Inducing Vomiting?

Lyzelle

I've always heard Hydrogen Peroxide to induce vomiting, and I've always heard of it working.

But I've tried to induce vomiting in Zander twice now(luckily not OMG moments), and it didn't work either time. I've heard everything from a capful to 5cc's per 10lbs of bodyweight, and Zane is 70lbs. This time I gave him max 20cc's(min 10cc's), and nothing happened except some initial foaming. So, is my dosage off? Or does it just not work on some dogs?

MericoX

Roos, Poos, & a Wog!
I've had to dose mine a few times before anything came up. I did 5ml per 10# body weight every 10 minutes until they barfed.

I've also heard a spoonful of salt does the trick, but never done it.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
With Auggie I have had to induce vomiting an unfortunate number of times (he has a suicidal streak.) I now have it down to a science.

He weighs 15 pounds. I do two capfuls then I put him between my legs, pick him up, and kind of... shake him around. It sounds awful but it's not like THAT kind of shaking. I swish him from side to side and hop him up and down a little bit.

Works like a charm within a couple minutes.

Only ONE TIME have I had to induce vomiting on Payton and I did the exact same thing and he also hurled for me within a couple minutes. My mom was trying to induce vomiting with Georgie once and couldn't get her to throw up... I gave her a second capful, shook her around, TA-DA!! Magic.

Things I am really good at: free catches of urine and inducing vomiting.

Obviously Zander is bigger so you can't really pick him up, but like Greenmagick said, running him around should do the trick. You just want to get it mixing around in their belly.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
I used an unmeasured turkey baster and kept forcing it, massaging the tummy, and walking the dog until it came up. I have only done it a few times to Shamoo though.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
After talking to my vet, I now dose Kes at about 2-3 times the normal amount, then go throw the ball around a bit to get him bouncing. Works like a charm!

momto8

It does not work on Ace, thankfully not omg moments. We have tripled the amount and ran him all over, played ball ect and all he does is burp.

DJEtzel

I had a scare with Sir many months ago where he may or may not have eaten a bottle of excedrin while we were grocery shopping. Got home, tried to induce vomiting and nothing happened.

I posted a status on facebook about it and was old by a handful of [dog] people that if the hydrogen peroxide bottle has been opened it usually will not work for some scientific reason that was beyond my comprehension. *Shrugs* So now I keep a small unopened bottle in the first aid cabinet just in case.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
OH! Very good point! Hydrogen peroxide breaks down into just oxygen and water if opened for too long.

Members online

No members online now.