Deciding on a future smaller breed

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
Ok this is mainly just for fun. I'm not planning to get another dog for probably another 2 years or so and next dog is going to be another Ibizan anyway, but I was curious what smaller breed you guys think would fit well with myself and our crew maybe later on down the road.

One day I would like to get a smaller dog. I love papillons and they definitely on my list though I really like the oversize byb type papillons so would probably adopt if I went that route or find a breeder who has really nice dogs and paps that are on the higher end of the standard in size.

Another breed I'm considering is a sheltie though even a small BC is always on the back of my mind since I love having border collies

My wants:

Coat- I like short coats or semi-longish, mild to moderate shedding is ok, but prefer not to have another dog that blows a ton of coat if avoidable

Biddable/easily trainable/good focus on their handler... would more than likely be looking for a trick dog/disc dog prospect

weight/height: Prefer 25lbs or smaller/18" tall or less

Do not want a breed that is prone to DA or HA. I can handle a little DR, but not preferable if I can avoid it.

I want a dog that is loyal, affectionate but also content to lie around on lazy days and not harrass me to go outside every ten minutes.

I don't want a dog that is too soft, but not too hard either... make sense? I like a good middle ground temperament and don't want a dog that is going to completely shut down if I raise my voice slightly ever.

I like herding breeds and sighthound breeds a lot... would consider a dog outside of herding and sighthound groups, but not into shih tzus, havanese, maltese, anything like that.

Let me know if I'm forgetting anything...

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Field bred ECS. :D

I've also met a Swedish Vallhund that is a pretty awesome puppy - haven't met any adults, though. I told they client that they had to keep bringing her back so I could watch her mature.

A Staffie may be a good fit, too. Although I don't know how DA/DR they typically are.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
Field bred ECS. :D

I've also met a Swedish Vallhund that is a pretty awesome puppy - haven't met any adults, though. I told they client that they had to keep bringing her back so I could watch her mature.

A Staffie may be a good fit, too. Although I don't know how DA/DR they typically are.
I think ECS are really cute... don't know a whole lot about them

I think Swedish Vallhunds are SUPER cute. Don't know a lot about them though. Will have to read up on them.

I love Staffie's... not sure where they range on the DA/DR as far as the bully breeds go, but I know my husband is a sucker for bully breeds. The only thing I worry about is if the DA/DR is a higher possibility we are always going to be a multiple dog home (3-5ish dogs will be about the norm). I'd rather not have to be in a crate and rotate situation if I can avoid it.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
American hairless terrier. They come in coated varieties as well. ;)
I love these. I may be weird, but I'm a sucker for hairless dogs. I actually want a Xolo (though Cricket pretty much is a xolo in so many ways). I loveeee Xolos.

One thought on the Swedish Vallhund is with the shorter legs it might not be a good decision as far as disc dog prospect?? I just worry about injuring a dog with such little legs.

Toller_08

Xolos come in a small size, don't they? I don't know anything about the breed, other than I was creeping FB pictures yesterday of coated Xolos and LOVE the look, but if you already like the breed and they come in a small package then they might be a good option.

Otherwise, I'm not sure! My friend's Border Terriers would fit your description. They're awesome little dogs and not quite as terrier-ish as, say, a JRT would be. They're not necessarily biddable in the sense that they only want to work for you, but they are very easily motivated by food and play which makes teaching them things pretty easy and fun. But I've only known a handful of Border Terriers so I'm not sure if they're all like that or not.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
I love these. I may be weird, but I'm a sucker for hairless dogs. I actually want a Xolo (though Cricket pretty much is a xolo in so many ways). I loveeee Xolos.

One thought on the Swedish Vallhund is with the shorter legs it might not be a good decision as far as disc dog prospect?? I just worry about injuring a dog with such little legs.
I'm not sure about disc, but from stalking breeder websites I know that many are titled in agility. So they're definitely not a "fragile" breed. But you're right, not quite the disc dog prospect.

JacksonsMom

Xolos come in a small size, don't they? I don't know anything about the breed, other than I was creeping FB pictures yesterday of coated Xolos and LOVE the look, but if you already like the breed and they come in a small package then they might be a good option.

Otherwise, I'm not sure! My friend's Border Terriers would fit your description. They're awesome little dogs and not quite as terrier-ish as, say, a JRT would be. They're not necessarily biddable in the sense that they only want to work for you, but they are very easily motivated by food and play which makes teaching them things pretty easy and fun. But I've only known a handful of Border Terriers so I'm not sure if they're all like that or not.

I was going to say BT, but that's because I'm kind of obsessed with them, even moreso after spending time around quite a few at the Barn Hunt. They're AWESOME little dogs. And hell, at this rate, it may take me another 2-3 years to get one, so we could definitely get them at the same time :rofl1::p

Mina

BRT - "the black watch"
My wants:

Coat- I like short coats or semi-longish, mild to moderate shedding is ok, but prefer not to have another dog that blows a ton of coat if avoidable

Biddable/easily trainable/good focus on their handler... would more than likely be looking for a trick dog/disc dog prospect

weight/height: Prefer 25lbs or smaller/18" tall or less

Do not want a breed that is prone to DA or HA. I can handle a little DR, but not preferable if I can avoid it.

I want a dog that is loyal, affectionate but also content to lie around on lazy days and not harrass me to go outside every ten minutes.

I don't want a dog that is too soft, but not too hard either... make sense? I like a good middle ground temperament and don't want a dog that is going to completely shut down if I raise my voice slightly ever.

I like herding breeds and sighthound breeds a lot...

One breed which immediately comes to mind
is the Schapendoes (Dutch Sheepdog).

Except that the coat is, perhaps, a bit on the long side,
I would say they would fall perfectly into
each and every one of your "wants"

Two pleasant surprises we had with these little fellows were:
- how relaxed and content they are indoors, and
- how few hairs they left on me ... and this,
even after lazing in my lap for over a half hour.

Very bright, very engaging, lovely little dogs!!!

CaliTerp07

Tons and tons of them at agility trials. I thought it was the same random mixed breed I kept seeing, until I finally saw 3 or 4 of them together at the same trial and realized it was a breed.

Members online

No members online now.