Shiloh Shepherds

Dakotah

Kotah BEAR
My main interest in Shilohs is their coat/size/apperance and their companionship.
These dogs just strike my fancy. :)

Dakotah

Kotah BEAR
:hail:. Shiloh Shepherds and GSD's cant even be compared. One's a couch potato and the other..well...isnt. It pisses me off when people use the term "old school" german shepherds. There is NO TIME in history when the GSD was bred for that size (well at least not by the people who actually cared about the working standard), but then you go out and everyone has to comment about how small your REAL GSD is and isnt a pure breed because of his sable coloring, and how they are supposed to be mellow dogs and blah blah blah it drives me INSANE. Please DO NOT compare Shiloh's or "old fashioned" driveless monsters to a REAL GSD, it gives people misconceptions about the breed and people need to understand a GSD is NOT an easy going couch potato, then NEED to work.

/rant
I'm sorry if I came across that way. I didn't mean too.

xpaeanx

well I can see that a lot of GSD people aren't fond of the breed. :p

I love the way they look, but I've only ever seen one in person, and I don't actually know much about them....

Oh, and weren't they bred from GSD? I thought I remember seeing somewhere that they started from a breeder who wanted to go back to early GSDs... maybe that's why everyone calls them "old school," even though they actually developed into something completely different?

BostonBanker

You know of a dog that has had SEVERAL bites? And he's still around? Sounds like a loose cannon to me!
Preaching to the choir, trust me. Although I will say, I think it is mostly a management issue at this point.

Oh, and weren't they bred from GSD?
They were, but there is other stuff mixed in. Malamute for sure, I know. You can mutate a breed pretty quickly if you are selecting for certain traits. I was under the impression for the small bit I've read that the whole "breeding for the old - style GSD" was pretty much a tagline for the original breeder, who, as mentioned above, isn't considered a 'good' breeder at all. I think it came from the attempt to breed for more square hips and a level back, and less in regards the the size/temperment.

DanL

Preaching to the choir, trust me. Although I will say, I think it is mostly a management issue at this point.

They were, but there is other stuff mixed in. Malamute for sure, I know. You can mutate a breed pretty quickly if you are selecting for certain traits. I was under the impression for the small bit I've read that the whole "breeding for the old - style GSD" was pretty much a tagline for the original breeder, who, as mentioned above, isn't considered a 'good' breeder at all. I think it came from the attempt to breed for more square hips and a level back, and less in regards the the size/temperment.
Yeah, too bad all you need to do to get a level back is to get a working line dog!

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
There was one at the kennel I worked at this summer. Extra large teddy bear really. Was nothing like any GSD I've ever met. Supremely passive. Awfully pretty, I like them, I just wouldn't ever want one.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
From the thread on the other site the breeders never said they were recreating the 'old GSD', they instead said they were taking a lot of the traits of the GSD and changing them to better suit the companion niche. As they said 'Keep some GSD traits and changing others'. They never said they were good working dogs and they never said their aim was for working dogs. They wanted a GSD looking type of dog with a mellower personality, long hair, and larger for whatever reason. Their dogs were doing things like therapy work and they did pass their herding instinct tests, but they all agreed would fail at the type of work you see GSDs doing. They just don't have the drive, the speed, the build, etc...

Now, I'm not giving my personal opinion, just passing info along. ;)

Sweet72947

Squishy face
FOHA had dog once named "King" who was either a Shiloh Shepherd or a King Shepherd. We weren't sure which. He was big and hairy, and quite the teddy bear. This was before I was into taking pictures of the dogs, so unfortunately I have no pics of him.

From the thread on the other site the breeders never said they were recreating the 'old GSD', they instead said they were taking a lot of the traits of the GSD and changing them to better suit the companion niche. As they said 'Keep some GSD traits and changing others'. They never said they were good working dogs and they never said their aim was for working dogs. They wanted a GSD looking type of dog with a mellower personality, long hair, and larger for whatever reason. Their dogs were doing things like therapy work and they did pass their herding instinct tests, but they all agreed would fail at the type of work you see GSDs doing. They just don't have the drive, the speed, the build, etc...

Now, I'm not giving my personal opinion, just passing info along. ;)
but thats the thing, a GSD is a working dog, there are no traits from a GSD in a Shiloh, because they are a WORKING breed. The drive, speed, stamina and built is what makes a GSD a GSD. :)

vomdominus

Prey Drive's a BITCH!
These were bred to be big, cuddly pets. These aren't working dogs by any stretch of the imagination, which for me, takes most of the fun out of owning a dog.

But to each his own, I recognize that these are great dogs, and the fact that they're not, on the whole, drivey monsters makes them a great addition to the GSD type, gives the pet owners a sure sub-type to go after.

vomdominus

Prey Drive's a BITCH!
From the thread on the other site the breeders never said they were recreating the 'old GSD'
THOSE are DDR and Czech dogs... square, smart and strong. Ty, a DDR male, looks more like GSD's from the '20s than he does American show lines or the modern West German Sieger-type.

Members online

No members online now.