Puppy Food?

angie8023

I love my Sancho
Hey everyone. We went to a couple of shelters today and found a sweet pup to add to our family:) I am currently feeding my 3 year old Taste of the Wild. Do puppies have to be on puppy food? If so, can anyone recommend a good food?

Lolas Dad

Yes puppies should be on puppy food for at least until they are a year old. I cannot recommend any good foods but I can tell you what to avoid:

Pedigree
Science Diet
Grocery Store branded
Anything that a grocery store has
Anything with meat or animal by products in the ingredients. And anything that does not list the type of meat in the first ingredient such as chicken, lamb etc.

Dog Food Analysis - Reviews of kibble

Dog Food Reviews, Ratings and Comparison

Dog Nutrition - Dog Food Comparison

The above links I have googled dog food reviews. I have actually only been on the first site mentioned a few months back.

Dekka

Just try me..
It depends what you are feeding. I don't feed a puppy food even when feeding a really top quality kibble (now I feed raw) But if you are feeding a lower qual food then def go with the puppy food.

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
Puppy food is largely a gimmick. When you think about it, a wolf mum (the domestic dog's closest relative) wouldn't go find special "puppy prey" to feed her cubs; she would feed her cubs the exact same thing she or the rest of her pack was eating, nothing special for puppies past the milk stage.

Taste of the Wild, like many other grain free foods, is an all life stages food. This means puppy to senior this food is perfectly fine.

So my vote, is no puppy food. Just feed the new one the Taste of the Wild if that's what you want him to eat.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Nope, TOTW should be fine. Juno was on TOTW until she was about 3 or 4 months old, and then we switched to Innova adult and she's been on that since.... no issues.

showluver

Seems that TOTW is an all stages food?
There are many high quality brands that are for all life stages, so no need to seperate adult/puppy foods.

I would say TOTW is just fine for your baby.

Lolas Dad

Crude Protein 27.0% min
Crude Fat 16.0% min
Crude Fiber 4.0% max
Moisture 10.0% max
Calcium 1.3% min
Phosphorus 1.0% min
DHA 0.1% min
L-Carnitine* 100 mg/kg min
Omega 3 Fatty Acids* 0.40% min
Omega 6 Fatty Acids* 3.50% min

Crude Protein 24.0% min
Crude Fat 14.0% min
Crude Fiber 4.0% max
Moisture 10.0% max
Calcium 1.0% min
Phosphorus 0.90% min
L-Carnitine* 100 mg/kg min
Omega 3 Fatty Acids* 0.25% min
Omega 6 Fatty Acids* 3.50% min

Of the two above which would you feed your dog, the top or the bottom of the two presented here.

Members online

No members online now.