Great, Truffles has worms now...

2pups622

Soon to Be 4 Pups!!
You can disagree all you want BUT if you were breeding in this day and age EVERY Vet would recommend that you take a preventive approach and deworm pups starting at 14 days. They know for a fact that round worms are transferred from the mother to the pups and why would anyone take the risk of their litters health by not doing as recommended by the latest research??? To do otherwise imo, is foolish. I know for a fact that my dogs eat things, therefore they are dewormed and since it isn't recommended to deworm a bitch with one month of breeding we have to assume that she can pass them to her pups. Therefore deworming the pups as a preventive.

It is like raising a baby (human) years ago, people use to put babies to bed with bottles..............now we know just how much damage that can do to the teeth. So people are advise not to do it.

Just because something was routine, acceptable and recommended 30 plus years ago, doesn't mean it applies today.

And if you didn't have round worms,...................you got lucky. Just the same as if you put your babies to bed and it didn't rot their teeth.............you got lucky.

Try Googling it..........or better yet, why not call every vet in the book in your area and get their opinion.

Here just one source:

Roundworms in Dogs & Puppies
Wow you seem angry!! :eek:

Just wanted to say I am young & up to date. I don't breed so i can't comment on that But as a pet owner I don't feel the need to pump my dog with chemical's Not every dog get's worm's & if they do I would re-evaluate where i am bringing my dog Or in Truffles mom case Take care of the flea's or whatever caused the worm's.

S

Squishy22

Apparently they are round worms, so the fleas did not cause it.

Round worms normally come from the dirt when adult dogs get them. I dont know about you, but my dogs come into contact with dirt since I take them to go potty in the grass.

I'd rather worm my dogs yearly to make sure. Better to be safe than sorry. Especially after seeing what happened to my moms dog.

Have them tested every year, at least.

2pups622

Soon to Be 4 Pups!!
Apparently they are round worms, so the fleas did not cause it.

Round worms normally come from the dirt when adult dogs get them. I dont know about you, but my dogs come into contact with dirt since I take them to go potty in the grass.

I'd rather worm my dogs yearly to make sure. Better to be safe than sorry. Especially after seeing what happened to my moms dog.

Have them tested every year, at least.
Yes my dog's are dog's so they do play in the yard. I will still keep them chemical free & just keep testing every year.

adojrts

Wow you seem angry!! :eek:

Just wanted to say I am young & up to date. I don't breed so i can't comment on that But as a pet owner I don't feel the need to pump my dog with chemical's Not every dog get's worm's & if they do I would re-evaluate where i am bringing my dog Or in Truffles mom case Take care of the flea's or whatever caused the worm's.
Not angry, but certainly annoyed. The whole point was that Grammy is basing her opinions on being a breeder ages ago. Somethings don't change when breeding dogs, but to disregard and advise someone (anyone) on health issues based on methods/theories used a long time ago annoys me.

I also don't put chemicals into my dogs and avoid it if possible..........but there are somethings that it is wise to use modern research, methods and treatments.

GlassOnion

Thanks, and Gig 'em.
Roundworms are only given through the milk if the mother has them. Else wise they aren't transferred. If the mother is clear, the pups will likely be cleared as well.

They also shed eggs pretty consistently, so if there's nothing in the fecal sample and it wasn't over looked, then it's likely the dog doesn't have roundworms (given proper prepatent periods and the like).

Additionally, most heart worm preventatives have dewormers in them as well, which are very effective. Very rarely do we see a dog who's on a heart worm preventative that has worms unless it's straight up ivermectin or something.

most likely, its a couple of syringes filled with nasty tasting creamy stuff that you give once a day for 3 days, then the next set of 3 in a week, or something like that to kill off the whole cycle of them gently but effectively
That thick creamy stuff tastes like bananas though! It's delicious. At least the Strongid stuff is. Panacur, maybe not so much.

Brattina88

roundworms look like spaghetti noodles. If they were short little things, it's likely tapeworms.
I've always been told ; roundworm looks like spaghetti, tapeworm looks like rice. Gross! But not easy to forget ;) LOL

Not angry, but certainly annoyed. The whole point was that Grammy is basing her opinions on being a breeder ages ago. Somethings don't change when breeding dogs, but to disregard and advise someone (anyone) on health issues based on methods/theories used a long time ago annoys me.
We all base our opinions based on our own experiences. I like seeing posts of how things used to be, and how they are now. I like to see facts of why we don't do things that way anymore. Or maybe why we should still. Educating is awesome. But I do think your post came off a little rude. We certainly don't have to agree with everybody - grammy's entitled to her opinion, and you yours. There is no reason to be angry or annoyed.

Roundworms are only given through the milk if the mother has them. Else wise they aren't transferred. If the mother is clear, the pups will likely be cleared as well.

They also shed eggs pretty consistently, so if there's nothing in the fecal sample and it wasn't over looked, then it's likely the dog doesn't have roundworms (given proper prepatent periods and the like).

Additionally, most heart worm preventatives have dewormers in them as well, which are very effective. Very rarely do we see a dog who's on a heart worm preventative that has worms unless it's straight up ivermectin or something.

That thick creamy stuff tastes like bananas though! It's delicious. At least the Strongid stuff is. Panacur, maybe not so much.
I may be misunderstanding - but roundworms are only transfered through a mothers milk? So adult dogs that have them never got rid of them?

It may be a stupid question, but I rarely ever come into a worm problem, so I don't know ;)

OP - there are HW preventatives that are supposed to prevent other kind of worms as well. (Before I switched to revolution) My vet suggested Interceptor for my crew, especially since they *may* be exposed with the rescues, or events where a lot of dogs are at.

S

Squishy22

Every puppy I've ever had, had worms. The only one that did not have worms when I got him was truffles. All others were the products accidental litters or bybs.

dogsarebetter

EVIL SHELTIES!!!!
I know its been said a few times,but i will say it again.

if your dogs are on heartworm preventative like they should be (unless you do not have mosquitoes) they should never have worms OTHER than tape worms. Heartworm meds do not do tape worms, it needs a special wormer.

I know its been said a few times,but i will say it again.

if your dogs are on heartworm preventative like they should be (unless you do not have mosquitoes) they should never have worms OTHER than tape worms. Heartworm meds do not do tape worms, it needs a special wormer.

I get it. I've quoted you so maybe they'll read it again.:)

S

Squishy22

I've taken truffles to the vet many times (for vaccines & flea meds) and the vet has never mentioned heart worm preventative. I've never used it. None of my family has ever used it.

My vet has gone over many things and she never once brought up heart worm. Unusual or what? She went over MANY things, but not that.

After worming my puppies, I've also never had a problem with them getting it again as adults and my family has owned many many dogs. Never happened before. Never seen a case of heart worm either.

I will be sure to ask the vet about heart worm. It irritates me that my vet made no mention of this and we DO have mosquitoes... just like any other state does.

Dont dogs contract heart worm from drinking contaminated water or from getting bitten?

dogsarebetter

EVIL SHELTIES!!!!
one bite for a mosquito is all it takes to get heartworm. all dogs should be on it and NEVER miss a dose unless you decide to stop for the winter months. here in KY we have to use it year around because it does not get cold enough.

i would be thinking about a new vet if he has never said anything to you about heartworm preventive.
heartworm is HELL to treat. Arsenic based injections, etc

S

Squishy22

Oh, wow. Thanks for letting me know. I think thats a red flag to get rid of my vet. Thankfully its the vet in WA state. I need to find a different vet now since our move.

It does get cold here. So I've been told. Lots of snow. Yay.... not!

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
roundworms can be encapsulated in adult dogs, in which they lay completly dormant, if there dormant they dont shed in feaces and therefore dont show up on fecal exams, this is how most newborn pups get them, the hromon change about 3 weeks before the pups birth "wakes up" the "hibernating" roundworms which are then transfered to the fetus (or thrrough mothers milk)
round worm is also found in feaces (highly common in cat poop), can lay dormant in the dirt, (and those dormant in the dirst can be ingested very simply if your dog is a sniffer or digger!) there also present in beetles grasshoppers, roaches, mice, even earth worms ect (chis tend to be bug eaters)

"Even if the mother tests negative
for roundworm the pups may still be infected because the
larvae of roundworms will encyst in the muscle tissues and
the normal tests that test for adult roundworms will not
pick up the larvae." is a direct quote from my vet (who is anti chemicals as much as possible)

roundworm eggs are also incredibly hardy, they can last YEARS without a host!

heck a dog can even get roundworm from PLAYING with other dogs, the other dog might have them and the eggs and larvea can be carried in the fur!
humans can get roundworm so keep the kids away form his poop, and make sure to be extra diligent about cleaning up the yard, oh and standing water is also a huge source of roundworm.

with skeeters in the area you realy should be on heartworm prevent, BUT with a dog as small as truffles, that may be the reason, chis are prone to ivermectin reaction, and i belive heartguard reccomends for dogs 5lbs and over...

Interceptor, Revolution, Sentinal, and Advantage would be worth looking into. i use inteceptor with the cresties as they are extreemly sensitive to ivermectin.
That being said, only heartguard and iverheart have pyrantel in them, which is the general dewormer, so if you decide to go with a different brand you will need a seperate dewormer.

if its is roundworm a good pyrantel payomate dewormer will work, but calling your vet for dose would be important because truffels is so small, youll also want to repeat the deworming a few times to get them all...

if theres fleas though it might be worth getting a full fecal done as a just in case, fleas are notorious for carrying tape (which needs a different dewormer and otc dont work well against tapeworm) tape can also take awhile to show, so it might be best to treat for both at the same time.

bubbatd

My pups were on heart worm meds before they went home. Yes , things have changed ...I only did everything available for my litters availabe at that time . During my first breeding years , no one even knew of heart worm !

S

Squishy22

Thanks for the info foxy. Very interesting.

Truffles is normally on revolution. I LOVE that stuff. I had a very hard time finding a vet who carries it here where I live. Luckily I found one who does just the other day.

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
while it is "officially" a general wormer, ive found the only thing effective, in this area at least, is pyrantel... it may be good against hook, but its useless against round in this area.

Members online