Don't get me wrong

AGonzalez

Not a lurker
I love my neighbors and friends, but enough is enough!

I'm trying my hardest to get Lily to stop jumping on people. So far, she doesn't jump on anyone in my house, but when a visitor comes, it's a new story.

What irritates me the most is instead of ignoring her when she jumps on them, like I've asked/begged/pleaded them to do, no they pet her and let her claw them all up...then tell me my dog is obnoxious:rolleyes:

How the hell does that work?!

So, how do I keep her from jumping on people when all she gets when she does is reward for being obnoxious?!

elegy

overdogged
oh god i hear you. nothing i have said to my parents has stopped them for rewarding and encouraging my dogs to jump all over them, claw them for cookies, and act like general JERKS. for awhile my mother was not allowed to feed my dogs cookies because she was constantly rewarding them for being HORRIBLE. and then she started sneaking cookies to them anyway. *sigh*

Doberluv

I hear ya. I get the same thing with the licking Chihuahuas. "Oh, I don't mind. They're sooooo cute." Uggg. I guess the only thing you could try would be having her on a leash at times like those and stepping inbetween the visitors and her, walking into her space and keeping yourself between them so she can't jump. If they won't help you train by ignoring her until she settles, maybe you'll have to tie her to another door knob way across the room or put her out of the room entirely. Then bringing her in on a leash and removing her if she jumps up, even if they do pay attention to her. Back and forth; remove, try again, remove, try again. That way if the people aren't reinforced by getting to pat her (if that's what they like to do) because she is removed when they do, they might catch onto what you're trying to do. You also might try a clicker and catching her when she's on all fours with a click and a tasty treat. The second she jumps, remove her for half a minute or so with no attention or speaking from you. If your guests get irritated with all this training stuff going on...the leash, the walking out of the room, the returning, all the commotion and not getting your attention for themselves, they might also tend to want to help you because they lose out when all your attention has to be on your dog. If they make a move to try and help you or go along with what you are asking, be sure to reinforce them. Break out your best bottle of wine or your most tasty appetizers. LOL.

R

RedyreRottweilers

RR will behave and pay no attention to jumping doggy for wine and appeteasers.

:D

AGonzalez

Not a lurker
LOL RR, and good post Dober...
It's not like she's tiny and cute and the jumping isn't going to hurt someone. That's 60 lbs of claws that stand at about my shoulders when she jumps on people...not only ouch but she can almost push me over...not cool.

She does settle down after a min or two of having a guest over, but until then, wow...it's like having a puppy on crack all over them.

I think it's the submissive "omg I love you and I want to be in your face" puppy attitude, as she's pretty submissive...even a loud vocal correction and she hits the floor and pees :rolleyes:

As for right now I've been dragging her away from visitors and going in the other room. Might not work so good on training my visitors because most of them aren't coming to visit me lol and don't mind if I'm not there or paying attention to them.

corgipower

Tweleve Enthusiest
If they're going to be a visitor in my house, they're going to treat my dog according to my rules. If they allow my dog to jump on them, they can leave. Negative punishment works on people. Then again, I don't get many visitors :p

R

RedyreRottweilers

If I were having this problem, here is how I would handle it.

I would target train the pup without distractions to stay on a mat, and then build her tolerance to distractions. Once she understands about staying on the target, when guests come over, first I would CRATE the dog until guests are in, seated, and some of the excitement has died down.

Then I would bring the pup out on lead and put her on her target. Keep her on lead, and just put her back with soft praise each time she tries to get off of the mat. Once she is CALM, allow her to visit in a controlled manner with the guests, and then put her back on the mat.

Work up to her being on the mat when you answer the door.

Criosphynx

I remember reading som'where about turning the invitation to jump up (the whole leg patting thing) into the cue for sit. Can you imagine guests and how confused they'd be if the dog just sat there and stared at them while they encouraged jumping? lol

R

RedyreRottweilers

These extreme high distraction times are also when I will play the No Lookie No Cookie game with my dogs, or do a couple of fronts and finishes with attention for treats.

Then I will allow visiting, then call the dog back for NLNC. I start this very early with puppies, letting them get distracted, and then calling them back to me to front for cookie games. This translates to a SUPER recall under distraction, and great attention under distraction.

:D

AGonzalez

Not a lurker
Alright RR, I'm game for that. I'm going to look up your thread (I remember someone mentioning it) about the no lookie no cookie thing. :)

Members online

No members online now.