Post Spay Questions

DanL

Do females go through hormonal changes after a spay? I've noticed Gunnar is paying a lot of attention to Daisy's "nether regions" the last few days- sniffing, licking etc. He's also very intrigued with her incision, we call him Dr Gunnar because he wants to lick at it for her.

He's never paid any attention to any dog in a sexual manner, so I'm wondering if she's got something special going on that is of interest to him.

Biz was just neutered and Gabbi keeps smelling his incision, so I'm guessing it has the healing smell. When I fell and skinned my knee both dogs kept smelling my knee thru the bandaid and my sweats.
I only had Gabbi when she was spayed and I don't remember her acting different, but that was last year and I really only retain water these days :lol-sign:

GlassOnion

Thanks, and Gig 'em.
Probably just curious. It's a new smell, not necessarily hormonal either. It has the smell of new tissue being formed, the smell of sutures, the smell of the clinic it was done in, the smell of anesthesia that has lingered on the skin. There's a lot of new smells and he's curious.

Barb04

Super Moderator
I think it may be because she just had the operation and there is a smell. I know if one of my dogs gets a cut, the other one wants to lick it.

R

RedyreRottweilers

Some male dogs are very interested in a female that has any urinary tract infection. I'd check for that.

DanL

I had lost track of this thread!

Redyre, what would be signs of a UTI? She's not showing any discomfort or increased frequency in urinating. She did have some discharge the 1st couple days after the spay.

We took out all but 1 stitch in her incision. One seemed to have a mild infection (a little weepy) which is probably why he's constantly investigating it.

Members online

No members online now.