Another victim of puppy millers

Like 4 years ago my aut purshased a shar pei puppy of a street vendor. :/
A month later he stoped eating and days later he died of distemper, a horrible death,I saw him a week before he died, seeing his face so sick was so painfull.

My cosuin (not the dauther of the aunt I'm talking) said she told me she wanted a male shar pei, what I replied to be really carefull, TO DON'T BUY A PUPPY FROM THE STREET, I make her remember the case of our aunt, also said to don't buy a puppy if it dosen't have vaccines.

But You see, two weeks ago my cousing was in her car and pass in front of a fast food restaurant where is a traffict light.

In that place is very common too see people sellling puppies, this time they where selling a male shar pei.... but she buy the pup :yikes:

Looks like seeing the cute pup she forgot about what happened to my aunt's pei, also what I told her.
The puppy didn't had vaccines or was de-wormed.

And guess what?...............

Two days later the puppy stoped eathing and started to vomit worms, also he had fewers.

She took him to the vet and he was full of wormes and he had a severe infection in the stomash caused to rotten food and contamided water what the seller shurely feed to his puppies.

The puppy could't retain food in his stomash so the only was was injected serum :( and she had to lkeep appart the puppy from her others dogs, since he could infect them, so he's in a room appart from the others.

Now the puppy is out of danger and stared to eat again, but there's still a risk.

Is so horrible what the puppie milllers do, they don't care about animals at alll.

PLEASE DONT FLAME HER, my cousing learned the lession by the hard way.

She admit she make a huge mistake and she is not going to buy from the street or whit out vaccines again. :hail:

She lost many money on vet care, also the painfull experience on seeing her puppy so sick.

Last edited:
yesterday I took my two turtles to a checkup whit the vet, and since buyin safely a dog is so hard here, I asked her some sugestions.

Since but most of the people who sell dogs here don't offer a guaranty at all, the best you can get are 4 days guaranty, if you find a bigger day guaranty you have a extreme good luck.

So what she suggested me is when I buy the pup is to take it as soon as possible and take blood, poop and other exams and if the puppy is sick to claim to the seller.

It looks like a good idea.

What I find interestin is she told me afther that:

"but don't buy a puppy from the street, when people come here whit sick puppies it happens most of the times they where purshased from the streets,they are really sick and most of them die" :(

So I had to tell her about what happened to my cousing.

Ah and question, can a 2 month puppy could be checked for hips and patella exams? :confused:

wookie130

How sad...I hope the little shar pei pup pulls through fine. Here in the U.S. (at least in Iowa), I haven't seen too many actual street vendors for puppies...the puppy mills here are usually located in rural areas, or on the remote countryside, where they won't draw as much attention.

My step-son's mother, however (as dumb as she is), did buy a cocker spaniel pup off of a guy at the park one day. The pup is seemingly healthy, but she didn't know that when she exchanged the $200 for him...for all she knew, the pup could have been in the early stages of a horrible disease. *sigh* It just makes me ashamed to be human sometimes. :(

bubbatd

I got a call once from someone I knew asking if I was going to have a litter soon . I told him not me personally but was going to breed my male to a female up north when she came into heat and I'd have pick of the litter. He didn't want to wait , so bought a Golden from local pet store . He had to put the poor baby down as it was so sick . He waited the 6 months and got a healthy pup from me .

Yes rushing is the worst a person can do in buying anything.

I'm so sick of puppy millers.

you see guys I just sent a e-mail to a newspaper here. and is the most popular newspaper here too.

They have a pet section on sundays and since they are asking for contribution histories I sent a note about the dangers of puppy millers and street dog vendors. ;)

I don't know if they are going to publish it, but if they do I know I'm not stop all those people from buying or the puppy millers, but if at least one or two persons belive is s risk buying dogs from street is enough for me :D

bubbatd

Do the best you can to educate people there !!! If we're still having problems here , I can imagine what it's like down there !!

Cool! in they actully publish the letter in the newspaper.

Take that street vendor puppy millers :mad:

I know is really hard here,but at least people could ask for vassines before buying

Very few people give you a guarantee and is only for few days, but something is better than nothing.

You see, I was asking my vet and she told me when you get a puppy to take her/him fastes as you can and make blood exams, and if is sick to claim. (since the guarantee is only for few days)

In this next week it will be a dog show in a mall , (yeah INSIDE of a mall near the electric stairs :eek: )

I'm going and maybe have luck this time contacting people who have breeds I whant :popcorn:

Mach1girl

Ever since Daizy and her distemper (which was caught by a mysterious reason, still dont know how!!!) I wont even touch a strange dog! There are so many puppymillers at our local trade day (flea market) it will make you puke! Literally. But no matter how cute or sweet, or pitiful they are, I have to pass them. I know I have to because I will not risk my dogs catching something from them.

It is sad. Very sad. Not always the breeders fault, but sad!

dfisk

That is so very sad. I hope the puppy makes a full recovery. I breed dogs but, mine are all wormed at 2 week intervals until they go to their forever homes. I also give them their first two sets of shots a 5 in 1 and a 7 in 1. My babies are all guaranteed for a year against breed defects. (Hips displaysia, luxating patella ect.) It is just sad to hear others don't care about the dogs they breed or their offspring.

S

savethebulliedbreeds

dfisk. What kind of dogs to breed? Do you health test the parents...like hips, eyes, heart etc?

Just to let you know defects like that don't usually show up until well past a year.

Take a look around here in the breeding forum. There are a ton of threads on proper/ethical breeding.

Hope you enjoy learning :D

S

savethebulliedbreeds

NM. I answered my own questions.

Please do read some of the threads. They may be very helpful to you.

I see you register your dogs with APRI. Why not breed CKC (Canadian Kennel Club) or AKC (American Kennel Club) dogs? The APRI used to be an insurance company and they cater to distributers which get their dogs from puppy mills.

They just aren't a very respectable registry.

Do you show your dogs?

We are NOT judged by our mistakes but how we correct them.
hopefully she learned a lesson.

But again that pup did have love for 2 days it would not have on the street so I am 100% DO not support millers of backyard breeders.

I understand the sympathy buy cause I did it from a later convicted puppymiller others still call friend.

Members online

No members online now.