Bamm growling and lunging at people

AliciaD

On second thought...
Pushing is a variable term... Means different things to different people.
True. Sometimes just mentioning it too early (again, subjective) is seen as too pushy.

Like if someone on here made a "I might be pregnant" thread and I said, "oh, well, there's always abortion" some would see it as too pushy. I don't think I would ever actually say that, I don't think I could bring it up first- although I wouldn't think less of the poster if they made that decision for themselves.

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
^This x 1 million.

Only you can make that call.. People sitting on the other side of the computer screen who have never met the dog cannot even pretend to know enough about the situation to push a decision as drastic as that.
True. Sometimes just mentioning it too early (again, subjective) is seen as too pushy.

Like if someone on here made a "I might be pregnant" thread and I said, "oh, well, there's always abortion" some would see it as too pushy. I don't think I would ever actually say that, I don't think I could bring it up first- although I wouldn't think less of the poster if they made that decision for themselves.
I guess I see "pushy" as, "Well the only responsible thing is to PTS" and that was not what was being said. IMHO when the OP is saying that she is very concerned about the dog with kids and kids are on the horizon I don't see merely mentioning the possibility as out of line...

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
We had a pretty good day today. He was acting really anxious, more anxious than usual but he didn't lunge at anyone today. He did focus on a young guy earlier that was further away and would not stop staring the guy down during our walk but other than that it was a good day. He started sucking on his pass again though. Oy. He used to do that a lot when I first got him. All the moisture from him sucking and chewing on his paws turns his white paws pink. What can I try to deter him from doing that? Bitter apple maybe?

AliciaD

On second thought...
We had a pretty good day today. He was acting really anxious, more anxious than usual but he didn't lunge at anyone today. He did focus on a young guy earlier that was further away and would not stop staring the guy down during our walk but other than that it was a good day. He started sucking on his pass again though. Oy. He used to do that a lot when I first got him. All the moisture from him sucking and chewing on his paws turns his white paws pink. What can I try to deter him from doing that? Bitter apple maybe?
Or you could distract him with something to chew, like a bone, or kong, but this may be more management mode than training mode.

If his paws are already raw, I would use some tea tree oil (1 part) and coconut oil (15 parts). The dogs think it's nasty and won't lick themselves while it's on, :D

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
Distracting him with chews isn't enough to distract him from doing it honestly. He likes chews and kongs but he will go right to sucking his paws. He doesn't have any open sores right now from it.

AliciaD

On second thought...
Ah! Poor baby. Cam used to be a dedicated paw chewer, but it stopped for the most part after she was put on thyroid meds. Duncan still chews and licks occasionally, but for him the tea tree oil helps.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
I'm going to try the tea tree oil and coconut oil mix you mentioned since you said that dogs don't really like the taste.

AliciaD

On second thought...
I'm going to try the tea tree oil and coconut oil mix you mentioned since you said that dogs don't really like the taste.
I hope it helps! I've never tasted tea tree oil, but if the smell is any indication it is strong, haha.

Members online

No members online now.