Feminist.... Are You One?

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
After working at a car dealership for over a year, I find it hilarious when I go to other typically male dominated places and they try and treat me like they would some other female. In many cases it's worse, because I'm short, petite and look about 10 years younger than I actually am. Then when I start firing back, negotiating and all the other things women are socialized NOT to do (good girls don't rock the boat), half of them don't know how to respond.

I like turning stereotypes on their head. I've always been one to buck the system and have tended towards traditionally male dominated sectors. I've had to learn how to have a thick skin and to give back as good as I get while not alienating myself completely. There was a study put out a few years ago about how women who negotiate their contracts are seen as less desirable to work with by their male coworkers. How f*cked up is that?
Yes I am a negotiator "rock the boat" kind of person. Here at the race track, you almost hav to be a "bitch" so to speak to get any respect. I see that more then I would like to elsewhere too, women have to be abrasive & what not sometimes to "be heard" & I wish it wasn't like that :(

Dizzy, awwww don't diss that song, lol I like that song & I like pink :)

Oko

Silence, peasants.
I don't consider myself a feminism. I'm for equality but I disagree with a lot of opinions that people who describe themselves as feminists believe. It has grown into a very subjective term. When I hear it, I do think of the intense bra burning, men should have kids, car mechanic times ten kind of woman.
So it depends on who is asking :rolleyes:
I think at this point that kind of feminist is a minority... If they actually exist. I hear that as an argument against feminists because they're crazy, yet I've never met one...and neither has the person saying what they're like. Not saying you, but the general populace I've talked to.

I think at this point that kind of feminist is a minority... If they actually exist. I hear that as an argument against feminists because they're crazy, yet I've never met one...and neither has the person saying what they're like. Not saying you, but the general populace I've talked to.
Exactly.

Letting a few fringe people define a movement or a term is ridiculous. That would be like judging all Christians based on Westboro.

Saeleofu

I think if a woman wants to be "domestic," then more power to her. If a woman wants a career outside the home, same thing. Just do whatever the **** makes you happy and is right for YOU, and stop worrying about what "society" thinks.

I don't label myself as a feminist because of the negative connotations associated with it, but all in all, I guess I do meet some people's definitions of a feminist (for example, Zoom's definition!)

One thing I cannot stand is that my coworkers at the clinic will. not. lift. a dog that weighs over 20-30 pounds. COME ON, REALLY? They insist the "man" (the doctor) has to do it. I regularly lift dogs in excess of 100 pounds (we really shouldn't have that many 100+lb dogs coming in, STOP MAKING YOUR DOGS FAT, PEOPLE!). I especially love it when these total MANLY-type-men come in with their enormous, fat dogs, and say something along the lines of "Good luck getting him on the table!" And then I go pick up the dog and put it on the table in one movement ;)

Am I really an "activist" on the subject, though? No. I have other causes that are more important to me, and splitting my energy as an activist between too many things doesn't benefit any of them. There are more feminist activists in this world than there are neurodiversity or service dog activists, so I'll spend my energy on the latter two topics, and y'all can tackle the former ;)

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Really? Out of ALL the songs out there with negative messages, THIS is the one that annoys you? I really don't see how 'young people' will feel the need to slap their SOS around due to the lyrics in this song.
Domestic violence in teenage relationships is sky rocketing.

Relationships are far far far more turbulent than they were even in my day.

And yes out of all the songs I picked that one. Want to know why?? The others aren't played on mainstream national and local radio 20 times a day and they aren't mainstream pop music!!!!

The hypocrisy kills me. If it was a song about a man slapping and strangling a woman I think it would be banned from the radio.

I don't care about lyrics to songs, sing what you want.... I DO care what is broadcast on national radio stations aimed at under 25s.

I work with a lot of teens who are VERY influenced by the music they listen to... It often defines their whole identity. I think that goes for most humans in most walks of life actually.

If we want to be treated as humans equally, then it has to go both ways.... We can't condone ANY domestic violence towards male/female/whatever.

Yes, it does drive me batty!!!!!!!

Censorship sucks, but come on pink, you aren't a niche artist, you're a very very well known pop star with tons of young girls listening. Ooooooh so he drives me crazy and I want to slap him? THIS is what a relationship is!!

(Actually, she's probably right, but come on ;) )

Oh PLENTY of pop music glorifies violence against women, rape, objectification, etc. I dont know this Pink song but it sounds like its more of a struggle of strong emotions and and violent feelings but NOT acting on them?

I mean what about that Robin Thicke song?

And that's why I'm gon' take a good girl
I know you want it
I know you want it
I know you want it
You're a good girl
Can't let it get past me
You're far from plastic
Talk about getting blasted
I hate these blurred lines
I know you want it
I know you want it
I know you want it
But you're a good girl
The way you grab me
Must wanna get nasty
Go ahead, get at me
Thats just a recent ones.....music industry is probably one of the worst offenders.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
I think if a woman wants to be "domestic," then more power to her. If a woman wants a career outside the home, same thing. Just do whatever the **** makes you happy and is right for YOU, and stop worrying about what "society" thinks.

I don't label myself as a feminist because of the negative connotations associated with it, but all in all, I guess I do meet some people's definitions of a feminist (for example, Zoom's definition!)

One thing I cannot stand is that my coworkers at the clinic will. not. lift. a dog that weighs over 20-30 pounds. COME ON, REALLY? They insist the "man" (the doctor) has to do it. I regularly lift dogs in excess of 100 pounds (we really shouldn't have that many 100+lb dogs coming in, STOP MAKING YOUR DOGS FAT, PEOPLE!). I especially love it when these total MANLY-type-men come in with their enormous, fat dogs, and say something along the lines of "Good luck getting him on the table!" And then I go pick up the dog and put it on the table in one movement ;)

Am I really an "activist" on the subject, though? No. I have other causes that are more important to me, and splitting my energy as an activist between too many things doesn't benefit any of them. There are more feminist activists in this world than there are neurodiversity or service dog activists, so I'll spend my energy on the latter two topics, and y'all can tackle the former ;)
Oh yeah I hate women like that HATE HATE HATE :wall:

If there is NO medical reason for you not putting out then get your lazy ass up & "cowgirl up", you don't see many women like that T the track becsuse they don't last, they want special treatment because apparently they are delicate flowers that will wilt if they have to do any work.

So no that is generally not tolerated in the horse industry.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
Domestic violence in teenage relationships is sky rocketing.

Relationships are far far far more turbulent than they were even in my day.

And yes out of all the songs I picked that one. Want to know why?? The others aren't played on mainstream national and local radio 20 times a day and they aren't mainstream pop music!!!!

The hypocrisy kills me. If it was a song about a man slapping and strangling a woman I think it would be banned from the radio.

I don't care about lyrics to songs, sing what you want.... I DO care what is broadcast on national radio stations aimed at under 25s.

I work with a lot of teens who are VERY influenced by the music they listen to... It often defines their whole identity. I think that goes for most humans in most walks of life actually.

If we want to be treated as humans equally, then it has to go both ways.... We can't condone ANY domestic violence towards male/female/whatever.

Yes, it does drive me batty!!!!!!!

Censorship sucks, but come on pink, you aren't a niche artist, you're a very very well known pop star with tons of young girls listening. Ooooooh so he drives me crazy and I want to slap him? THIS is what a relationship is!!

(Actually, she's probably right, but come on ;) )
I don't agree with censorship at all. I don't like the "man" telling me what is appropriate & what is not. why should she have to edit her music because people don't like what she is singing about?

Everyone blames music / TV / video games for violence, but it is the PARENTS of these kids that need to be doing their job, not expecting the government to do it for them. Censorship IMHO makes some parents lazy.

Lyzelle

I suppose I'm a feminist if you define it by Zoom's post. I believe in choice and equality. HOWEVER, I am realistic.

For example, realistically, a 120lb woman in firefighter gear isn't likely going to be able to drag a 250lb man + firefighter gear out of a burning building. If they CAN, cool, awesome. Go for it, girl. But sometimes there are standards for a reason, and I believe in the equality that man OR woman, you need to be able to meet those standards, including physical. I find it equally as frustrating that women who CAN do physically demanding jobs are turned down because they are women, but their male co-workers can't finish the physical fitness test themselves.

Yeah...because it is blatant abuse(but even then, not likely). But there are way worse, mainstream lyrics out there. Hollywood Undead's Kill Everybody is a good example, and it isn't sexist. The most important part to me about Pink's lyrics, or what you quoted (I've never heard it) is that the says she WANTS to. Not that she does. She also wants to hug him, but I suppose that doesn't count.

Violence is a common outlet for pain, frustration, and anger. But wanting to do something doesn't make you a bad person, and wanting to do something doesn't make you an abusive person. Sometimes wanting to do something and walking away is just as important as never thinking of it to begin with.

And to add, women are more likely to be emotionally abusive due to physical restraints than physically abusive. But I don't see anyone up in arms about how women emotionally abuse their spouses and children. It's only a problem that seems to get attention VERY recently.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
No it's parents, parents need to take the role of censorship. But what I don't like about it is that if it offends a said group of people, then everyone has to suffer because of it :(. If I want to see the un censored version of a movie then I either have to rent it or have paid movie channels like HBO (which I can't afford)
I mean I think having ratings for things is good enough

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
I see people are still blaming music for societal ills. It wasn't the problem before and it isn't now.
No one is blaming music for domestic violence.

I'm suggesting if a man sang about slapping or WANTING to slap a woman there would be outcry.

Don't even get me started on objectifying women!!!

And music IS society. It is identity. Identity comes from upbringing, culture, peers. Music, fashion, peer relationships, etc etc etc.

If you don't think these things have patterns you're blinkered!! Music and lifestyle can and often do go hand in hand.

You can't BLAME anything, but you can do the maths and look at what society is and how it relates to identity, popular culture, morals and ultimately actions.

You can definitely look at groups who like different music styles and identify different behaviour patterns. Easy peasy. Look at music through the ages.... You're telling me punk music had no influence on society? Or rave scene? Or mods and rockers? Or even the Beatles!

You can't BLAME anything, but people listen to music they relate to and feel comfy in that niche.

Anyway, I'm rambling.........

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
No it's parents, parents need to take the role of censorship. But what I don't like about it is that if it offends a said group of people, then everyone has to suffer because of it :(. If I want to see the un censored version of a movie then I either have to rent it or have paid movie channels like HBO (which I can't afford)
I mean I think having ratings for things is good enough
Agree, but how do you censor naked models on billboards, or other kids in the playground with mobile phones?

How do you stop them listening to the radio or seeing adverts on tv objectifying women, or dumbing them down, or blah blah?

Kids are SO sexualized these days. Never mind violence or views on gender!

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
You can't, but don't get me started on kids & cell phones lol, I didn't even get my first cell phone til I was like ...18. Because that's how old I was before I could afford one.

Sheltering kids doesn't make anything better either, the Amish community is a good example of that, you see what happens to their kids, who have led a very sheltered life get to go out into the very sexualized world we live in.

Kids who are raised in this world I think kind of get "used" to it, it's "normal" for them. But like I said, it falls on the parents to explain why that model on the billboard is naked, or whatever. It IS possible to raise a good child in this crazy world, I know if a good many folks who have raised very good kids in this world. So it is possible.

Oko

Silence, peasants.
Just because I 'feel like slapping someone' does not mean I'm anywhere close to it, with all the mainstream radio played songs to choose from, that's an odd one to pick at imo.

So, since spent most of my youth listening to Death Metal, Heavy Metal and NWA what kind of future should I have had? Much of my youth was spent listening to music about suicide, death, killing, and satan with a dose of nappy ass ho's in there getting smacked and stuck by all my homies

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
But the lyric isn't aboung opens It's about having a feeling.
Splitting hairs, I don't think most 13 year olds are that deep to consider ooooh is she singing about an action or a feeling. Hey little johnny, what is the feeling in one directions new song?

And this isnt really about THAT song, that's just happens to be the current crap on the radio.

I LIKE that music stirs emotions. I like that it can be hard edged, moving, even political.

It just drives me batty when its aimed at kids dressed as meaningless cheesy pop crap about ooooh I love you so I want to slap you... Wtf?

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
So, since spent most of my youth listening to Death Metal, Heavy Metal and NWA what kind of future should I have had? Much of my youth was spent listening to music about suicide, death, killing, and satan with a dose of nappy ass ho's in there getting smacked and stuck by all my homies
I think you're missing the point about what defines society.

And I grew up in heavy metal clubs then the outdoor psychedelic rave scene... Music doesn't make the person, it influences a lot though. A whooole lot!

Members online

No members online now.