Teaching "Put it Away"

Having finally tired of tripping over the dogs toys, I bought them a basket today to put their toys in. How can I teach them to put toys in the basket themselves? I know it must be done in several steps, but I'm not sure where to start. Radar is the only one who plays with the toys, but Lilly is far more intellagent. I think both can learn to put them away. As I have mentioned before, clicker training is not really an option with Radar, as he is afraid of the noise the clicker makes. Any input is appreciated.

Have the dog pick up the toy, and then have the dog follow you to the backet where the toy came from. Say, "Clean up!" or "Away!"
and have the dog drop it into the basket.

Continue to do this until you know longer have to show him where to put it.

Keep the phrase to one or two words MAX.

DanL

We've done this with Gunnar, not regularly so he doesn't know it too good, but what we did was use the "bring" and "leave it" commands together. He brings the toy to the toybox, and I point to the box and tell him leave it. It works but it's hardly like getting him to put the stuff away when he's done with it! :)

R

RedyreRottweilers

step one is to teach the dog to pick up and hold an object.

You can use clicker principles to teach ANY dog (which I recommend). You need not use a clicker. You can use any sound as a marker, including the word yes.

Members online