What are eveyones thoughts about this breed?

B

BlackDog

SummerRiot said:
What do you guys think about Labradoodles?

I'm not looking into getting one obviously, but I was just wondering.
It's not a breed. You mean, what does everyone think about this mix?

If you like labs and poodles, I guess it's good. I haven't had an personal experience with them. Goldendoodles on the other hand I've seen alot.

Fran27

I'm going to spare you the debate unless someone starts it :D there are quite a few threads on the subject if you want to do a search. But yeah they are not a breed, it's one of those designer breeds, even though some people in Australia are still trying to make it a breed.

But to answer your question I don't like them much, I'd much rather have a lab or a poodle, either way you can end up with a dog that has the personality of either, and I just prefer the way labs and poodles look.

moe

I'd rather not get involved in a discussion on this (no offence) but I hate it wne dogs are crossed like this because of a fad.

Mo

I think they started out with good intentions, but has since become a failed attempt at a new breed. Seems people are capitalizing on the hype now.

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
I bet they're wonderful dogs personalitywise, but I don't like the hype. They are a mixed breed, not a breed. They started out as an attempt to breed hypoallergenic service dogs, but the attempt failed.

I get upset when I see these labradoodle breeders still trying to boast that all their "purebred labradoodles" are "non-allergy" causing. NOT TRUE! If you cross a lab and poodle, the pups are just as likely to be like a heavy-shedding lab as they are an allergy-friendly poodle.

It's sad when you look on petfinder. You find bunches of labradoodles that were taken to shelters when it turns out that they weren't really allergy-friendly.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
They're sweet dogs so long as one understands that they may or may not be the 'super hypoallergenic dog' they've been hyped up to be. There are a handful of lab- and golden-doodles that come in...there is such a varience in the looks! One labradoodle looks like a tall lab with a moustache...more like a german wire-haired pointer almost. Another has the poodle coat and lab size...

I've noticed that while people with full-on poodles will get them regularly groomed, the same thought processes don't seem to apply to doodle owners.

I am in love with one of the goldendoodles that comes in though. He's got the golden personality, height, color and coat length with the poodle texture. He's such a darling.

rosebud*

I personally don't like the look of them, nor the thought of then. Like it has been stated before you can find that type of dog in any shelter. You can call your dog whatever you like, if you would like a " designer breed". why must people look to just make a profit on a mutt. ( no I don't have anything against mutts I own one)

mojozen

bullie lover
Rosebud - I like your disclaimer at the end of your post. ;)

I'm in the same opinion of everyone else so far. I like mutts. I like poodles and I like labs. I do not like mutts being passed off as "designer breeds." I haven't dealt with any labradoodles yet, mostly because I do not frequent dog parks, or play groups. I couldn't imagine owning one after owning a lab-shep mix ten years aog... that dog played havoc with my allergies and asthma. Sweet dog... but a lab that's hypoallergenic? Duh... no.

Members online