Multiple Dog Owners - How do you only take one?!

Baxter'smybaby

swimming upstream
I usually take both where we can--but if it is just for a joy ride, then Baxter comes along as he loves the car ride. Traveler doesn't ride as well anymore--it's tough on her older joints!!

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
ruby comes everywhere with me for the most part, its the whole service dog in training thing...

the chihuahuas just like to be togehter, so as long as i dont take 1 chi and leave the other behind there fine...

if im going somewhere like petco or the park ect ill take all 3 if im just hanigng out or taking a slow meander, the chis like to walk but only slowly and for a short time...

ruby gets to come with me when i walk for excersize becuase its a faster pace and longer distance and shes up for it as long as she gets to sniff before and after lol...

it also depends on the weather, when its realy nasty out the chis dont like being out...
as long as they have eachother there fine, if i only had 2 dogs however it would be a different story id hate to take one and leave the other home alone...mostly cause of my own feelings lol...

the couplers work fine as long as the dogs are all properly leash trained, dont mind being in eachothers close company and theyve had chance for some trianing/practice on them...vixie and dodger get a coupler, ruby gets her own leash because shes taller and tends to walk at a faster pace than the little legged chihuahuas.

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
Gonzo and Fozzie are two TOTALLY different dogs, and I feel lucky for that. They know they have their own outings, and both of them seem content with the arrangement. When ever I leave one behind, he gets a stuffed Kong, or a really good RMB, or a bully stick, so neither of them pay attention when I'm leaving. I think it's a GOOD thing to take each dog on outings individually, I like the one-on-one bonding time.

Fozzie is very social with other dogs, so he gets to go to the dog park several days a week.

Gonzo is very obedient, and very frisbee/ball-driven, so he gets to go to the park and the lake to play off-leash, usually every day.

Both of them are good with people and behaving in public, so they both come to pet stores, walks, Agility/Flyball classes, tournaments, dog fairs, etc. : D

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Thanks for the responses everybody.

Each of my dogs gets an individual walk every day, so I don't feel like I'm neglecting them, it's when I decide to take one of them with me somewhere after their walks that I feel guilty. I come home and the other two sit my the door and act like they should get to go somewhere now.

I think I'm going to have to stock up on bully sticks and maybe they'll forgive me, lol.

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
I think I'm going to have to stock up on bully sticks and maybe they'll forgive me, lol.
I think that will help! The way to a Corgi's heart is their stomach, after all. C:

Sometimes, if I give Gonzo something really yummy before I take Fozzie to the dog park, Fozzie will stop at the door and look back at me like, "Uhhh.... I'd rather have some of that!"

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
My dogs pretty much only go to the vet; I don't think they get jealous of each other! :D

Seriously though, I don't bring them anywhere. Lucy gets carsick and generally doesn't like other dogs so bringing her places would not turn out well. I wouldn't mind bringing Molly places but my mom never wants to. It really doesn't matter though because most of the time, when we go to the pet store, it's in the middle of other shopping as well.

A few times when I have brought Lucy somewhere though, I don't think Molly really even notices or cares.

corgipower

Tweleve Enthusiest
are you actually falling for that corgi guilt trip?? that's just a ploy to get extra treats ;) and he's obviously successfully taught it to the non-corgi as well.

don't let them fool ya. they are living it up while you're gone. :p

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
Hands down Elwood comes with us if we have to pick just one. He will be horrible if we took anyone but him and howl and complain the whole time we're gone, more than he does now. So if we go anywhere and bring anyone it's him mainly because we can't have anymore complaints about him.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
I don't... lol

The only time they ever go somewhere seperately is to the vet. Otherwise I just can't do it. I feel bad lol I can't bring one and not the other.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
I think that will help! The way to a Corgi's heart is their stomach, after all.
This is true, lol

are you actually falling for that corgi guilt trip?? that's just a ploy to get extra treats and he's obviously successfully taught it to the non-corgi as well.

don't let them fool ya. they are living it up while you're gone.
I can't help it that my dogs are smarter than me!! :p

Brattina88

It depends on where I'm going. Maddie gets to come to silly places with me, like fast food drive thru, the bank, to drop off or pick up something at work, a friends house, etc
Missy goes with me if I'm going somewhere I'm not sure of, out of town, or if its dark. Lately I've been taking her by herself on hikes. I'm teaching her different things like brace, pull, stand for the heck of it.
Of course, they both go with me on walks and hikes. Sometimes its just around the block, sometimes its an out of town hike so they can run offleash.
Missy's job is to keep an eye on things when I'm gone, and she's home. She takes it seriously (especially when I find her hair on the couch, and its warm LoL)

They never seem to notice. The only time its hard and I end up taking both or neither is if Missy see's me grabbing "her" leashes, and some bags - she gets excited and I hate to let her down. :eek:

AgilityPup

Agility freak!
Here it's pretty easy.

Morrie and Zoey know when its time for "Agigity" they both come, no problem, but now, Stiky, wants to come too, so we have to tell her no.

Sasha doesn't like going places, unless she chooses where, and when, like when she decides to run away.

Gyp gets car sick, so is happy to just go in her crate when she hears car/truck/van.

Zoey and Morrie BOTH usualy come with us to stupid places, any wheres really, I like taking Zoey to work on her focas in odd spots, and Amanda just hates to bring Zoey without Morrie. (LOL, We've taken Morrie and Zoey to the race track (Horses)).

So, really, for us, it's easy.

Juicy

I take out Pepe & Princess out first, Didi doesn't even know they're gone. Its hard to mange three dogs on three leashes and esp. now since Didi is blind. I would try out the whole coupler thing on Pepe & Princess and walk Didi with another leash, but since her blindness, its better now I just walk her separately. But before when I did use the coupler, Pepe pace was waaaaay too fast for Didi and was pulling Didid on walks, so I just used different leashes. Now with the new dog, I still walk Pepe & Princess first, then Prince$$ (the new dog) its better since she's shy of dogs, and then finally Didi. I camn't walk Didi or Prince$$ first because Pepe goes bananas when he sees me pull out the leashes & harness and would not shut up if I took out a dog before him. Atleast my the end of his walk, he's calmed down and wants to naps, so doesn't care about me taking out another dog.

As for places I only been walking them, no dog parks lately. Vets depends on what, rabies all of them, and Didi has days she goes to check on her eye and whatnot. For places, I took Princess one time to school for a presentation for dog massage. I choose her, because Didi is too aggressive and plus her health problem, and Pepe is too active.

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
Millie comes with me almost everywhere since she's my SDIT. That means Lucy has to stay home a lot.
If there's anywhere they can both go, such as Petsmart or Petco, I take the opportunity to have them both.
Before Millie assigned herself as my service dog, they both went or I rotated.

I rarely take all three together, unless it's to a playdate or something. Today Malakai went along with me to Thanksgiving dinner, as he does every year. The girls had to stay home.
When I go hiking by myself I can't take all three..so I might take Chloe and Freckles one time and Malakai and Freckles the next..For me its really not a big deal, and the dogs handle it just fine.

pafla

They are used to it.We have a class twice a week in training club so my arangment with tainer is that I rotate dogs.So once a week each dog.The one who stays gets dinner and no it is not a problem.Waiting for me to leave so the one who is staying can eat all kible-I leave it tossed around so she needs to do a bit of searching makes them annoyed.When I get home I take other one out for half hour.I also separate them sometimes for walks.Treats for the dogs who is left behind are normal.I think by the time they munch the treats down they forget about being left behind.And they love to stay so they can have all love and attention of other family members for themselves.

Members online

No members online now.