Describe a Fila

Paige

Let it be
The more and more I hear about them (and look at them, god they are beautiful) I can't help but drool over these animals. They're stunning. I hope one day to actually maybe, possibly, be able to have one. Not any time soon mind you. I'm up to my ears in dogs as is.

So, for you Fila owners, describe your dogs to me. Temperment, personality, height, weight, activity level, grooming requirements, medical issues that they have or that are common to the breed, exercise, and above all else what it's like to live with this stunning creatures. And anything else you'd like to throw in there.

bubbatd

Renee .... the key is drool !!! LOL !!! I'll never forget the length of Kharma's stringer !!

Saje

Island dweller
Did you see the thread I made Paige? There is a Fila in a shelter in Chilliwack :p

Filas naturally have a distrust for people they dont know, and for good reason. If I were around most fila breeders for any amount of time I would hate people in general. I would love to meet a fila breeder that isnt a complete flake. I know there are some out there but if you are after a real fila plan on spending a great deal of time screening the breeders.
My fila is a great pet and certainly has the cat hunter instincts. He has taught me a great deal about hunting predators. For example I have learned that at my age hunting from a blind is much better than being attached to a 150lb freight train when he catches a scent. Seriously though he is a great hunting companion and fantastic blood tracker.

As far as a guardian goes, I'm not so sure. I know he has the tools and ability to bring down any man who isnt wise to fighting a dog, but I dont think he is aware of that. He may be a great guardian, but I dont think it is as natural to him as all the claims money hungry breeders make. I have spent much more time working his blood tracking than I have trying to make him a guardian. I think I over socialized mine, but I would rather err on that side than have a bad situation to deal with later. He also seems to show Karen that he has a guardian instinct, but when he is with me he is more like a cheesy party host welcoming every one he meets like they are long lost friends.

He loves kids, but parents who are scared of large dogs freak out when he starts playing with their precious little bundles of joy. He seems to have a great ability to understand the strength of his playmates. He is very gentle with my parents and with kids. Buckshot and I get pretty rough but he stops to provide first aid as soon as I say ouch (there are a few other words I say, but he is the only one that understands those words)

I have never had a better companion but they certainly arent for everyone.

Paige

Let it be
Did you see the thread I made Paige? There is a Fila in a shelter in Chilliwack :p
AGHHH!

Reallly? She still there? I can't have another dog right now sadly but I could you know. Spread the word. A shelter is no place for any dog, let alone a Fila.

:(

Members online

No members online now.