Nail Manicure Mat

I was reading the latest issue of Cesar's Way & in it is advertised a manicure mat for dogs called the Beckky Board. You place it in a high traffic area for the dog and it keeps the nails worn down. I checked out the web site & it is interesting to say the least. The smallest size costs $60.00. Great idea if it in fact works.

Julee

UNSTOPPABLE
Someone here taught their dog to scratch on sandpaper, which I imagine would be similar. Better than supporting anything related to him, lol

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Someone here taught their dog to scratch on sandpaper, which I imagine would be similar. Better than supporting anything related to him, lol
This, different dogs have different anatomy of their feet and grind differently. Running, kicking off, digging in, will grind but a simple walk will not.

Training the dog to dig on command on a large sandpaper board is a fantastic alternative for the front feet of a dog who won't allow easy trimmings.

emc

Now why do I for some reason think that the dog would just walk around the mat and not on it?

Taqroy

I use deck tape on a hard back book. This is a really bad video, but illustrates the concept. I know Linds has done this with Traveler too - it's really awesome for front paws.

[YOUTUBE]rp_2KrZgUp4[/YOUTUBE]

Also it doesn't cost $60. :p

We essentially created a scratching board for our dogs. I think we used something called step grip. (It's what you put on steps to give them a bit of grip.) It feels like sand paper but has a sticky back so you can secure it to something. We secured it to a small ramp.

When the dogs use it, it works. However, prior to making this I was strongly advised to be careful. The sanding/grinding that the dog does creates heat. Too much heat can be uncomfortable for the dog. Also, they can become numb by doing it, thus not feeling the heat, and cause more harm to themselves (sort of like quicking themselves without knowing it).

So it's a fabulous idea, but be smart about it.

Members online

No members online now.