Help with sit command

ziopino

Yesterday i taught the sit order to my puppy. He learned after 10 minutes, and did it again everytime i gave the command. But this morning, when he sees me, he sits without command or signal, just when i go up to him.

Maxy24

He learned that sit gets him rewards but has not quite learned the actual WORD yet. When you do your next training section ask him to sit and reward him but if he ever sits without the command just ignore him for a minute. He should only get the reward for the times you ask him to sit, that way he learns that sitting only gets him rewarded if the person says "sit" first. Remember to ask him to sit frequently (so you can reward him frequently) during the training session so that he does not get discouraged.
He sounds like a smart pup!

ziopino

He sounds like a smart pup!
Thx Maxy! Yes, he learns very fast. Many years ago i had got a dalmatian, Pongo, wonderful dog, but quite hard to train...then i gave up training with him. BTW i'm not a expert trainer and i have not so much time to spend on...so a smart dog can be very helpful:)

AgilityKrazii

Addicted to Agility
Sounds like you have just created a great default behavior,where the dog offers a behavior that he knows gets rewarded now when he wants something he will sit when he doesnt know what you want he will sit because thats what has been rewarding in the past. I would not mess that up by doing what maxy suggested UNLESS you truly only want the dog to sit for you when you ask.

Members online

No members online now.