Training to Leave the baby alone?

MericoX

Roos, Poos, & a Wog!
When Aubrey has food, these two vultures narrow in. They are extremely gently about it.. just will follow her around and nibble the food out of their hand. So at least they're not knocking her over to get to her food. LOL.

But seriously, how do I train them to leave her alone? (I mean other than separating them when she's eating). Just a good "Leave It"?

Mum didn't like my suggestion of just stop feeding the baby :)D yeah.. I'm evil)

AgilityKrazii

Addicted to Agility
I would suggest just a strong "leave it" or you could teach them that when the baby is eating that they cannot step foot in the kitchen.

MericoX

Roos, Poos, & a Wog!
That's what I said!!

And she has to wander around the house when she eats. Or else she won't eat. The dogs are back to their hovering... they weren't hardly begging in Texas... guess Aubrey is just too easy of a chance to steal to pass up. LOL

Doberluv

If it were me, I'd counter-condition Aubrey to eat in the kitchen, not walking around the house. But I'm kind of a control freak and a neat freak. LOL. The kitchen is where the food is available and nowhere else. She can be trained too. A few ignored tantrums, a few times with a hungry stomach and she'll change her tune and come to go along with eating in the kitchen if that's the only place food is available.

The second part of the solution to your problem is to train the dogs that by staying out of the kitchen until Aubrey is finished eating, (physically, body block and reward frequently for staying out they will get to come in the kitchen when given the invitation word and get to clean up under the high chair or kitchen chair. Good practice with "leave it" is definitely a help. That can be practiced in an easier context for a while....it's own exercise. Then try it out in various contexts like when appetizers are on the coffee table when you have guests over as well as when Aubrey has food.

Members online

No members online now.