Do You Have a Gun, Know How To Answer.

Miakoda

How many people has alcohol killed? Or cars/vehicles? Or string, neckties, fishing line, and a host of other ligatures? Or bathtubs and toilets? Do we ban those, too? Where do you stop? All of those have been used to kill other people, just as guns have.

The problem isn't with the guns. It's with the people with their fingers on the triggers.

You cannot legislate evil. Evil will always find a way. Cain used a club. Derrick Todd Lee used a knife (Baton Rouge serial killer). Ted Kaczynski used bombs. Do you think that banning guns would make those victims happy?

It really gets frustrating when people continue to take the blame off a human and put it on an inanimate object. No one wants to offend someone, and many want to make sad little sob stories to defend the scum that are responsible for the violence. It's easier to sue gun manufacturers and blame the gun for the damage.

I've held and shot a lot of guns in my lifetime, from pistols to hunting rifles to an AK-47 and SKS. Never, not once, did I injure someone, much less kill another human being.

As for spitting on the theory that more trained people carrying guns would deter some crime, well, more power to you. The subject of schools and their amazing lack of security has been a subject discussion between me and others a lot the past 2 years. I, for one, don't have a doubt, that if a school had 2 armed police officers patrolling the school during school hours, a criminal would definitely think twice before attempting or actually carrying out an attack. Feel free to disagree. But those people are cowards. They don't want someone else to kill them first.

Miakoda

and i am out . have a good day all , it is not worth fighting over on an internet board.
This.

Let's make a law saying you can't own a gun. Well, this fellow that killed those children already broke a law regarding stealing (he stole those guns and stole the car). He broke a law regarding murder (when he shot his mother, school personnel, and children). He broke a law about campuses being gun-free zone (by bringing guns onto the school campus). He broke a law about breaking and entering (he forced his way into the building). I could go on...

But yes, let's make another law. Because after all, it will have all the magic words, and criminals will look at it and quake in their boots and just give up their life of crime right there on the spot. :rolleyes:

crazedACD

I'm so sick of hearing "well if the teachers at the school had weapons, not as many children would have died", or "if the people in Aurora had had guns in the cinema, not as many people would have died." Siriously? You think primary school teachers should have guns? You think people should bring their guns to go to the movies, or the grocery market?
Mmm...yes? Why not? There is a gun in this house to protect the family. I see it no different from having it out and about with you. Obviously, with recent events, things DO happen unexpectedly and it's not always living in the middle of a city.

The point is that in most mass/spree shootings, the guns used were purchased legally. That is a problem. Gun control laws are not about taking your hunting rifle or personal protection gun away, they are about preventing guns from getting into the hands of people who shouldn't have them.
And that's fine IMO but who are these 'wrong people'? Criminals already are not permitted to have guns. How do you figure out who gets a gun?

I'm not saying that I accept it, but I don't think there is much you could do to prevent these kinds of things...other than specifically in this case, tighter school security. Unfortunately it's going to happen once in a while, for whatever that person has reasoned themselves with. Obviously he was looking to die, wanted to go out with a bang? He didn't try to run.

sillysally

Obey the Toad.

This was shared on facebook. Just food for thought.
The problem with that logic is that the VAST majority of people committing those crimes are doing so with weapons that are ALREADY illegal. I live a little more than an hour from Chicago. It is not at all uncommon there to have multiple people shot and killed in a weekend, sometimes in only a few hours time. The shooters are not random nutcases, they are not disgruntled employees, they are most often gang bangers, career criminals shooting at each other over gang business and occasionally catching hapless innocents in the crossfire.

Up until recently handguns we totally banned in Chicago. During that time Chucago became the murder capital of the US. The problem isn't the guns, it is the social issues surrounding the communities-lack of jobs, lack of services, horrible and dangerous schools, the drug trade, broken families, citizens afraid to talk to the police in fear of retribution, etc.

Another issue with simply banning guns is that the US shares a rather porous border with Mexico. Something banned here could easily be smuggled in from there, just as most of the illegal drugs in circulation are now, with the exception of meth. It certainly is no challenge to buy illegal drugs this far north of the Mexican border, so why would it be that difficult to buy illegal guns should they all be banned?

I don't own a gun-I don't have a horse in this race. I'm telling you though, it just would not work.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
The problem with that logic is that the VAST majority of people committing those crimes are doing so with weapons that are ALREADY illegal. I live a little more than an hour from Chicago. It is not at all uncommon there to have multiple people shot and killed in a weekend, sometimes in only a few hours time. The shooters are not random nutcases, they are not disgruntled employees, they are most often gang bangers, career criminals shooting at each other over gang business and occasionally catching hapless innocents in the crossfire.

Up until recently handguns we totally banned in Chicago. During that time Chucago became the murder capital of the US. The problem isn't the guns, it is the social issues surrounding the communities-lack of jobs, lack of services, horrible and dangerous schools, the drug trade, broken families, citizens afraid to talk to the police in fear of retribution, etc.

Another issue with simply banning guns is that the US shares a rather porous border with Mexico. Something banned here could easily be smuggled in from there, just as most of the illegal drugs in circulation are now, with the exception of meth. It certainly is no challenge to buy illegal drugs this far north of the Mexican border, so why would it be that difficult to buy illegal guns should they all be banned?

I don't own a gun-I don't have a horse in this race. I'm telling you though, it just would not work.
As I said before, I don't think guns could be regulated now, the bed has already been made.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady

and i am out . have a good day all , it is not worth fighting over on an internet board.

^^^ this

I haven't even read this whole thread, but I own guns... I own hunting guns and between Josh and I we own 2 hand guns as well. We use our guns for target practice, hunting and the hand guns are also for home defense should someone break into our home and try to harm us or the animals. I am NOT willing to give up my guns... absolutely not. Who knows what may happen in the coming years... I may need my guns as a tool to help keep my family fed or if anything major happens I may need my guns as a tool to help keep my family protected.

I'm very saddened by this whole incident that happened yesterday. I spent a good part of yesterday in tears honestly. I do think anyone that murders someone (outside of self defense) is completely messed up, but to take the lives of so many innocent little children.. I just can't wrap my head around that. I don't understand how anyone could look a child in the eye and do that to them. But... do I think that guns need to be banned... no way!

Miakoda

I would be curious as to how many times guns were used to save someone's life. Too bad no one bothers to keep those statistics.

Another thing I've noticed quite a bit: those people who push for the banning of guns, or super-strict and asinine gun legislation, are also the same people who push for the banning of certain breeds or are at least ok with it (think it's a good idea so they have no issues wit it, but don't necessarily actively push for it).

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
Yeah...I know...like re-electing Obama and more gun control. :rofl1:
Hey ... I didn't vote for the guy :/ lol

That being said I am kind of in a strange way relieved (tho no less saddened) by the fact (not to mention the tragic irony) that all of these recent shootings did not happen in a state like Texas, where the gun laws are quite lax.

It seems like the more control there is, the more violence: Mexico is a good example "technically" the only ones allowed firearms are military & police/govt. & look how much violence is there ... Perhaps if it was more like Texas, where the ppl were allowed to fight back, then ... I don't know.

GipsyQueen

Mmm...yes? Why not? There is a gun in this house to protect the family. I see it no different from having it out and about with you. Obviously, with recent events, things DO happen unexpectedly and it's not always living in the middle of a city.
If you want to use a gun to hunt, I don't have a problem with that. I wouldn't do it myself - but sure, if you are a responsible hunter fine. If you like to go to the shooting range fine. I don't have to understand your hobby, but some my not like my hobbies either, thats OK though.

I just think guns do not belong in elementary schools (or schools in general). That is my opinion though. It doesn't make me "a special kind of stupid" I never said I want to ban guns - I just think it's extremly easy to own guns.

Now I'll bow out of this thread, because round and round this arguement goes. I doubt anything will change in the USA. We'll debate about it now, it will die down in a few weeks, another shooting will happen, we will debate again and so forth.

joce

We need new mental health legislation. We need a crack down on the gangs(I know a large number of those gun deaths are the not so innocent killing each other and I hate to say I don't care, but they are gonna kill each other one way or another. Lock them up!)

We need long term care if people dont take their meds. This is for the safety of others and them! We need to stop the three day turn around. It's not working.

This is not about guns. It would be about bombs next. Look at the mentally ill who push someone off platforms, stab people. Etc.

We need new mental health legislation. We need a crack down on the gangs(I know a large number of those gun deaths are the not so innocent killing each other and I hate to say I don't care, but they are gonna kill each other one way or another. Lock them up!)

We need long term care if people dont take their meds. This is for the safety of others and them! We need to stop the three day turn around. It's not working.

This is not about guns. It would be about bombs next. Look at the mentally ill who push someone off platforms, stab people. Etc.
:hail: I think you've spotlighted the real issue, Joce.

I just think guns do not belong in elementary schools (or schools in general). That is my opinion though. It doesn't make me "a special kind of stupid" I never said I want to ban guns - I just think it's extremely easy to own guns.
But guns are already banned in all schools due to federal regulation.

It did not help in this case at least. Does it help prevent other violence? Do people intending violence ever follow the laws?

Of course there are a few accidental/ negligent discharges each year. It is usually people trying to clean a loaded gun (drunk) but happens sometimes to sober people in public, or police officers.

So if we don't want schools to be easy targets, but don't want random people with guns, should we just pay up and have a police officer for each school? Many high schools have security guards, but they're not trained to the level of police, and I don't think are ever armed.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
we have armed cops on high school campuses here, regular drug dog sweeps also and you have to be buzzed into the building.
And people are ok with this but cry bloody murder at being patted down at the airport saying its an invasion of privacy..?

-bogart-

Member of WHODAT Nation.
And people are ok with this but cry bloody murder at being patted down at the airport saying its an invasion of privacy..?
yup , the dogs sweep the lockers , dont touch a kid , the cop has stopped the gang violence , and the buzzing in keeps the kids in and loonies out.

the TSA doesnt do anything but feel people up . the cop on campus has found a gun on a thuglet each year the last three years. and i cant tell you how much weed and pills they also get in the sweeps. so they actually do what there purpose is.

edit~ how is a cop on campus and invasion of privacy?

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
yup , the dogs sweep the lockers , dont touch a kid , the cop has stopped the gang violence , and the buzzing in keeps the kids in and loonies out.

the TSA doesnt do anything but feel people up . the cop on campus has found a gun on a thuglet each year the last three years. and i cant tell you how much weed and pills they also get in the sweeps. so they actually do what there purpose is.
Are things really that bad over there?

I'm actually gobsmacked.... Seriously. Guns and drugs in schools? Maybe they should spend the gun and police wages on addressing social issues so they don't need guns and police!!

That is insanity.

-bogart-

Member of WHODAT Nation.
Are things really that bad over there?

I'm actually gobsmacked.... Seriously. Guns and drugs in schools? Maybe they should spend the gun and police wages on addressing social issues so they don't need guns and police!!

That is insanity.
there are drugs everywhere. just because you don't see it , they are there.

i will say a good 85 to 90 percent of my sons highschool class where on some kind of drugs. weed is the biggie but heroin is getting up there.
dont even get me started on the adderall that is passed around like candy.

my son graduated in 2010.

GipsyQueen

But guns are already banned in all schools due to federal regulation.
I know, it was more repeating myself because I keep hearing "if teachers had had guns that day..."

I don't know - but guns and drugs are a social problem and should be addressed differently than doing drug sweeps and gun searches on campus. Thats not going to help those who bring drugs or guns not use drugs or bring guns to school again. IMO the school is missing the bigger problem. Why are kids even bringing drugs and guns to school? Taking away the weed or the gun isn't going to prevent it.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
there are drugs everywhere. just because you don't see it , they are there.

i will say a good 85 to 90 percent of my sons highschool class where on some kind of drugs. weed is the biggie but heroin is getting up there.
dont even get me started on the adderall that is passed around like candy.

my son graduated in 2010.
That's insane. I know which kids will gravitate towards drugs, but you don't get it in school. And weapons in school?? Never have I had that.

Wow. I thought we had bad social problems here. I don't know about inner city London, but... Wow!

Members online

No members online now.