The dog musing/vent thread

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
So I took this afternoon off to take the dogs for a walk for an hour or two. Only I took benadryl beforehand and yep.... lied down and didn't wake up until now. And now I have to leave for the horse show. I feel like a lousy owner since they'll be locked up the rest of the day.... but we got a good cuddle!
I had to leave mine lock in for most of he day Yesterday too because I had to help OH put shavings in stalls for his bosses horses who are coming in today (20 horses in all) and my parents had to go somewhere too yesterday (the dogs don't stay out when no one is home) so needless to say they were pretty desperate to get out this morning :(

I just had the most overwhelming walk with Astro.

It's like all of a sudden, he's decided he's crazy and mannerless. I know he's going through a teenage phase, but **** this came on QUICK. He's now 35 pounds of solid dog, and he decided the best thing to do would be to hurtle to the end of the leash, run back, bounce off me, and repeat. Oh, and he grabbed giant sticks along the way, the better to beat me up with.

When I finally got him calmed down from his zoomies, he decided to start trying to yank up somebody's freshly churned lawn earth. He got tangled up in his leash, I went to untangle him, and he growled at me over the dirt! Just in the past 2 days, he's gone from "you can safely take anything out of my mouth" to "I'm going to resource guard a patch of soil." I had some of his kibble in my pocket, and I got him to successfully leave it and de-escalate, but that was just about the only success.

Oh, and did I mention his prey drive kicked in? I'm starting to dread taking him out on walks with so many issues presenting at once. NYC is not a forgiving place. There's litter, squirrels, rushing cars, pushy people. I focus on working through one or two things with him, and then OH WAIT, there's a loose cat whizzing by, a piece of chocolate cake just lying on the ground (seriously? litterbugs really get to me), another dog with an owner that can barely control it...

Shakou

Would not doubt it for a second. Reminds me of a dog park I know of that a friend's sister takes her dog to. The regulars at that park apparently call themselves the "hill people" and from what I've been told, they're pretty **** similar to the nutters in that video...
lol idiots! Idiots everywhere!

yv0nne

Vizsla mom
I have to pack for tomorrow ..but I'm lazy& really, really don't want to. Ugh. Plus, my dog is fast asleep& snuggly but I'm avoiding her because it will just make me even LESS productive.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
Today I am straight racing with Joey for the first time. I'm hoping it will help build his confidence and follow on the lure more so decided to give it a shot. Found out there are going to be other Ibizans including the Ibizan that used to be my old neighbor's dog. He is now owned by a lady in PA and courses and is also a therapy dog. I haven't seen him in what feels like forever so I'm beyond stoked to see him again.

I might just be on cloud 9 today. Redhotdobe is going to come to hang out as well so yay!!!!

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Every time that I steward at an obedience trial I think about how much I'd love to try obedience. Then I get home and I realize that I actually have very little interest in playing obedience or training for obedience. It's one of my favorite sports to watch, I think a good team and a nice run are a thing of beauty, but really it's just not for me. But it happens every time!

Paviche

Duuuuude.
Rave for Riffers: My older brother moved in with us on Monday. Riff's never met him before, and he hits both of Riff's major "scary" triggers: tall and male. The first couple of days were rough, but Riff has warmed up to him REALLY quickly. He's crazy about him! Riff still gets scared (startled, more like) if Tyler comes around a corner quick, but in less than a week he's made a huge improvement. AND, Jeromy came over the other day (also tall and male) and Riff did not react as strongly to him as usual, so I think having Tyler around all the time is helping to desensitize him in general. Yay!

DJEtzel

Recon's solution for the IQ treat ball? Slam it into the walls as hard as possible until it breaks open and the goods fly everywhere.

This means he has a high IQ, right? :rofl1:

SpringerLover

Every time that I steward at an obedience trial I think about how much I'd love to try obedience. Then I get home and I realize that I actually have very little interest in playing obedience or training for obedience. It's one of my favorite sports to watch, I think a good team and a nice run are a thing of beauty, but really it's just not for me. But it happens every time!
OBEDIENCE! It's the bestest. Duh.

A sweet, strange dog showed up at the gait of my fence earlier when I was brining Pirate inside. Nearly had a fence fight but I picked Pirate up and carried him inside. I didn't catch the dog when I had the chance and now I'm feeling sick. I came inside and then back out and he's gone. I'm really worried about him. He had a sore on his head, above his eye and one on his neck. No collar, intact male. Labrador-type with a GSD saddle. I think this is the same dog I saw on our walk the other night. It's pretty cold out right now and if someone calls the sheriff, they'll likely shoot him (they did this even when we did have a shelter and A/C, which we don't now).

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Baby dog has a UTI. I was actually kind of relieved to see all those white blood cells under the microscope lol. This dog is like incapable of holding urine for more than an hour and pees in her crate basically every single time she's in it (and the longest she's in it is overnight - for 7 hours), so I really, REALLY hope this is the reason why. I've been trying to accept that this is just the way she is, but it dawned on me yesterday that maybe there's actually something else going on.

Makes me laugh because whenever people come to the clinic with their 3 month old puppies CONVINCED they have a UTI because they're peeing in the house, I'm always thinking to myself "probably more like you just need to train it." And now I'm one of those people.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
Went to the vet Monday for routine checkups and a DEPO shot for Bear for allergies because he was licking his feet and belly raw. Everything was fine ... Except that Bear ... Who is almost 14 acted like N overstimulated puppy and Josefina almost took the face off a puppy who (albeit deservingly) stuck his face in her butt, very rudely.

Sigh ... Gotta love trips to the vet.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
I was so happy to have Abrams not tinkling by my door in the morning...only to discover its because he now tinkles in his crate right before I let him out. So his bedding was removed and now he just has his plastic crate bottom to sleep on. He is not impressed. I now get looks if disgust when I put him up and I hear him clanging around in his crate during the night trying to get his crate cover through the bars of the cage so he can lay in it.

Well, maybe if you wouldn't freaking pee on everything, my good sir, you could have a squishy blanket to sleep on. Not my fault.

Members online