Returning a dog to the breeder - Questions/Rant

Barbara!

Actually it is the reason I have trouble believing it was her doing, when I look at the pit bulls. Therefore it is relevant.

However, I do agree, I've often thought the sight hound takes it to an unhealthy level of bone. It's possible she (and gonzo) have a perverse opinion of healthy weight. One that a vet and most would likely disagree with. As said, there is muscly lean and there is unhealthfully skinny.
How is our opinion perverse just because you disagree with it? I love her dogs weight. I personally strive towards it myself. She goes to shows and sporting events and wins... If her dogs were too skinny, I'm sure someone there would have told her about it. However, she gets compliments on the health of her dogs and their weights...

Soooo.... Yeah.

Lyzelle

How is our opinion perverse just because you disagree with it? I love her dogs weight. I personally strive towards it myself. She goes to shows and sporting events and wins... If her dogs were too skinny, I'm sure someone there would have told her about it. However, she gets compliments on the health of her dogs and their weights...

Soooo.... Yeah.
So you think it's healthy to see vertebra on a dog? To see every single rib?

Hm. Yeah, most of us definitely disagree. And so did the vets, and the breeder of this dog.

And even if she DOES think sighthounds should look like that, it's no excuse to put the Fila in the same weight.

Doberluv

So you don't say things like "Its hard to provide it basic care" or "it is not an easy animal to live with" while talking about YOUR dog where you know its name and gender? Never said calling animals it in general means it -- as I used it in my sentence. IMO its completely different. Heck, I tell Ren he's an animal all the time lol
I getcha...misunderstanding. No, I don't usually refer to my own dogs as "it" since they have names. But I might if I were talking about a random dog in a general sort of way. "It looks so skinny." I might say, "he looks so skinny if I knew the gender." Who knows? But yeah...I can't say as I'd say about Chulita, "it is an awesome dog." :p

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
dont know how relevant this is, but this is Josefina (pics taken at about 10 mos of age), who is i assure you very well cared for, but is still a 'thin' dog naturally due to activity level & growing. You cant tell me that that Fila pup was 'trim' due to the same reasons, i know a under fed dog when i see one & that pup was an under fed dog.

-here is another pic, taken the same day from a different angle, it is possible to 'hide' a dogs condition... just saying & i noticed that the fila pup was always facing a certain way or had another dog in front of him so we could never see the true body condition... but what i did see looked like an under fed dog to me.

- this is her at a year, see how much more 'filled' she looks? it doesnt take much to change a dogs body condition, & knowing that, i have to believe the breeder, seems to me she stands to lose a lot more by lying so i choose to believe that she is telling the truth.

sorry iff the pics are a little big, they are from photobucket.

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
If her dogs were too skinny, I'm sure someone there would have told her about it.
They might have. How do you know people haven't?

People compete with lame dogs too. Often it takes a judge having the audacity to say something to get people to either retire the dog or seriously vet it. Most people don't cause that level of drama at trials and it's more of a private whisper.

Doberluv

Soooo.... Yeah.
Not everything is a matter of opinion.:rolleyes:

Danefied

Barbara have you been to shows with Teal?

Are you saying she gets compliments from first hand knowledge seeing it happen or?

i ask, because its almost beginning to sound like “the lady doth protest too much” except its you not Teal protesting too much!

IOW I don’t think you’re helping...

Doberluv

Barbara have you been to shows with Teal?

Are you saying she gets compliments from first hand knowledge seeing it happen or?

i ask, because its almost beginning to sound like “the lady doth protest too much†except its you not Teal protesting too much!

IOW I don’t think you’re helping...
Oh, so you noticed that too???:rofl1:

S

SevenSins

Actually it is the reason I have trouble believing it was her doing, when I look at the pit bulls.
There was someone who bought a puppy from another breeder we knew whose other dogs are in great condition and spoiled, but when he got the puppy he decided he didn't really like him and mostly kept him in his crate ... out of sight, out of mind. When, or if, he thought about it, he would feed him or take him outside. As it turns out, he suddenly realized one day that the puppy was borderline emaciated, and ended up dumping him at the shelter and telling the breeder he ran away.

So it's very possible for someone to have dogs that are in great condition, and completely neglect another because they just don't like the dog for whatever reason.

Barbara!

Well excuse the hell out of me for daring to make a peep while you guys go pages and pages talking about how you think she abuses her dogs like some sort of snotty group of girls in high school.

Carry on, by all means.

I'm mostly reading and watching but I want to make a comment.

It is entirely possible to only neglect one dog in the group. I know a friend who has two dogs, and lives with her parents. If she didn't live there, one of them would be uncared for and emaciated and the other would be thriving. They absolutely hate the other one, yet love the first one, while she loves both. SO... it is perfectly possible to neglect one dog and take good care of the other(s).

Doberluv

I'm mostly reading and watching but I want to make a comment.

It is entirely possible to only neglect one dog in the group. I know a friend who has two dogs, and lives with her parents. If she didn't live there, one of them would be uncared for and emaciated and the other would be thriving. They absolutely hate the other one, yet love the first one, while she loves both. SO... it is perfectly possible to neglect one dog and take good care of the other(s).
I absolutely agree. When someone neglects a dog or any animal, there's something not quite right upstairs, ya know? So, any kind of logical thinking we might attribute to or project onto someone who abuses an animal can't apply all of the time.

Danefied

Well excuse the hell out of me for daring to make a peep while you guys go pages and pages talking about how you think she abuses her dogs like some sort of snotty group of girls in high school.

Carry on, by all means.
Okay, but that doesn’t answer my question. Do you have first hand knowledge of going to shows with Teal in person? I know a lot of people outside of internetlandia and I can vouch for them in real life. If you can do that, it would most certainly be worth mentioning.

Otherwise...

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
i also wonder why you are defending her so much? its almost to the point of... weird :/. I mean i have showed with lots of ppl but if i were presented with evidence they did something like this i would definately want to know 'for sure', i am an animal lover first & a friend second, i even threatened to turn one of my own friends in years back because of the condition of a chow she had (matted, dirty, bad health etc...) if she didnt get it to the groomer. she took it that same week & did every month since then til he died of old age.

i mean a friend is a friend but if they are not treating their dogs well even if they hate one dog... i have never hated a dog but i have not 'meshed' with a few, one of them is my folks dobie mix, who i care for, but NEVER would i not feed her or not care for her just because our temperments dont mesh, if i feel myself getting frustrated, i turn right around & go in the house, come online or watch TV & chill for a few.

its quite possible, that since she prolly since she never liked the dog took him to trials or shows (since that would require working with the dog, handling him or looking at him in some way) so the likelyhood you saw him would be slim, ppl can be very good at letting even their friends/family see what they want them to see, hoarders are a good example of this, now many times have we seen on TV the family/friends say "i never knew it was THIS bad?"

Dekka

Just try me..

Carry on, by all means.
You are feeding the fire more than most in this thread. You refuse to answer questions which makes her look MORE suspicious.

I like my dogs thin, but that is crazy. I am not quite as active as I used to be in the dog world, but no, that level of thin is not normal in agility dogs, flyball dogs, racing dogs etc. When I was gathering samples of whippets I hit a few racing venues. Not one racing whippet looked anywhere near as thin as that fila or many of her other dogs (in various pics)

This is not a matter of opinion. They are skinnier. My opinion is that its not healthy or right. But the fact that they are very thin, thinner than any healthy active dog sport dog I know of (thinking on it I don't think I have ever seen one that thin competing ever.. but some rescues brought to trials to get socialized and have come from bad places have been pretty thin).. is not an opinion. It is a fact.

ETA I have had some dog sport (agility mainly) people tell me they thought Dekka was a little on the thin side last year. She was very well muscled though and looked great.

Paige

Let it be
I'd really like to hear back from Teal. I can totally understand why she may not want to touch this thread with a 12 foot pole though. It's a lot to absorb. I personally am reserving judgment till there is more information. My only solid opinion is I feel horrible that pup got into that condition.

Doberluv

I'd really like to hear back from Teal. I can totally understand why she may not want to touch this thread with a 12 foot pole though. It's a lot to absorb. I personally am reserving judgment till there is more information. My only solid opinion is I feel horrible that pup got into that condition.
This is how I feel as well. I don't want to accuse anyone without real proof. All I can say is, "that poor puppy."

Thin or lean...is not the same as emaciated/starving. Why does everyone keep bringing that up?:wall: For some reason, that is really bugging me. lol. If that puppy had gone on much longer, he would have died. He looks like some of those miserably abused dogs they show on that humane society tv commercial thing...the one that you can't bare to watch and have to change channels.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
no i was posting MY pics OF a thin dog as a visual aid to show the differences btw the two LOL, i know 'thin' is not the same as starving. that poor pup was starving, i hope he has a better life with the breeder or finds a new special person who will care for him properly :(

Members online

No members online now.