Agility training

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
What trial? Maybe I'll enter. Are you going to enter the fall DAL trial? You should and you can stay with me and we can go together. I was very lonely at my trial this weekend. I know people but I don't KNOW people... you know? lol
It's in Medicine Hat, so like a 6 hour drive for you lol.

I'm still deciding on the Oct DAL trial or the Dec one. Decisions Decisions... And it'll depend what my schedule for school is like as there's a few big events that i'll be cooking for. I'll be at one of them though!

krissy

It's in Medicine Hat, so like a 6 hour drive for you lol.

I'm still deciding on the Oct DAL trial or the Dec one. Decisions Decisions... And it'll depend what my schedule for school is like as there's a few big events that i'll be cooking for. I'll be at one of them though!
Cool. Well, let me know. :) I think it would be awesome. And we can video/photograph for each other too since we're in completely different classes. And you guys can stay with us, and we'll have a slumber party and stay up late and braid each other's hair, and have a pillow fight....

:lol-sign:

No, but seriously, would be fun times if you wanted to. :D

xpaeanx

Ware, a bit east of Springfield.
So you're an hour from me when I'm in CT (Julee is an hour in the other direction :( ).

I was kinda hoping I could get a few people together to rent ring time with or even possibly work out a time for semi-privates with a trainer every so often. I have scheduling problems with classes too.

xpaeanx

Of course I am. Kent is never convenient. I tried to text you back, but... service is lacking. GO KENT!

My answer was "hell yes ring rental", in short.
Kent really is out of the way of basically everything. HaHa!

Ok, so I will text you as soon as I find out my situation and if they have time avail we're on! :)

That being said... I'm still open to semi-privates with people. ;-) I'd like to get something fairly consistent going.

Kent really is out of the way of basically everything. HaHa!

Ok, so I will text you as soon as I find out my situation and if they have time avail we're on! :)

That being said... I'm still open to semi-privates with people. ;-) I'd like to get something fairly consistent going.
Can I just send Hudson with you....? lol

crazedACD

So you're an hour from me when I'm in CT (Julee is an hour in the other direction :( ).

I was kinda hoping I could get a few people together to rent ring time with or even possibly work out a time for semi-privates with a trainer every so often. I have scheduling problems with classes too.
Do you have a place in mind?

My obedience club is opening a place in my town (yay!) but no agility equipment. I emailed my original agility instructor and haven't gotten anything back yet. She lost her training barn but I thought she had another place lined up.

xpaeanx

Do you have a place in mind?

My obedience club is opening a place in my town (yay!) but no agility equipment. I emailed my original agility instructor and haven't gotten anything back yet. She lost her training barn but I thought she had another place lined up.
Julee & I have been renting at Goshen when we can & I'm trying a place in Manchester soon but I don't have a place that would be near-ish to you in mind......of course I also haven't looked in that direction. I can start looking to see what's around and I am also totally open to suggestions if you have a lead or your instructor gets back to you. What is your max travel time? And also days/times? I can be avail Thurs-Sunday but not weekly.

L&C: you should join in with Hudson. :) It would be fun, and you want to do more stuff with him right?

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
We had a great class tonight. Our first run was a bit slow but the rest was superb. Minus weaves. Urghhh

So here's what's happening. She knows what to do but she will randomly skip a pole here and there. It is not the same pole. My trainer thinks she is trying to catch up to me so is skipping the pole. Her weaves were fast all night but she'd duck out and duck back in at full speed.

The other thought is that she may be having trouble collecting her stride at full speed so she'd pop out at pole 3-4 and then back in.

Any advice?

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Which training method did you use? Regardless I think I would look at opening them back up for a session or two and then slowly close them again, see if that doesn't help her adjust her stride some. There is a section on the 2x2 weave DVD about stride work but, uh, I admit even though I have watched it multiple times I really don't remember how it's done, something about threading a rope through. I think DJEtzel did some stride work weave stuff though so maybe she can chime in? I think the method she worked with was similar but not as PITA to set up...

Also work on gaining more independence and doing more proofing, where she knows she is to do her job (complete each pole) regardless if you are behind or ahead of her or on the ground dropping a bag of cookies or doing burpees or whatever.

Julee & I have been renting at Goshen when we can & I'm trying a place in Manchester soon but I don't have a place that would be near-ish to you in mind......of course I also haven't looked in that direction. I can start looking to see what's around and I am also totally open to suggestions if you have a lead or your instructor gets back to you. What is your max travel time? And also days/times? I can be avail Thurs-Sunday but not weekly.

L&C: you should join in with Hudson. :) It would be fun, and you want to do more stuff with him right?
I'd totally be in for weekend stuff, as long as you all wouldn't mind a mostly out of control bouncy crazy dog.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I clicker trained the weaves when they were closed. Shaping + luring.

They are very independent at this point as in I can stand a long ways away and she will do them. They are fairly fast weaves for a small older dog, good bunny hop stride.

Summer is weird about weaves. We've tried every method out there and as soon as you change the weave opening she has no idea what to do. She seems to view weaves closed as a totally different thing that open weaves. We sometimes open them up an inch or two but any more open and she has no idea what to do. She's a very literal dog though and has always been the kind of dog that can be hard to generalize things with because she notices a lot of small changes. If that makes any sense...

At home she is weaving if I run ahead or hang behind but we don't have the room to put the weaves in a large sequence so my trainer was thinking that she is probably coming at them with much more speed than she is used to when we practice at home.

crazedACD

For now I have Sundays/Mondays off. Are thinking of Tails U Win in Manchester?

xpaeanx

For now I have Sundays/Mondays off. Are thinking of Tails U Win in Manchester?
Yes, any good/bad thoughts of the place? I'm not from CT so idk the scoop on a lot of places... I'll be there in a few weeks to get a feel for the place.

Also, if we did meet it doesn't have to be at any of the previously mentioned places. LOL. They'd be a bit of a haul for you. We'd have to find a place/trainer closer.

DJEtzel

I used channels to get a better stride for Recon, then 2x2s to get solid entrances. The rope thing I never tried, because I was told he was keeping his head low enough already.

His were also shaped/lured previously with the clicker with decent success, until we added speed and obstacles beforehand.

Yeees. You haven't even been to the Goshen facility yet, have you?

THE MASTER PLAN IS COMING TOGETHER
I haven't.

Bring lots of treats... We will work on his control and you will play & have fun with your dog. And you will both go home happy and tired. :)
hahaha, treats and Hudson, that's funny. The only time the Spazz eats is when he is with Julee

Staff online

Members online