What are your anxieties?

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
For me it's large crowds, using a public restroom (I try to go when no one is in there if I can ... Something about them hearing me "go" or something lol) & lastly ... Calling someone on the phone for the first time ... Even if its someone I know, I still get nervous :/.

BostonBanker

Walking into a room I can't see into ahead of time. I've worked at the same place for over 3 years, and I still can't go into the break room unless I'm going in with someone. The way it is set back in the hall, you can't see who is in there or where they are until you are actually in the room.

Zero trauma in my life that led to the issue, unless I'm repressing something crazy. It just makes my panic. More than once, I've walked halfway down the hall and turned back around. I just don't eat lunch anymore so I don't have to stress about it.

Lyzelle

Doing anything out of the norm. I'm a habitual person, and if my schedule is thrown off then I freak.

Using the phone. My hearing isn't awesome, so it's just ridiculously awkward for me to call someone, knowing I probably won't be able to hear them clearly.

Crowds or crowded places.

Zander running. Biggest fear, and I stress over it every minute of every day. Thus why I can't handle getting another fluffybutt at the moment.

People at the door that I don't know. I've been known to run and hide when the doorbell rings.

That's almost it, I think. I'm an anxious person in general, so it's sort of never-ending.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
I hate ledges.

I also get super anxious when I have to talk with someone on the phone that I haven't spoken with extensively in person. Going somewhere I'm not familiar with as stresses me out, especially when I'm driving.

And apparently being alone in my apartment also stresses me out.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Phone calls are an iffy one lol. Answering them I don't mind too much, but I hate having to call. I do much better with face-to-face conversation, so I also don't use drive-thrus for this reason lol.

And I have self-diagnosed myself with social anxiety, so most social situations really get me going.

Normally, not much of anything gets to me, but recently the insanity here has escalated and it's been . . . intense. I'm finally (oh, I hope) getting over a period of time where, at the sound of my mother's voice, I was having intense chest pains and my hands would shake uncontrollably. The shaking never really went away, either. Seemed like I broke every freaking thing I tried to work on.

Now I know what's going on and the anxiety-type stuff is subsiding, but now there's the anger to get through :wall: And if someone says something nice to me it's all I can do not to stand there and bawl like an idiot.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
My most irrational fear is window cleaners :D I hate them. HATE THEM.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
- Heights. Tall parking lots give me anxiety, the idea of rock climbing is my own personal hell

- Open water where I can't see the bottom. "something touched me? shark." I don't like natural bodies of water at all really..other than the ocean and even then..

- Making the jump from acquaintance to friend. Always. I am an exceptionally good dinner guest, student, acquaintance.. but the minute things get intimate (them calling me on the phone, inviting me out one on one, etc.. ) my anxiety skyrockets. My therapist thinks I have intimacy issues lol

- People calling me period lol

- Dogs escaping collars/running away. I walk dogs and I am constantly anxious of dogs escaping and running in the street

- Germs. I don't like touching things on the train, shaking hands with certain people, etc.. hand sanitizer is my friend.

- Strangers invading personal space. Library full of computer stations and someone sits next to me/running next to me on the treadmill at the gym/sitting next to me on the bus. GET. OUT. OF. MY. BUBBLE.

-Bumps in the night. Yes, I am an adult. Yes..sounds in my apartment put me into a boogeyman panic

- Driving/being in the car with people. If the person isn't a REALLY GOOD driver.. like the kind of people who are distracted, lean on their breaks etc... even if they are good drivers, I am in constant fear someone is going to hit us. I hate it. I have never been in a real car accident, there is NO REASON for me to be as scared of cars as I am

- Even with people I care about..people touching my face. Your hands are dirty, hands have oil.. I am going to BREAK OUT. There is a REASON I don't have pimples people!

so much more lol but those are the main ones lol

crazedACD

Thinking about it, yes, I hate making phone calls to people I don't know. It's really awkward for me. I have to think it over a million times about every way the conversation could go before calling. I also really hate angry people at my work, I tend to /avoid and slink around.

I've decided I'm very anxious about driving in snowstorms. I get panicked, I get upset if someone is behind or in front of me, my heart is in my throat.

CaliTerp07

Telling anyone something that might be disappointing. "Your child is failing algbera" (had to get over that one quick, but I still tremble dialing the phone). "We changed our mind and don't want you to come do yard work for us anymore." "No, mother-in-law, I'd rather you didn't spend MY ENTIRE CHRISTMAS BREAK at my house...that's stressful to me and I want my break to be relaxing." (I have yet to have the guts to say this one).

Money. I know we have enough, but I am paranoid that we are going to be pinching pennies in our old age and/or working until we are 85. I am grateful that I am not anxious enough to forgo charitable giving, but I deny myself a lot of little pleasures (like a new (to me) car when mine is 13 years old) because I am afraid of the repercussions down the road.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
I hate ledges.

I also get super anxious when I have to talk with someone on the phone that I haven't spoken with extensively in person. Going somewhere I'm not familiar with as stresses me out, especially when I'm driving.

And apparently being alone in my apartment also stresses me out.
Same here ... Sans the alone part ... I love being alone, to the poor where I sometimes get almost irritated with my OH's presence sometimes because HE'S very "clingy" like he doesn't like to be separated for very long , I m the opposite lol.

Torch

I typically don't like my routine interrupted. Sometimes things that interrupt my norm make me cranky.

I also worry a LOT about money. I care very little for material things, but I've always had this crazy obsessive need for financial security. I like have money in my hand, in my pocket, in my bank account, and squirreled away in a million places. I guess growing up dirt poor will do it to you.

And what Fran said about making the jump from acquaintance to friend. I thought, "OMG that is so me!! How did she KNOW?!!"

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
I'm a control freak but I hate making decisions for fear of disappointing those around me. I am paranoid about forgetting things to the point that it can be all consuming and I forget anyway. I don't like being touched and I have to remind myself to look people in the face. I panic in crowds like most but particularly when I'm confused. I have some strange environmental anxieties both associated with trauma and completely unexplained.

I hate the telephone at work. I hate calling people, hate answering it, detest calling people and getting an answering machine with a passion. And, oh God, when I'm in the middle of leaving a detailed message and the person picks up - absolute torture. I probably sound totally normal, but in my head in retrospect I think I sound like Mr. Bean.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
Going to someone else's barn at the track & asking them for their services, like my horse shoer friend, I had to make an appointment wih him to do my horse's feet tomorrow.

He's my bud, the barn he was shoeing at are friends of ours ... It's stupid for me to be anxious about going over there, it's stupid of me to be anxious about our appointment tomorrow, I get the same when we have a rider come & take the horses to the track it's stupid I know, they are just doing a job, right? But still I can't help it. :/

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Monies! When I sit down and actually look at it, I'm fine. We are totally able to deal with most issues that would come our way. But I still stress about it constantly.

Getting kicked out of our apartment. Again, mostly irrational, but I worry about it a lot. Not even because we couldn't find another place or anything like that, I just LOVE it here! And I don't want to leave :p

Toller_08

Meeting new people and having to spend a lot of time with them one on one. I don't know why. I just get so worried like "What am I going to say?! My life isn't that interesting...". I know it's silly haha. I think I have some minor social anxiety all based upon worrying about my end of a conversation.

Answering the phone at home. Again, because unless they're one of a select few people, I worry about what I'm going to talk about. I feel like people can tell me stories and about their lives and all sorts of things, and I always feel like nothing interesting enough ever happens in my life so I don't have a ton of things to talk about. I don't want to bore people and I don't want them to think I'm strange.

I also really don't like sleeping at other people's houses haha. It feels weird to eat with people other than my own immediate family and it feels weird/rude to shower at other peoples' houses. I know it's totally illogical, and everything always goes perfectly fine once I'm at someone's house, but still.

Other than that I'm not sure. Trying new things I guess can get me a little worked up depending on what it is. Anticipating meeting a friend somewhere (again, the whole 'what am I going to talk about' thing!). I also hate making decisions that involve other people. I don't want to disappoint them - I prefer other people to be happy before I am, so I'd rather go with their decision (usually) than make them go with mine. Not really sure what else.

^ All of the above is why I'm just a little freaked out about flying to another province all alone and spending a bunch of time with people I don't really know. I know things always work out just fine and my stress is for nothing, but I do it to myself every time anyway. :rolleyes:

Oh, I forgot! Passengering or driving in a car scares me a little just because there are sooo many stupid drivers out there. No matter how careful you are, the guy beside you might be an idiot. I guess I just don't like the lack of control. You can only be so proactive yourself - you can't make everyone else drive the same way. One of my biggest fears is someone I love getting into a car accident.

Last edited:
-Germs. I wash my hand a lot.
-Getting into an accident. I was in an accident where the car spun around on black ice and hit the side of road.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
Getting kicked out of our apartment. Again, mostly irrational, but I worry about it a lot. Not even because we couldn't find another place or anything like that, I just LOVE it here! And I don't want to leave :p
Oh this one. I'm so so glad we own now...the whole we rented, either place, I was completely paranoid that we would get kicked out for some reason. No idea why...we were good tenants who followe the rules and kept the place up and paid our rent on time but I would worry and worry...

Members online