Playing basketball or "put away your toys", etc

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
The goal is to make this dog put this ball in this hoop. Or any ball.

I'm having trouble shaping this, any tips?

I totally shaped Arnolds Flyball run which meant taking a ball hating, non retriever and clicking him for every step of the way but I'm not sure how to shape a dog to put her highest reward (any balls) in this hoop.

Taqroy

Will she put it in your hand? If so I would put my hand in the hoop and have her drop it and then slowly fade out your hand. That's not exactly shaping though....

Will she put it in your hand? If so I would put my hand in the hoop and have her drop it and then slowly fade out your hand. That's not exactly shaping though....
That's a good idea. Plus, it might help to teach it first with a different object that she doesn't want to hang onto so much.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
I'll give that a try, she does out into my hand. I would like to try something else but she's either a love and get possessive dog or a must be convinced to pick it up dog.

Thanks guys!

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
What if you shaped the behavior with something she finds less desirable, and then convinced her to do it with her ball?

Finkie_Mom

It's A Red Dog Revolution
I did the put the toys away thing first with Kimma bringing me whatever and dropping it on my lap. That was easy to shape. Then I put the basket I wanted her to put the toys in on my lap. Then moved it off my lap but sat on the floor next to it, then I kneeled down next to it, eventually stood up, and THEN I started fading out the treats. If that makes sense. I know the hoop is a bit different (taller than my basket!) but I wonder if you could do something similar to what I did? Along with maybe using a less-desirable item :)

crazedACD

I was working on this (put away your toys) for a little bit with Romeo. I have trouble getting him to pick up and hold things though..so I basically settled on whatever toy he was interested in at the moment.

I literally used a low toy bucket...would throw the toy, he would come back to give it to me, I was kneeling with the bucket in front of me. He naturally spits it out, I was clicking when it went in the bucket. Then I moved off to the side a little bit..encouraged to go to the bucket..and he would spit the toy in the bucket. I can't even say how I got it, but he just caught on. But thanks to my wonderful click timing I did get the most solid 'put your two front feet in the bucket' trick ever first :p. And even now he will spit it in the bucket and put his feet in too. But, like I said, he doesn't like to do this with other toys so I've really put it on the back burner.

I was thinking that didn't really help, but typing it out maybe you want to start with an easier 'hoop'. The low, wide bucket..to a narrower bucket..raise it...etc.

crazedACD

Any luck with this?

I've been practicing on and off here. It really gives you a good perspective on how badly dogs generalize. He will mostly put balls in the bucket, and he's starting to pick up whatever I ask him to, but is having difficulty crossing over to putting other objects in the bucket. Just time and repetition I think, it's not an easy trick!

Members online