CJ is Kona's big sister

Barb04

Super Moderator
OK, first Kona is now a little taller than CJ, but CJ is definitely showing her the way. We took Kona to Petsmart for her first outing. Kona is so scared of cars and strange things so we are slowing introducing her to new things. Max is too puppylike so we took CJ with her. Kona was so happy to follow CJ. At first she wouldn't enter the store because of the automatic doors, but once she saw CJ enter and I said "Kona come", she followed. Wherever CJ walked, there walked Kona. I was so proud of both of them.

Only bad part was Kona got car sick on the way home. I've been taking her on very short car trips to get her used to it, but Petsmart was 5 miles away - too long this time. On 2 prevoius trips, she got sick 3 times in the car.

Oh, I forgot to say, on this trip, Kona threw up all over Carl. It took everything I had inside me not to laugh out loud. Carl was mortified. He couldn't wait to get home to get all of his clothes off. Now you know who had to clean up the car just like the other times - ME !!!!!!

I went to the store yesterday and bought some crystalized ginger as Renee suggested. I gave Kona a piece just to try and see if she liked it and she did. I will give her a piece today and try a short ride again. I'll let you know if it works.

Barb, take a bit of ginger with you in the car too. If she looks like she's going to start the drooling, give her a 'booster.'

The carsickness tends to go away as they get older, too. Shiva was awful about puking in the car (I had no idea how much she could stuff into that tummy of hers!), but as she's gotten older and been on more and more rides it's cleared up.

Doberluv

That's great! It's so cool to have multiple dogs, isn't it. It's interesting to watch how they learn from eachother. What good dogs you have! It's too bad about the car sickness. She'll probably get over that in time. I never had that problem, but I take the dogs in the car every day to go to the trail heads for our hikes...only a couple miles away, but sometimes we go off road braffin'. LOL. Yesterday up on a logging road which was muddy and very, very bumpy. I told them, "Get your sea legs on." LOL.

So, I'm pretty sure she'll get over that car sickness. Did you use a crate? That might help.

Barb04

Super Moderator
Thanks Renee, I'll bring the ginger with me. Kona is definitely a drooler.

Members online

No members online now.