Too soon for leather collar?

Bigpoodleperson

Megan and Draco
So, I really want to get Draco a leather collar for everyday use. He has a teal nylon one now that is very nice quality, but its stained, fraying, and stuff (he plays Ruff with other dogs, and rolls in stuff). I am looking for a basic one for now as he is still growing. He is almost 6 months old, and Im not sure how much bigger his neck will get. Good idea to get a leather one now? He is black, so what collar would look good? Any ideas for Plain, basic, good qualtiy leather collars that arnt too expensive if he out grows it?

Upendi&Mina

Mainstreme Elitist
So, I really want to get Draco a leather collar for everyday use. He has a teal nylon one now that is very nice quality, but its stained, fraying, and stuff (he plays Ruff with other dogs, and rolls in stuff). I am looking for a basic one for now as he is still growing. He is almost 6 months old, and Im not sure how much bigger his neck will get. Good idea to get a leather one now? He is black, so what collar would look good? Any ideas for Plain, basic, good qualtiy leather collars that arnt too expensive if he out grows it?
Honestly I picked Cara up a rolled leather collar at Petco and I love it. She has had it since she was six months old and is now nearly two and it's still in fabulous shape.

Romy

Taxiderpy
I was going to say rolled leather collars are pretty economical, but Upendi beat me to it. :p

Mendota makes nice basic leather stuff that is pretty affordable. I've got some of their leashes and am really happy with them.

Grab

Both Aesop and Goose started off in leather collars. They had rolled leather, due to Chow fluff and such. We, too, just got leather collars from the Petsmart/Co stores, since they'd be growing quite a bit. They got their more expensive collars when they were done growing

Romy

Taxiderpy
May I ask what the purpose of a rolled leather collar is?
They're more comfortable for dogs with longer coats than flat collars. Sometimes flat collars can break the hairs off too if they're worn constantly. Rolled leather collars don't do that.

Grab

Yep, nothing sadder than a Chow with sad, flat neck hair, lol

rubygirl

Would a rolled collar look goofy on a smooth coated dog? Her fur goes kind of flat from her 1 inch nylon collar.

Romy

Taxiderpy
I think it would look nice. :) My friend with smooth collies puts them on her dogs because flat collars will break their hair too.

It also look great on short hair breeds.
Same as others,both mine started on rolled collars,from Petsmart and my favorite rolled collars are from Hamilton Collars.I think petguys.com,still,sells them.

swabby

I use the rolled leather collars on my Border Collies, makes their neck hair look much smoother. My only peeve, is that the red ones bleed forever on their white chests and it looks bad. Plus, the collars eventually turn brown anyway.

Next time, I am going to try to "set" the color with epsom salts and vinegar.

Bigpoodleperson

Megan and Draco
Thanks guys! I have a puppy rolled collar from petco, and I am not happy with it at all. :( Ill look into the others! And yes, I Need to get more Draco pictures!!

Members online

No members online now.