FSS breeds

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Can someone write out a good explanation of the FSS and some of the breeds on it. I'm having a hard time convincing people these breeds are not new and are nothing like designer dog crosses. (For reasons unknown to me)

The coonhounds have been around forever, and the black and tan is actually already in the hound group (!?!). Those are in "Where the Red Fern Grows" which is set in the past.

Some are fairly new.. Russell Terriers from the JRT split stuff.

The Icelandic Sheepdog goes way back, but has now been supplanted by the BC as a working dog :(

drmom777

Bloody but Unbowed
The coonhounds are FSS because the AKC runs coonhunts. The reason the Black and Tan (and now the Plott) are registered both ways is that the bloodstock is completely different, like many AKC breeds, regular AKC Black and Tans are really now useless for their original purpose, they are much heavier than "real" coonhounds, for example. Far from being some kind of designer dogs, these six breeds are real working strains of dogs that have been around for a couple hundred years.

There are several other registries (UKC, PKC) that register coonhounds and run both hunts and bench shows. Beautiful dogs, mine is amazing.

He is beautiful, inside and out.

Can someone write out a good explanation of the FSS and some of the breeds on it. I'm having a hard time convincing people these breeds are not new and are nothing like designer dog crosses. (For reasons unknown to me)
One way is telling them most of the dogs there ARE accepted by the FCI, the FCI accept 335 breeds, while the AKC only 150

The xoloizcuintle is one of the more older breeds, it has like 3,500 years old the aztecs used them as food and as a tribute in a persons death.

Last edited:
The xoloizcuintle is one of the more older breeds, it has like 3,500 years old the aztecs used them as food and as a tribute in a persons death.
the Xoloitzcuintli was once a fully recognized AKC breed, but due to a lack of registered animals it got droped from recognition.

Members online

No members online now.