What are these bugs OMG HELP

milos_mommy

Okay, so recently, I saw a bug crawling on my bed. It was very small, brown, with a flat body, like a little beetle, probably the size of a pin head. NOT a flea...bigger than a flea, doesn't jump. Presumably not a bed bug, I have no bites, and it's body was smooth (not sectioned).

I figured it was just a random bug, but then, I went to microwave one of those herbal heating pads, and ONE WAS IN THE MICROWAVE. Ok. Changed the bedding, vacuumed the floor, it's bugs-in-the-house season.

I saw another one on the bed a few days later, and I just saw one crawling on Milo. He's been really itchy lately and had a hot spot, I thought it was dry skin though, because there's no fleas or flea dirt, and I have no bites. It also healed up after he had a bath and I gave him benedryl for two nights.

I googled every bug I could think of...it doesn't match the pictures of bed bugs or fleas or ticks, but could it be a subspecies or something? Also, how do I get rid of them? I'm really hoping they're not IN the mattress. I'm going to just vacuum like every day and vacuum the mattress and put baking soda and whatnot down and hopefully it will help

BlackPuppy

Owned by Belgians
My grandmother had carpet beetles once. We ended up bringing them home and my parents had to exterminate the whole house. I was just a kid at the time.

Romy

Taxiderpy
ETA: Ours had really smooth shells though, not ridged like the ones in the photos.

Weevils? There's a lot of different colors and stuff. When we were little kids we'd get tiny brown ones in the bedroom curtains in the fall.

This is sort of what our curtain ones looked like. They'd try to snuggle into the seams to sleep through the winter. lol

milos_mommy

They look like the carpet beetles in Catstina's link, but are brown not black. Ok, that's a lot less scary than what I was imaging it to be.

Mach1girl

They are bed bugs and the ONLY way to rid of them is to burn your bed. Vacuum & treat your carpets..........you pry picked them up at a motel or something. VERY hard to get rid of......................and do bite.

milos_mommy

No, they're definitely not bed bugs.

They're carpet beetles...more specifically I think cigarette beetles. And they don't seem to be at all growing in numbers (I might see one every couple of days) so hopefully just vacuuming more regularly (and vacuuming the mattress when I change the sheets) will keep them at bay.

Members online

No members online now.