dogs and cycling

My 3yo boxer mix Rolo was hard work as a pup,in every way.He was constantly hyper and I used to have to excercise him so much just to tire him out enough to make him managabe.Rolo is dog agressive with some breeds so I keep him on the leash most of the time but he used to pull all the time and training him to walk without pulling was taking ages.Places to let your dog loose are minimal and usually busy.So I thought I`d try him running with the bike coz I`d seen others doing it and thought if he wants to pull let him pull.We`ve been dog cycling for nearly 2years now and both love it.Not long after we started Rolo began to walk nicely on the leash too,like he realised the bike was for pulling and the leash for walking.He`s not a big dog Rolo but he`s strong and his stamina continues to grow,for the first 10 mins of our ride it`s just Rolo going flat out and me sitting,then as he eases off I start to pedal with him.I use simple horse commands to speed him up and slow him down.My 1speed bmx is now a 25cc enviromently friendly moped its great fun I`d totally recomend it.Does anyone else like to let their dog pull them on their bicycle?

~Tucker&Me~

Nope,
I am not allowed. It can be dangerous (I think so...) because if my dog see's a squirrel... I'm screwed.
LOL

~Tucker

You`re right it can be dangerous,you need to be ultra alert and distractions from other animals is probly the biggest hazzard.I dont know how old you are Tucker but I wouldn`t advise kids to try it.I`m full grown and have enuogh weight and strength to control my dog.I use a bmx coz it`s safer to bail from a smaller bike.Using an extension leash coz its safer and gives you more control but if your dog bolts in another direction you can get flipped off the bike so you`ve got to let go of the leash before the line runs out.Location,time of day and dog temprement also play a part.

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
It's ilegal here to ride a bike and walk a dog at the same time.

Same with rollerblading and skateboarding

~Tucker&Me~

Still in High School :).
I wouldn't ever do it, no matter how strong I am. On a bike, it wouldn't be hard for a dog to pull you at all. Yet, everyone's entitled to their own opinion.

~Tucker

D

Dobiegurl

I ride my bike with Chico and we both enjoy it. We can ride for miles and he never tires out and i get good exercise from it to. Chico I guess learned the hard way on how to properly run next to me because one time he tried to get in front of me and I couldn't stop and I ran his foot over, boy did he scream, I felt so bad but I couldn't do anything about it. From that day on he learned to run next to me not in front.

huskymad

I ran my dogs in front of my bike when i stopped doing racing with them. I now run my youngest attached to a springer device this attached to my bike frame ,mishka wears a tracking harness to run in. The springer i find is quite safe as the dog is a safe distance from wheels & pedals. I dont let her run on roads or pavements though ,i walk to the area i am going to run her. ie alongside the river on a wide track etc,etc or in the forest.Here is a pic from a few years ago of my b-collie & sibe bikejoring

R

RedyreRottweilers

I road work the young bitch I'm showing to my bike on a regular basis. I have a device called a WALKY DOG. It is a wonderful tool, and very easy to put on any bike.

I first started her using a prong collar. She now just wears a regular slip collar. She is well trained to ignore distractions, including cat, squirrels, and other loose dogs.

We do 2 to 3 miles 3 to 5 times per week.

Snark

Mutts to you
Has anyone tried scootering instead? Same principle as bikejoring, but a bit safer if you have to bail.

huskymad

I tried scootering but my youngest sibe didn't like an object behind her ,she was never collided with ,but just wouldn't run in front of it. so thats why i use a springer attached to my bike instead .she loves this way. Isold my scooter ,but found it great fun still

Members online