Do you like where you live?

Ignis

I guess i like it, but honestly, I would rather live in a warmer place :) Specially in this time...

Catsi

Hmm... it's the place I love to hate! But at the same time I love living here! I'll see if I can explain.

Why I love it...
- Relatively small population - 8000 people in my town. No hustle and bustle. 1 traffic light in the whole shire. Easy going, quiet lifestyle.
- It is really safe. I've never felt unsafe.
- Rents are cheap.
- You have the necessities for living and you could easily not have to leave town unless it was something a bit different and then you can drive 80 km to the 'city' (population 180,000)
- There is an alright beach that the dogs LOVE here.
- There are heaps of places to go walking with the dogs - I love going down the park and turning off around the horse paddocks. We say hello to some horses and the wallabies! There are enough little places like that to keep us entertained on daily walks.
- There is different and interesting bird life here. There are still some pockets of wetlands around here, not many. But the ones that are left are beautiful.
- It's central to so many different places, north and south. We have the Whitsundays two hours south of us and many, many national parks, gorgeous beaches and places to explore within 500km. Further afield is worth checking out as well. I have seen so many places here since moving, I'm so lucky.
- I live 5 minutes walking distance from work.

What is not so good...
- The place is surrounded by sugarcane. Not much natural environment left. Just sugarcane as far as the eye can see. A bit depressing for someone who loves nature.
- There is every fast food outlet known to man in this small town. And yes, I eat at them occasionally. But holy crap, I didn't think it necessary to have so many lol.
- I don't enjoy the night life here. But that's ok because I don't generally enjoy that scene anyway. I can go out if I so desire when I go away.
- It's hot and humid (can't get away from that if I want to live in North Qld though).
- Some people here treat their dogs like ****. It's honestly probably more noticeable because I work at council and find out things that I wouldn't normally know. But for the small population, there seems to be a lot of really crappy owners here. It happens everywhere I know, but... it's just in my face here more I guess.
- This town is a tad boring. But I'm not one to get bored too easily either - I make my own fun. This weekend I am completely vegging out and doing nothing. Might go and catch a movie with friends but that will be it. Many weekends I'll go camping or on a day trip, so there is always something to do somewhere. I wouldn't want to be stuck here week in, week out put it that way.
- It's not a 'beautiful' place. That's ok. Not the end of the world. But one day I will live somewhere breathtakingly beautiful lol.

Really, as you can see my gripes are really trivial for the most part... well except for the tearing down of wetlands for sugarcane and the dog stuff... but again, that happens in a lot of places.

Overall, I love it here and it was the best move I've ever made. It's taught me to explore your area when your there. Get out and discover stuff. I have spent all up 21 years in my hometown and I haven't seen all that much of what is around there. Will be rectifying that at some stage though!

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
No, I really don't like it here. I'm only here because I'm going to school, but when I'm done the first thing on my list is finding a job elsewhere lol

The Bad:
-Small town, very little to do besides go to the many bars and drink, which I do NOT enjoy.
-The towns residents are somewhat standoffish to college students. To be honest I don't blame them fully, but still.....it's not the "people are so nice there" I was expecting before I came here. They seem to warm up once they get to know me, but still....
-This is not a dog friendly town. Plus most places are very punishment heavy.
-45-60 minutes to get to anywhere besides the very few stores in town.
- I have different opinions and idea of fun from most of the people here, so I just don't make friends very well.

The Good:
- It's not overcrowded, which helps me.
- It is very pretty a lot of the time. There are some local trails (within driving distance) that are really nice.
- I can use the public parks for the dogs without worry of it always being full.
-Low crime rates
- Very low COL! ^_^

For the most part I think it's a nice town and the people are nice once they get to know you, but it's just not my kind of town. I love the hot, sunny summers, but it's not enough to make me stay.

noludoru

Bored Now.
I just changed my mind.

No.

I want to live somewhere with NO ICE. It's not even the roads as much as scraping it off my car. And all the other cars.

I do, very much like where I live! Will I retire here, possibly, that will depend on what my son is doing really. But if he were to stay here I would have no problem staying here, at least for the summer...winter may have to be else where lol.

Pros:
We are getting more and more every day, more stores, more amenities, more activities. It's a fair sized city, 80,000-100,000 people, plus probably 30,000+ more shadow population. We have lots of outdoor activities, all year around (if winter sports are your thing lol), we have quadding trails, walking trails, a small ski hill, a wave pool with water slides, a few very nice gyms, and jobs, lots of jobs that pay very well. We have people from all over the world living here, immigrants and refuges, we have Islamic schools, and multi cultural days, heck McMurray Gospel Assembly, the St. John's Roman Catholic Church and the Markuz - Ul Islam all went together to get land to build their churches on together, that's amazing to me.

Cons:
The world has a very poor view of my home, it has been painted by green peace and their ilk as everything that is wrong with the world, and people believe the propaganda, rather then investigating the truth. It's very disheartening to hear people bash your home when they have never been there, and when they do come they fly over the mines and that's it, they don't look further to find out what is done with. The mines when they are mined out.
We don't have enough mom and pop stores, things here are just too expensive for them to survive unfortunately. And due to wages and rent costs things are more expensive here, including services, and service is not always the best.

In the end I love this place, it has given us a good life, we are able to provide for our families, I was able to afford to travel to my parents house several times during my dad's last year and not have to worry about loosing my job or being able to afford it, this is something I may not have been able to do living elsewhere.

SoCrafty

Well, I didn't really have a choice to live here when I was younger - kinda spurred a super hate that's fizzled down to a Ehhh, its okay. I like the area I am living in now, but I would much rather live in a state with seasons! I really love the mountains in NC or even northern GA. Love, love, love that area. I wish that we could find a cute little house, with a mountain view, in a small town. Think Dillard, GA.

yv0nne

Vizsla mom
What do you like about it? I don't really have any experience with that part of Canada, but my husband has been pushing for a trip to PEI or Nova Scotia at some point.
In the summer, it is absolutely gorgeous. Not much beats the views, beaches or hiking trails. It isn't the place to come if you want to shop or do crazy things but if you're up for a relaxing adventure filled with the nicest people you'll ever meet (seriously. Disney begs for Cape Breton people to work for them)& great food& atmosphere? Not much (if any place) can beat here. The places to hike are absolutely amazing ..we have the Cabot Trail so we win automatically in scenic views department!

There are all kinds of summer festivals that are cheap/ free. I absolutely adore this island in the spring/ summer/ autumn! Everyone is pretty much good people& we have some of the most fun pubs around with amazing local music. If you like beer, we have Big Spruce Brewery (so delicious!) and I don't think you can beat our local musicians. There is about 40 festivals over the summer just in the main town not to mention we have Fortress of Louisbourg! It is just a really good time. You guys should visit ..I'll show you around& our pups can play :D

..done bragging, now!

crazedACD

Not at all. I'm in west central Massachusetts. I much prefer the southwest.

I hate the forests here. It's all freaking woods. You go to other places and there is desert with plateaus and cliffs and canyons. Mountain ranges with open space and rivers and interesting things. Here...it is...forests. And more forests. Trees. The occasional sickly looking pond.

The only thing I like is the lack of traffic on my commute, but then again if I have to use any of the highways to somewhere...there is still traffic. Sometimes backed up for hours because there is ONE main highway through the state.

I don't like the people or the lack of diversity. It's like soccer mom country. Every town has three pizza shops, a gas station, and a dunkin donuts. I'm lucky there is a Wal-mart in my particular town. I miss Florida where every business you could ever want to visit was within 30 minutes (and 10 minutes in the other direction, you could be in a seriously rural area). It's expensive to live here. (You're lucky if you can find the crappiest most restrictive studio apartment for $800/month)

Nope, I'm ready to move.

I would love to move to California, Florida or maybe somewhere else. The foliage is gorgeous in fall here but I hate the winters in New England.

yv0nne

Vizsla mom
I....
:eek:
I actually thought Cape Breton was in Africa. Why did I think that? I always looked at Penny pictures like awww, there is that African vizsla! Africa is so pretty! :rofl1:

Okay, my mind is blown. And I feel dumb admitting this. :rofl1:
Oh my goodness. I somehow missed this but I just died of laughter when I read an African Vizsla! Best thing I've read in a long time

I do really like where I live! It's been named the "number one collegetown in the US" a couple times, since there are two fairly large colleges - when classes are in session, students make up about half of the population here. It's got a great energy and is just the right size, in my opinion - big enough so there are things to do, but small enough to be easily navigable. It kind of has a reputation as a "hippie town" and people here tend to be pretty liberally minded and environmentally conscious, which is something I personally enjoy. It's also a really pretty area, with gorges and waterfalls and cool hiking trails all over the place. Also, it's quite dog friendly.

I do kind of wish I was a little farther away from home - I've lived here all my life, and as much as I love it I do feel a little "stuck" sometimes.

GingerKid

I currently live in a medium-sized city (~1 mil), about 3 hours from where I grew up. On the one hand, there are some really great things about this city (it has lots of off-leash areas, decent views, pretty good music scene, great food), but on the other hand, it is very expensive to live in, and it is winter for 5 to 7 months of the year. And, outside the city, there isn't much for wilderness. No mountains, no forests, very few lakes, and no ocean.

I grew up in a small town (pop. 3500) and I have no intention of ever moving back there. Not because the town itself is terrible - for such a small place it has quite a few amenities, some nice parks, is only an hour from a major center - but I have no desire to live in the town of which I have so many bad memories.

Elrohwen

I do really like where I live! It's been named the "number one collegetown in the US" a couple times, since there are two fairly large colleges - when classes are in session, students make up about half of the population here. It's got a great energy and is just the right size, in my opinion - big enough so there are things to do, but small enough to be easily navigable. It kind of has a reputation as a "hippie town" and people here tend to be pretty liberally minded and environmentally conscious, which is something I personally enjoy. It's also a really pretty area, with gorges and waterfalls and cool hiking trails all over the place. Also, it's quite dog friendly.

I do kind of wish I was a little farther away from home - I've lived here all my life, and as much as I love it I do feel a little "stuck" sometimes.
I went to Cornell and looooved Ithaca. I would totally live there.

AlbertaLab

I like where I live actually. It's a small town (around 3,600 people) and we purposely moved here to get away from the big city. We can leave our doors unlocked without fear of having a home invasion, kids still play street hockey and ride their bikes all over the town. It's lovely. However, we are trying to sell our house in hopes of moving to an acreage. That's because of my DH's home business though, not because of the town we're in.

Members online