Fromm Gold line

JacksonsMom

So I LOVE Fromm, as a company, and I think their formulas are pretty good, etc.

The last time I fed some of their foods though (two bags of duck & sweet potato, and one bag of pork & applesauce), Jackson got itchy. I don't know if it was just a coincidence, but once I switched him off the food, it stopped. But who knows, it could've been environmental.

But I'd love to give Fromm another try. I REALLY want the food to work for him, because I so love the company and the people at Fromm (lol, dumb reason? maybe)

But anyways, was considering giving their Gold line a try... specifically their large breed adult or puppy, IF the kibbles are larger. Jackson oddly does prefer larger kibbles, which the Four Star line doesn't have. But wanting to try Game Bird too, since we haven't yet, and I'm sure those kibbles will be smaller too but we'll just deal.

Obviously, he's not a large breed. But I don't see why it'd be a problem to feed it to him: http://frommfamily.com/products/gold/dog/dry/large-breed-adult-gold

So any body have dogs do well on their Gold line? Or the new Game Bird grainfree formula?

He's still on Acana, as he has been for a while. The Singles line has definitely what he's done the best on, but I admit, it's getting pricey. The Fromm Adult is $10.99 for a 5lb bag and I'm paying closer to $20 for 5lbs of Acana lamb & apple.

96 GTS

Custom User Title
Their large breed dog/puppy kibble is not large. I only know this because a bag ripped at the store the other day and I was REALLY surprised at how small the kibble was.

ETA: This is Lauren.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Juno is on gamebird right now. It is super super tiny kibble. Smaller than cat kibble. Surf & Turf was the same way and I have a bag of the beef frittata waiting in the wings that I'm sure will be uber small as well!

I'm actually taking her off Fromm once we finish off the bags that we have, because she's not doing that great on it. Most people would think I'm crazy and wouldn't think there's an "issue" but I don't like how her coat (or her poop) has looked since she's been put on it. I really, really wanted her to do well on it; but who knows, maybe it's just the flavors she's been on, maybe the red meats will work better.

Someone I work with feeds the LB Adult and she likes it, it definitely wouldn't hurt to try.

JacksonsMom

Their large breed dog/puppy kibble is not large. I only know this because a bag ripped at the store the other day and I was REALLY surprised at how small the kibble was.

ETA: This is Lauren.
That's so weird...

Ah well. I guess I could try a bag.

JacksonsMom

Juno is on gamebird right now. It is super super tiny kibble. Smaller than cat kibble. Surf & Turf was the same way and I have a bag of the beef frittata waiting in the wings that I'm sure will be uber small as well!

I'm actually taking her off Fromm once we finish off the bags that we have, because she's not doing that great on it. Most people would think I'm crazy and wouldn't think there's an "issue" but I don't like how her coat (or her poop) has looked since she's been put on it. I really, really wanted her to do well on it; but who knows, maybe it's just the flavors she's been on, maybe the red meats will work better.

Someone I work with feeds the LB Adult and she likes it, it definitely wouldn't hurt to try.
Lol, I know. I don't know why, I just really love Fromm, and want so badly for him to do well on it. But wasn't terribly impressed the last time we tried it. Well I kind of recall him doing okay on the duck, and he wasn't on it long enough for me to tell a difference in his coat (two 5lb bags) but the pork & applesauce gave him soft poo for sure. But then I always read so many rave reviews of others doing well on it (Yorkies in particular seem to).

I guess it just wouldn't hurt to try, and if he gets itchy again (he also got a lot of eye boogers on surf & turf, if I remember) then I guess we'll know for sure it's a no go.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Whitefish and potato seems to be on the bigger side for kibble sizes (out of 5 or so I had samples of). Salmon and tunalini is bigger than say, the salmon and the Game Bird, but still not all that big (it is bigger than ferret foods, though)

ETA: I know that has nothing to do with your original post :rofl1: The samples were right here, and I was bored... :p

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Haha yeah I feel like my dog is screwed up for having issues on it, since it seems like everyone else loves it!
Maybe we're just too picky about what "doing well" means. :p

And I can't for the life of me understand why they decided to make all their kibble sizes so itty bitty. Juno doesn't care, but it's still weird to me lol.

Lyzelle

I really liked how the dogs did on Surf n Turf, but I had the same issues with small kibble sizes. The dogs were so confused, and it kind of made things complicated when they tried inhaling their food. There was a lot of hacking involved. And a few may have gone up their noses.

But I really did like the results. They did gain weight a little more easily on it, though. Other issue was, our dog feed store was ALWAYS out of it. So we had to switch.

JacksonsMom

I really liked how the dogs did on Surf n Turf, but I had the same issues with small kibble sizes. The dogs were so confused, and it kind of made things complicated when they tried inhaling their food. There was a lot of hacking involved. And a few may have gone up their noses.

But I really did like the results. They did gain weight a little more easily on it, though. Other issue was, our dog feed store was ALWAYS out of it. So we had to switch.
:rofl1:

I can imagine a bigger dog being confused. Even Jackson, who is only about 15lbs, gets confused.

I do remember the pork & applesauce not being terribly small... average-ish sized. But he didn't do that well on that one.

I did look into the whitefish, but he can be really picky with fish-products. He won't eat MOST fish-flavored foods, except for Acana pacifica which stunk to high heaven IMO and I won't feed it anymore for my sake LOL. I wish they sold little sample bags of their food so I could try it first. I always feel bad returning a whole bag, even though I know they will take it back.

JacksonsMom

Haha yeah I feel like my dog is screwed up for having issues on it, since it seems like everyone else loves it!
Maybe we're just too picky about what "doing well" means. :p

And I can't for the life of me understand why they decided to make all their kibble sizes so itty bitty. Juno doesn't care, but it's still weird to me lol.
Yeah, I'm probably WAY too picky and nobody else would notice anything different about him, but I do. I pay way too much attention, haha.

I seem to remember hearing something about "better digestion" or something with the small kibbles? but don't quote me on that.

Yes, I'm feeding that exact food now, Gold large breed adult, to Enda and little Mini Dachsie Noods. They are doing fine on it, although Noods is still in need of weight loss, but at this point that is more of a lack of exercise issue. I think Enda's poops are fine, they smell, but they always smell on kibble no matter what it is.

I've fed all four of the Four-Star grain-free varieties, and they're all super tiny kibble. I would say the rest of the Four-Star line and the Gold line are all about average/small size - bigger than the grain-free, but still on the smaller side.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
If it makes you guys feel any better, Frodo wouldn't do well on it if we tried him with it (because Frodo is no egg, and they use egg in every formula :p)

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Another issue you may have finding a large kibble size is that most large breed kibble foods only come in large bags, which would probably last Jackson 12 years :p

I just got a bag of the Large Breed Adult. I can't say I am impressed with the ingredients:

Duck, Chicken Meal, Chicken, Oatmeal, Pearled Barley, Brown Rice, White Rice, ect.

So once the water is out of the Chicken & Duck, they are moved further down on the list.

So really it should say:
Chicken Meal, Oatmeal, Pearled Barley, Brown Rice, White Rice, ect.

Never go into the petstore when you are in a rush. I wanted to try something different (I rotate brands) and knew this brand is supposed to be premium.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
I just got a bag of the Large Breed Adult. I can't say I am impressed with the ingredients:

Duck, Chicken Meal, Chicken, Oatmeal, Pearled Barley, Brown Rice, White Rice, ect.

So once the water is out of the Chicken & Duck, they are moved further down on the list.

So really it should say:
Chicken Meal, Oatmeal, Pearled Barley, Brown Rice, White Rice, ect.

Never go into the petstore when you are in a rush. I wanted to try something different (I rotate brands) and knew this brand is supposed to be premium.
It IS premium. Yes, their Gold line is more grain heavy than some of their other four star foods. "Premium" doesn't just mean super meat heavy.

IMO Fromm is premium for the quality of their ingredients, the dependability of the company, and because I think they made kick-ass dog food. You also have to take into account just how much meat is put into the food. The ingredient list is set up in order of weight. So, for example (and these are obviously not real numbers :rofl1:), there could be 100 pounds of chicken meal and 10 pounds of oatmeal going into the product. Meaning it is still very meat heavy. There just has to be less, in weight, of everything after the previous ingredient, that doesn't speak to HOW MUCH of each ingredient there is in the food. This makes sense in MY head at least :p

I would rather feed a food where I know that the ingredients are of the highest quality, though maybe contains less meat, than an ingredient panel where the first 5 ingredients are meat meals from less than stellar sources. Because meat/protein content alone doesn't matter, grade of meat/protein matters too.

But then again, this is the ingredient list of the food I feed, and I think it is absolutely the best pet food company out there.
Herring Meal, Split Peas, Menhaden Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), Sun-Cured Alfalfa, Aspergillus Niger Fermentation Culture, Aspergillus Oryzae Fermentation Culture, Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Culture, Sun-Cured Kelp, FOS (prebiotic), Potassium Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Sodium Chloride, Selenium, Fenugreek, Taurine, Vitamin E, Zinc Proteinate, Papaya, Rose Hips, Vitamin C, Niacin, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Manganese Proteinate, Vitamin A, Vitamin D3, Riboflavin, Biotin, Vitamin B-12, Folic Acid, Potassium Proteinate.
I think saying that Fromm is not a premium food is quite a stretch.

Ok premium isn't the word I should have used, I meant meat-content wise. Not really putting the company down, this is one product out of many. I bet the grain free has more meat.

I did look at the protein level (23% minimum) on my bag too. Which imo, is low-ish. The TOTW I was feeding was a bit higher than that. But I don't want to mess with Diamond anymore.

I will have to check out the grain free. ;)

ETA:
I get exactly what you are saying, (throwing imaginary numbers out there) it could be 90% Chicken Meal & 10% everything else. That is what sucks about dog food, you can read (& understand) the back of the bag but in some ways you still don't know a d@mn thing LOL!

JacksonsMom

It IS premium. Yes, their Gold line is more grain heavy than some of their other four star foods. "Premium" doesn't just mean super meat heavy.

IMO Fromm is premium for the quality of their ingredients, the dependability of the company, and because I think they made kick-ass dog food. You also have to take into account just how much meat is put into the food. The ingredient list is set up in order of weight. So, for example (and these are obviously not real numbers :rofl1:), there could be 100 pounds of chicken meal and 10 pounds of oatmeal going into the product. Meaning it is still very meat heavy. There just has to be less, in weight, of everything after the previous ingredient, that doesn't speak to HOW MUCH of each ingredient there is in the food. This makes sense in MY head at least :p

I would rather feed a food where I know that the ingredients are of the highest quality, though maybe contains less meat, than an ingredient panel where the first 5 ingredients are meat meals from less than stellar sources. Because meat/protein content alone doesn't matter, grade of meat/protein matters too.

But then again, this is the ingredient list of the food I feed, and I think it is absolutely the best pet food company out there.

I think saying that Fromm is not a premium food is quite a stretch.
This x100000.

JW, is that food you posted Canine Caviar? If so, I LOVE what I've read about all their foods and their company... but why are pretty much all of the formulas so high in cals? They seem like a LOT at 599 kcals/cup. And let me tell you, Jackson LOVES to eat. I don't think I could give him less than 2/3 cup on a good day (he gets 1/2 cup on a lazy day of a 430 kcal/cup food). Would I have to feed significantly less? In the summer, when he's swimming a ton, he can even get as much as 3/4 cup per day.

Members online

No members online now.