Exposure to kennel cough

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
If you know your dog has been exposed to kennel cough recently is it best to get them vaccinated ASAP? Or should I just watch them and wait? They haven't had a bordatella in a long time. There was a dog at the trial that was crated near mine that came down with kennel cough this weekend.

JacksonsMom

Prob too late. I think it takes a good 2 weeks for the vaccine to kick in anyway.

It'd be like if we spent all day and night with someone that had the flu and then got the flu vaccine the next day. It'd be pointless at that point (to defeat that particular strain, anyway. It may be useful if you think they will be exposed again in the next month).

But yeah with KC it seems hit or miss anyway. The vaccine doesn't cover all strains. Jackson's gotten KC even after being vaccinated.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
Our holistic vet recommended preventative use of DMG (we use the VetriScience drops). So far it's seemed to help us ward of kennel cough twice.

Brattina88

Yea, I have to agree with JM, too ;)

FWIW - Bailey came into direct contact with a coughing dog (I told them it sounded like KC and they took the dog to the vet next day and got diagnosed ) and Bailey never got it.... :)

DJEtzel

I also agree with JM...

and I would think that aside from being ineffective, it could weaken the immune system, causing the dog to be more susceptible to infection.

I don't mind URIs too much... I've had a few dogs catch them over the years (while being vaccinated), not a major issue in a healthy dog, and we've never needed to get a vet appointment for them. They've been exposed probably close to half a dozen+ times in the last few years at events, the park, daycare, etc...

Members online

No members online now.