just graduated in June. It is an awesome career and I love it. I too was looking at PTA school but chose surgical tech because the inside of the body is so fascinating. I will say with our program there was no way we would be able to work full time during the second year with clinicals. I worked weekends and during breaks and full time during the first year.

If you have any questions about the job I would be happy to answer them :)

Again congratulations on taking the leap back into school! You won't regret it!
Awesome!! That's really good to know. I joined a FB group for Surg Techs and every one for the most part seems to really enjoy what they do and very passionate. I find the human body fascinating as well and being in the OR is the main reason I'm so attracted to that career.

Yeah I figure even if I can't work full-time, at least I will be able to get *something*. And with sterile processing, at least I could also familiarize myself with all the instruments too in the process. :)

Do most surgical techs work three 12 hour shifts or something similar? That's actually appealing to me. I think it would be nice to do 3 long days and have rest of days off.

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
Congratulations! I'm happy for you! I still haven't figured out what I want to do, but I keep advancing in the job I'm already in, so for now, I'm happy where I am.

Michiyo-Fir

Two years will pass in no time at all!

I'm also 23, but I'm still stuck in that I don't really know what I want to do state... I've finished my Bachelor's in Art History and I'm currently doing my Master's in Art History (which is a really challenging program) but every other day I wonder if I'm making a terrible choice. At the end of my BA my choices were to get a full time job, or keep going with school, and I was going back and forth but received a good offer for school so I went with it. But even now, I wonder if I would've been better off not going this route. I'm not as enthusiastic about the material as my colleagues and don't really have a end-result goal in mind. Even after my MA, I might end up doing more school, like an MBA or something like that and they're all at least 2-3 years long.

Lol, sorry for the rant but basically I'm trying to say, I wish I were in your shoes!! If you know what to do, that's absolutely awesome! Even if you're still in the pre-req stage, if you can see the final goal and result in mind, it'll go super fast! As a person struggling with the same uncertainties, I'm super happy for you that you found what you want to do!

(Sorry idk how to quote from my phone)
Yes that's exactly what took me into the OR as well. And getting your sterile processing certificate will put you way ahead for the program you are absolutely correct. Plus you will be that much more competitive when job hunting because having those skills would be great as a surg tech employee as well.
As for shifts. Once I'm off orientation I will be working 11a-7:30p M-F. They do all kinds of shifts, 8, 10, 12hrs at varying times of the day. Tad hospital dependent really, some hospitals prefer more 8hr shift people or more 12hr shift people. If you work in Labor & Delivery it's almost guaranteed 12hr shifts (7-7:30). Then you have call shifts which vary by hospital but are usually 8 or 12hr shifts.
Hope that helps! :)

Members online